Quincy Jones Mid-60s Jazz (or Quasi-Jazz) Scores

Teasing the Korean

What do you think of Q's mid-60s jazz or pseudo-jazz scores?

In particular, I am thinking of:

• The Pawnbroker
  • Deadly Affair
  • Mirage
  • The Slender Thread
  • In the Heat of the Night

But also not limiting it to these, either.

These albums/scores, along with those by Kenyon Hopkins and Lalo Schifrin from this period, really form the basis of US jazz scoring from this period, and went a long way toward shaping the aesthetics of TTK.

I also love the concentric circle designs used on four of the five albums I listed.

15 hours ago, felser said:

To me, the Jones scores were hit or miss - I recently sold off a CD set of them.  But the score to The Pawnbroker is magnificent for sure.

Agree.  I really hate, though, the title song as sung by that kid in an overwrought manner.  I always skip it, and I don't think the kid ever did anything else.  I'm guessing his inclusion was done as a favor to someone.

In the Heat is marred by some unfortunate hee-haw tunes, easily skipped if you have the CD version, but otherwise is pretty solid, ranging from R&B-ish stuff to dramatic jazzy.

Mirage is the most Mancini-ish, at least the LP version is, especially with the vocal chorus singing the main theme.  "Shoot to Kill" on that album is fantastic.

Edited by Teasing the Korean