Irvin Mayfield

RainyDay

I think I mentioned this on another thread somewhere a couple weeks ago, but has anyone heard this? Any opinions? I was out looking for Dennis Gonzalez's Desert Wind and found Half Past Autumn Suite instead. Some very good stuff on this record.

I've heard Mayfield perform live with Los Hombres Calientes and was very impressed with his chops. Later, I read about his solo projects and this one was mentioned as one of his better efforts. It's an interesting recording. Yesterday, I played it three times straight through and liked it more each time. It has a very different energy level and unique voice from what I typially hear. A little out, mostly in. Mostly high energy, up tempo.

Anybody have any opinions of his playing in general?

Edited by RainyDay

We had it in rotation when it was new, and it got a fair deal of play . . . people seemed to like it generally.

It may have been the cover, which to me just seems drip frat-boy fantasy, but I thought there was something not quite fully done about the record, that Mayfield should have been doing something other than trying to do a suite, that a certain pretentiousness had slipped in which Mayfield wasn't capable of distinguishing from artistic seriousness.

Mayfield's a work in progresss, though, which is cool. he's trying to negotiate a complex world both in terms of music and in terms of identity, and I respect his effort and the undoubted successes here.

--eric

We had it in rotation when it was new, and it got a fair deal of play . . . people seemed to like it generally.

It may have been the cover, which to me just seems drip frat-boy fantasy, but I thought there was something not quite fully done about the record, that Mayfield should have been doing something other than trying to do a suite, that a certain pretentiousness had slipped in which Mayfield wasn't capable of distinguishing from artistic seriousness.

Mayfield's a work in progresss, though, which is cool. he's trying to negotiate a complex world both in terms of music and in terms of identity, and I respect his effort and the undoubted successes here.

--eric

You referred to the cover as a frat boy fantasy and I don't get what you are referring to. The CD jacket cover with he and Gordon Parks?

I have an early book of his photographs somewhere around here. Wasn't that a terrific photography exhibit? There's also a documentary that's been floating around on cable about his life., can't recall the title now.

Good. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I must have a brain tumor or something.

--eric

• 4 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/investigations/irvin-mayfield/71705584

Mayfield has recorded a salary of between $100,000 and $148,000 a year as NOJO’s artistic director and Markham has made $100,000 a year plus benefits as the orchestra’s executive director, according to tax records. In addition, NOJO has paid Mayfield’s publishing company as much as $109,000 a year for its concert productions and other work.

Combined, Mayfield and his production company were paid $210,000 by NOJO in the year ending June 30, 2015, the audit said, all without anything in writing. The audit calls that a significant deficiency, along with some other accounting issues, and NOJO management responded by promising to fix them.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/investigations/david-hammer/emails-suggest-irvin-mayfield-sought-more-library-money_20160426062907124/153556917

But the station did interview Mayfield's predecessor as Library Foundation president, Craig Mitchell, who said that on several occasions, he had to block Mayfield from using his position on the Library Foundation to collect extra money for himself. 

He said Mayfield tried to use his charm and celebrity to push questionable deals past the other library board members, and emails from March, April and May 2008 show two apparent examples.

In March, Mayfield presented the city library board with a contract to establish a New Orleans Public Library book publishing label.
Emails show that the library system was eager to announce a deal, but Mitchell had questions — including about a contract provision that would establish compensation for the "New Orleans Cultural Ambassador."
Mitchell said he knew that Mayfield had been named the city's official cultural ambassador by then-Mayor Ray Nagin in 2003. Mitchell interpreted the language as an effort by Mayfield to get paid under the book label deal.
Mitchell said. "Once I brought it to light it was pretty much dead. Because you could see on the surface and see that it didn't make sense."

Mitchell also recalled that the Library Foundation paid for Mayfield and members of his orchestra to travel to Minnesota in March 2008 and play fundraising gigs during a national library convention. Press coverage at the time praised Mayfield for his energy and dedication to raising money for the city libraries.
But Mitchell said that when Mayfield returned, he had collected a new title for himself, jazz director for the Minnesota Orchestra, and did not turn over any proceeds from the performances.

>>>>>>>>

sounds like he's got the Kwame Kilpatrick bug.

more articles at

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/irvin-mayfield-new-orleans-jazz-orchestra-investigation/243871530

another good article. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/09/did-a-jazzman-bilk-big-easy-s-libraries.html

Did a Jazzman Bilk Big Easy’s Libraries?
Irvin Mayfield, leader of the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, has been accused of diverting hundreds of thousands of dollars from a library foundation into the orchestra’s coffers...

Edited by l p

• 1 month later...