Dave Douglas Sextet Live in UK

tonym

i'm thinking about seeing said band next week at the Wardrobe in Leeds, UK.

is it a good prospect?

ive heard a few things off his Thousand Evenings album -- not too impressed, however since then i hear he's been doing a few more projects in the vein of Miles' Directions stuff.

anyone feel strongly about this band? let me know.

cheers,tony.

saw the band last night.

thanks to all for the persuasion. i thoroughly enjoyed it.

they didn't play for that long but apparently the gig was recorded by the BBC so i hope it will be broadcast on Jazz On 3 soon. i'll then get it down on md.

i hope you enjoy the cheltenham show bev. and maybe some of you will go to brighton tonight.

the band played well together, in that it was very much a band performance and not so much of a leader supported by 'some other guys'.

i'm not sure how long they've played together for but, again, like any good band, they were able to alter the dynamic of the sound when the emphasis was shifted from one player to another.

they steered clear for the most part, of themes and solos; a couple of tunes felt like developments from an intro (gilmour certainly made his presence felt here -- at times coming over all Hendrix meets Schofield) into a full blown freak out.

when solos were taken, for example, during an absolutely stunning second tune with some wonderful 6/8 groove (i'll have to get some discs --no idea what these tunes are called) seamus blake avoided hystrionics but stayed amazingly restrained which only emphasised the wide palate of the music. gilmour added fantastic django-like rhythm here. fantastic.

i wasn't overly perturbed about the use of electronica, guys like binney, douglas, rypdal etc., are not just jumping onto some hip bandwagon in order to appeal to more people (if this does happen, i'm sure they're very happy) they know how to add textures and sounds in a very effective way. a very musical way.

shame they weren't selling cds.

cheers, tony.

saw the band last night.

thanks to all for the persuasion. i thoroughly enjoyed it.

they didn't play for that long but apparently the gig was recorded by the BBC so i hope it will be broadcast on Jazz On 3 soon. i'll then get it down on md.

i hope you enjoy the cheltenham show bev. and maybe some of you will go to brighton tonight.

the band played well together, in that it was very much a band performance and not so much of a leader supported by 'some other guys'.

i'm not sure how long they've played together for but, again, like any good band, they were able to alter the dynamic of the sound when the emphasis was shifted from one player to another.

they steered clear for the most part, of themes and solos; a couple of tunes felt like developments from an intro (gilmour certainly made his presence felt here -- at times coming over all Hendrix meets Schofield) into a full blown freak out.

when solos were taken, for example, during an absolutely stunning second tune with some wonderful 6/8 groove (i'll have to get some discs --no idea what these tunes are called) seamus blake avoided hystrionics but stayed amazingly restrained which only emphasised the wide palate of the music. gilmour added fantastic django-like rhythm here. fantastic.

i wasn't overly perturbed about the use of electronica, guys like binney, douglas, rypdal etc., are not just jumping onto some hip bandwagon in order to appeal to more people (if this does happen, i'm sure they're very happy) they know how to add textures and sounds in a very effective way. a very musical way.

shame they weren't selling cds.

cheers, tony.

the southampton show was great also (well i what i saw of it was i arrived at about 8:50 & they had been on stage since 8). Dave Gilmour's playing reminded me a little of Vernon Reid.

strange they were not selling CDs where you were , they did in Southampton , Dave Douglas was signing copies also. I bought Freak In - if you enjoyed the show its worth getting.

I'll definately have a MD at the ready for the radio broadcast.

• 2 months later...