Jack Jones Killin' It on Sullivan, 1964, with "My Favorite Things."

19 hours ago, GA Russell said:

!!  The Christmas Waltz has long been a favorite of mine.

I didn't know that My Favorite Things was associated with Christmas as early as 1964.  I wonder who was the first to link the two.

Here's the story:

When the rights to the film adaptation of The Sound of Music were secured, the studio began thinking of creative ways to forward-market the film.  Someone at the studio had the idea of turning "My Favorite Things" into a Christmas song.  There was apparently a big lobbying effort.  At any rate, both Jack Jones and the Supremes recorded the song for their respective Christmas albums, both released in 1964.  And the tradition continued from there. 

Incidentally, Jack's 1964 Christmas album, on Kapp, is a real favorite of mine.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

15 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Here's the story:

When the rights to the film adaptation of The Sound of Music were secured, the studio began thinking of creative ways to forward-market the film.  Someone at the studio had the idea of turning "My Favorite Things" into a Christmas song.  There was apparently a big lobbying effort.  At any rate, both Jack Jones and the Supremes recorded the song for their respective Christmas albums, both released in 1964.  And the tradition continued from there. 

Incidentally, Jack's 1964 Christmas album, on Kapp, is a real favorite of mine.

Thanks TTK!

I had forgotten that I have a re-release of the Jack Jones Christmas LP.  It's been years.  I'll have to dig it out.  The song that I remember is the song about St. Bernadette.

I had no idea that The Supremes (or any other Motown) Christmas album was released as early as '64.  I don't think that I started noticing them until a couple of years later.