The JPs

Stefan Wood

Where are our Scandinavian posters when we need them? This is courtesy of the Finnish Music Information Centre.

J-P Virtanen

April 17, 1966

piano, organ, composer

The leading torchbearer of rootsy organ jazz in Finland, J-P Virtanen began with the piano at age eight. His formative private lessons were soon embellished with three years at the Pop & Jazz Conservatory during the keyboardist's early teens.

At the age of fifteen J-P got fascinated by his father's Vox Continental organ and started on a path of no return. Albums by Jimmy Smith, Larry Young and Big John Patton made a lasting impression and the youngster started practicing with newfound energy and enlightment.

The organ grinder's mid-to-late-80's were spent among the most groovy groups in Helsinki from The Bullworkers to The Cool Sheiks. After The Bullworkers' hectic series of jam sessions at the legendary Kappeli restaurant in Helsinki, the boss of boogaloo branched out by taking on some rock gigs and studio work.

The JP's

In 1993 J-P founded his most recent group The JP's, which has so far released four albums; first two were "Micro Jazz Groove" in 1993 and "Soul Food Party" in 1996. The latter was released also in Japan, and has so far sold a respectable amount of 5,000 copies.

The trio of Virtanen, bass player Pekka Lehti and drummer/producer Janne Haavisto released in early 1998 their third album "Do you see what I see?", which was followed by "Katastrof" in 1999. Apart from his old heroes the Finnish duke of drawbars likes nowadays to listen to Benmont Tench, who in J-P's opinion has brought the tradition of organ playing beautifully into the 90's.

Okay, so I foolishly bought it from Dusty Groove. Got it in the mail yesterday. Listened to the first disc, and will sell it. Definitely NOT what I thought it would be, even based on the advertising. Awkward, James Taylor Quartet ish, bad attempt at funky soul jazz, the trio sound marred by "cool" and "hip" sound samples that do nothing but detract from the music. I'd rather listen to the Bad Plus. Big thumbs down! :tdown:angry:

See the thread about Singing and Playing the Blues.

I think similar guidelines apply here.

There is no such thing as a funky, soul jazz organ trio from HELSINKI!

Not to be racist, but those are the three WHITEST guys I've ever seen and I'm not even sure weed can grow in that climate.