Need help cleaning a NAD 3020

AmirBagachelles

I've been told that I won't be able to get the thing clean and eliminate "knob-noise". It still sounds great except when adjusting volume and other settings. So I use it as a power amp, but I would like to once again use it as an integrated amp in a small setting. Has anybody conquered this problem? Is there a surface that is not naturally accessible on the 3020? thanks

Have you tried simply turning the knob up and down lots of times (with unit in off position)? It's a rather crude approach, but sometimes effective, if only for a while. Beyond this, most electronics stores have various contact cleaners for rheostats/potentiometers and might be able to suggest an approach to get those cleaners where they need to be - inside.

Who told you it couldn't be cleaned? If it was an authorized NAD service center ir even a service center with extensive NAD experience, you may be out of luck. If the volume potentiometer is sealed, you may have to buy a new one. This could be expensive but should be much less than a new unit.

If I were you, I'd open the thing up and look at the trouble spots. If you can see the potentiometers, simply stop into your local Radio Shack and pick of a can of contact cleaner. Spray the heck out of the back of the volume knob while rotating it. You may have to do it several times. It might be enough.

If some of the spray drips onto the circuit board, don't worry, it will evaporate, but look to see if any junk is floating in it.

NOTE: Let it dry for a bit before turning it back on.

Kevin