need a mini digital recorder

AmirBagachelles

Here's my problem. My turntable and phono pre-amp are 100 miles away from my iMac DV which I use to burn discs. What is an efficient (small, <$500) way to capture digitally from my analog system, tote it back to my apt in the city to work on it in Toast? Is there something simpler and smaller than a laptop or portable DAT to capture the music in full fidelity? thanks

I've used a Sony Mini-disc. You can find them on E-bay. In fact the one I bought is also great for recording live music. I've done it at 2 recent shows. If this is the route you go, MZ-R*

I'd second the rec on MZ-R, but treat it kindly and be careful of your connections, etc (i.e. monitor prior to recording and at the start of recording).

I've done some fabulous recordings with this machine and a relatively cheap stereo mic, but I've also gotten and hour of ground hum and I've been through three of them in four years (they get hard use).

--eric