Record Stores in Miami

marcoliv

it´s almost sure that my father will travel to Miami by the end of May so i need recommendations for him as he is charged to get a "few" things for me :g

by the way, is there someone from the board who lives in Miami?

thanks in advance

Marcus Oliveira

Marcus,

There's a Tower records in south Miami; depending on where your father is, he should go to the very end of I-95, and then just keep driving. I think its on the left as you head south. Can't say anything about its stock, I only heard about it and have never gone that far south to see it in person, and at the time I heard about it, I was told it was more Latin than anything else. Heck, for all I know its closed since then, so forget I mentioned it. ;)

The one place I'd recommend is Blue Note Records in North Miami Beach. The Jazz is located in the vinyl annex and isn't as great as it used to be but is still pretty good. The jazz vinyl is good too. Be aware though that the vinyl annex doesn't have the same hours as the main store; I think its now open Noon to 7 pm. They have a website, so you can check for a phone number. PM me if you want driving directions.

Otherwise, I think there're some other members more attuned to Miami stores-I stick mostly to Fort Lauderdale, with the occasional drive to Blue Note.

Really? I could have sworn the lady said "Tower", and I remember what tipped me off was a magazine ad for Tower that listed different cities, and one was definitely Miami. Maybe it did close after all ...

How is the Virgin store, BW? That might be worth the trip.

I believe the "Tower Records" he is talking about is actually the Virgin Megastore in the Sunset Place mall.

Yes, you're correct.

NO Tower Records in Florida.

I would say Borders has a decent selection of jazz. Last time I was at the Virgin store, I wasn't too impressed. (haven't been back)

Course, every so often, Virgin does have good CLEARANCE items. I think they had a big clearance sale at the end of the last year. Others on the board raved about some good deals the first day of the sale.

I use to go to BLUE NOTE, their selection was pretty good. But since they moved the jazz section to a warehouse-like building, I haven't gone back.

Edited by Tjazz

I use to go to BLUE NOTE, their selection was pretty good. But since they moved the jazz section to a warehouse-like building, I haven't gone back.

Are you aware that the move to the Jazz & Vinyl Annex has meant that all of their jazz vinyl is now available to browse? Might be a reason to go back ...

thanks guys for your rec´s.

Blue Note Records should be the one then as the Virgin Megastore. last time i went to Miami i´ve been there and on the Coconut Borders too. i remember that i´ve looked for a Tower store but didn't existed. i wasn´t SO addicted to jazz at this time so that´s why i had the idea to ask about it.

if there´s any member of Organissimo living in Miami it would be very helpful as i´m planning to place a huge order with Mosaic.

thanks once again dear friends

Marcus Oliveira

yeah Dan, this would be the best but i have already talked with Cindy (Mosaic) about the possibility to have them delivering the package at the hotel where he will stay (in Downtown). the thing is that he will stay up to 5-7 days so there´s room for something bad to happen...

i need to run an application for a job in the US and stop bothering you guys with all my troubles ;)

Marcus

yeah Dan, this would be the best but i have already talked with Cindy (Mosaic) about the possibility to have them delivering the package at the hotel where he will stay (in Downtown). the thing is that he will stay up to 5-7 days so there´s room for something bad to happen...

i need to run an application for a job in the US and stop bothering you guys with all my troubles ;)

Marcus

i work in downtown miami and would be glad to help.

pm me. B)

On Sunrise blvd near the Galleria, on the south side of the street, about a block west of the Borders, there is a terrific used store. Also the Borders there is very good and is on the water.

Who are you and how do you know about CD Collector?

You better stay away from there if you know what's good for you!!!

;)

On Sunrise blvd near the Galleria, on the south side of the street, about a block west of the Borders, there is a terrific used store. Also the Borders there is very good and is on the water.

This BORDERS is in Fort Lauderdale. (about 30 miles north of Miami)

The used record/cd store is near Borders is NOT CD Collector.

CD COLLECTOR is located on Altantic Blvd, further North in Pompano.

(tiny used store that also alot of boots) You may get lucky and find an occasional gem, but I usually don't. (so Dan, you don't have to worry about me visiting the store)

Course, if they have a BEAR FAMILY box set, I may be interested.

ALL BOOKS AND RECORDS in Oakland Park (gone now), used to get Mosaic box sets.

Dan, did you pickup that Maynard Ferguson Mosaic box?

The ALL BOOKS AND RECORDS in Searstown, Fort Lauderdale, on Sunrise/Federal Highway has organized their music section. Now, LPs are very expensive. They have new/promo CDs for about $9. I don't see anything rare or HTF.

On Sunrise blvd near the Galleria, on the south side of the street, about a block west of the Borders, there is a terrific used store.  Also the Borders there is very good and is on the water.

;)

I've been going to that one (Sean Kayes, owner - terrific guy) and the more northern CD Collector location west of the Intercoastal on Atlantic Blvd, for quite a few years now. So there's a bit of competition for the wonderfully priced 2nd hand jazz CDs down here, Dan.

On Sunrise blvd near the Galleria, on the south side of the street, about a block west of the Borders, there is a terrific used store.  Also the Borders there is very good and is on the water.

;)

I've been going to that one (Sean Kayes, owner - terrific guy) and the more northern CD Collector location west of the Intercoastal on Atlantic Blvd, for quite a few years now. So there's a bit of competition for the wonderfully priced 2nd hand jazz CDs down here, Dan.

No wonder I don't find any good jazz CDs when visit. :rolleyes:

I use to go to BLUE NOTE, their selection was pretty good.  But since they moved the jazz section to a warehouse-like building, I haven't gone back.

Are you aware that the move to the Jazz & Vinyl Annex has meant that all of their jazz vinyl is now available to browse? Might be a reason to go back ...

I remember the days at the main BLUE NOTE store, when Mosaic sets would be

priced without premiums.

Good for you, I'm not looking for jazz LPs any more. .

There used to be another used record store near BLUE NOTE, I think it was called Record Liquidators? So the trip to BLUE NOTE was worth the trip.

I use to go to BLUE NOTE, their selection was pretty good.  But since they moved the jazz section to a warehouse-like building, I haven't gone back.

I remember the days at the main BLUE NOTE store, when Mosaic sets would be

priced without premiums.

Good for you, I'm not looking for jazz LPs any more. .

There used to be another used record store near BLUE NOTE, I think it was called Record Liquidators? So the trip to BLUE NOTE was worth the trip.

Yeah, just south and east, still opposite that mall-their prices were awful though-but I did luck out when I happened into there on there going out of business blow-out sale.

Marty, Tjazz, reading this thread gave me the odd thought that the next time I'm standing in any of these stores, on the rare occasion there's someone else in the jazz section, it just might be someone from the board!

Maybe we ought to have a password of some sort ...

"Hey, buddy, ever hear of the best unknown organ trio, Organissimo?"

;)

my parents are having a hard time to renew their passports as the local authorities are on a long strike. they already have their tickets but they need the passports in order to get the visas (assuming that US consulate will deliver them) so their travel is not 100% confirmed.

the good news are as they can´t get a refund as the tickets are promotional ones, i may have to sacrifice myself and replace them :g

i will have this confirmation within this week :excited:

Marcus

;)

$2 off coupon in the local City Link (or was it the New Times)?

I'm wrong.

There is a CD Collector near Borders in Fort Lauderdale on Sunrise Blvd. He moved from the Pompano location. (he sold his old store and left the same name with the new owner)

The CD Collector in Fort Lauderdale is worth a stop. (Sorry guys) I found some JAZZ cds.

:w