Hard Bossa ?

Jim R

another nice recommendation for the hard bossa thread:

Trio 3-D - Tema 3D

3d~~~~~~~~~_tema3d~~~_101s.jpg

Trio 3-D - O Trio 3-D Convida

trio3d~~~~~_otrio3dco_101s.jpg

2 albums remastered and released under the RCA series "100 Anos de Musica" for the first time ever on CD

on the first one released in 1964 Antonio Adolfo, Nelson & Cacho mixed bossa nova & samba to jazz. Dom Um Romao is also there on 5 tracks

the second and final album released on 1965 shows some special guests such as Raul de Souza, JT Merelles & Eumir Deodato.

the first track of Tema 3D "Consolação" is FANTASTICO!!!!!!!!!

track 4 of 3-D Convida "Tamanco no Samba" is unbelievable!!!

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antonio Adolfo is also the composer of "Sá Marina" one of the biggest hits of Wilson Simonal.

the superb band who plays in most of the whole boxset of Wilson Simonal is Som Tres composed by Sebastiao Oliveira on bass aka Sabá, Cesar Camargo Mariano on piano and Toninho Pereira on drums. there is an excellent release of them "Toboga" where they play "O Telefone Tocou Novamente" from Jorge Ben (Salve Jorge!!!)

by the way, this Saturday i´m going to attend a Jorge Ben gig!! god knows how happy i am on a concert of him :excited:

Salve Jorge!!!

Marcus

un0053.gif

un0053.gif

Damnit this thread is killing me. That's a good thing Jim.

Ordered this on a lark, sort of, and must say as far as comps go this thing is the soundtrack to JimR's thread. Absolutely one of those expertly crafted amalgams that makes you thirst for more. Fabulously essential!!! Tenorio Jr. (featured a few times here) is as much a badass as Mendes and Vinhas!

Be not fooleed by the lack of creativity in the title ... this is Hard Bossa cum Cealis! :tup:tup:tup

Marcoliv, can you elaborate on that Powell boxed set - who put it out, what's on it (stuff for which labels etc) and where can I get it?

I'll jump in here. All the info on the Baden boxed set is on the "opus" pages of the #1 Baden Powell site (along with all his other recordings):

www.brazil-on-guitar.de/en/baden_powell/home.html

His most jazz-like recording IMO is Tempo Feliz. I discuss it on the "Brasilian Jazz" page of my site, along with a sound sample:

www.joecartermusic.com

Hope this helps.

Joe C.

i´m really excited with both releases from Trio 3-D!! 

I agree that those are two very good recordings. And they're playing some of my favorite tunes, like Baden's Berimbau and Consolacao. What's also interesting is their versions of the Jazz tunes like Fly Me To The Moon, My Heart Stood Still and Bye Bye Blackbird.

For some reason Antonio Adolfo has been overshadowed by other brazilian pianists from the 60s, like Cesar Carmargo Mariano, Sergio Mendes, Dom Salvador and others but IMO he swings hard. One of my favorite Elis recordings is Aquarela Do Brasil, Elis Regina & Toots Thielemans, primarily because of Antonio's playing on that recording. "Wave" is a standout.

Joe C.

• 2 weeks later...

here's my contribution! B-)

it's excellent!

Samba_Jazz-thumb.jpg

Thanks for mentioning that! :tup Joe C hipped me to this disc, but I forgot to mention it.

FWIW, I had saved the liner notes (written by Meirelles), so I thought I'd go ahead and post them:

The sequel to O Som, recorded in 1964, which is my first album and is considered a milestone in Brazilian instrumental music. It wouldn't be possible to recreate that moment - whose importance we didn't even realise at that time, only after. O Som is an album made by young musicians, who were still in the process of evolution. The quintet had been playing the compositions on that record for some time. Now, I find myself in the midst of new company, with experienced musicians with more baggage who were enthusiastic to participate in this project. And for this record we played together just once, in the studio, at the moment of recording.

This new work is the fruit of almost forty years experience, which is reflected in the ten compositions that I did especially for this record - my first compositions since that earlier time, in this line of samba jazz. My references have amplified. At that time, they were more external, from American jazz, because in São Paulo I had participated in various jazz concerts. So many years after, I have lived other things and I can see that the compositions on this new album are the result of more diverse influences. There is still the influence of jazz, but the tracks also have Brazilian elements in their making. This made the balance between samba and jazz different from the first album: there remains a jazz aesthetic - my playing style is still very much influenced by American jazz - but my compositions are no longer so much so.

The big difference for me lies in these new influences. It's another time. In general, the musicians, very influenced by Bossa Nova, like to play the compositions jazzily. But there are not many discs of this kind being recorded these days, therefore musicians don't compose specifically for this end. Today, technology is different too: the space of the CD is greater, so now it is natural that there is more diversity. The compositions on O Som weren't made to be recorded - they were played live, they were already part of our repertory. With the big success of the recording of "Mas, Que Nada !" by Jorge Ben, which I arranged, an opportunity came up to record a repertory which was already ready. Now, with the invitation from Dubas to record SAMBA JAZZ !!, I thought of the aesthetic conception of the record, so the result could be a continuity of the first.

As when I composed the tracks I already knew what musicians were going to record them, I tried to make the most of the style and the manner of each musician right from the start. Each has well-defined characteristics. When I recorded with the tenor sax on the first album, Pedro Paulo played a variation on the trumpet, the cornet, smaller and with a softer sound. It was a great combination ! In the recording of this SAMBA JAZZ !!, we tried various combinations of instruments with the alto sax. We tried with different trumpets, with the cornet. The flugelhorn was the ideal result. And so Guilherme recorded the whole disc with the flugelhorn, except for the solo on "Lembranças" when he plays the trumpet with a mute. Laercio has a very original, percussive style and doesn't follow any external standard, he has his own way of playing, which is difficult to find these days. Robertinho is the same. Although he likes certain elements that came principally from Edison Machado, he has added his own ingredients over the years, such as the percussion which can be perceived distinctly, as a discreet novelty which doesn't change the aesthetic conception of the first album. Adriano has a large body of compositions using Brazilian rhythms, so the way of using an instrument to create a Brazilian sound is very clear for him. I wanted to bring all this together, all these contributions of the band, to create a collective result, as this is the objective of the Copa 5: an organic whole in which each stands out, in which each participates in his own way, in the improvisations and in the way of playing. I tried to exploit all of this in order to show what exactly the sound of the Copa 5 is: SAMBA JAZZ !!

Edited by Jim R

• 2 weeks later...

At least the Simonal bloodline is continuing to make some great music. Both Max de Castro & Wilson SImoninha are among my favorite younger Brazilian artists.

Pete, have you heard the live session of Wilson Simoninha?

this is his best output so far IMHO

there is a special edition combining cd+dvd that it's very interesting

Marcus

The first Sambalanço Trio CD should be the easiest of their recordings to find. It was released on CD twice- on Bomba (Japan), and also on Ubatuqui (Spain). Dusty G is likely to restock it (I think you can ask to be notified when it comes in), I would think. The Ubatuqui version might even still be had at a well-stocked Tower Records store (I know they used to carry it... not sure about other stores)... or maybe Tower online?

Not really, Marcus. I had seen this Odeon recording at Dusty Groove some time ago, but I never ordered it:

2853.jpg

I don't recall what Dusty Groove said about it, but I notice at the Clique site that it's mostly original songs (I like to hear a few familiar things, usually):

MUITO PRA FRENTE / Quarteto Sambacana

Odeon

MOFB 3443

1   Tom da canção  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

2   O vento que soprou  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

3   Até você voltar  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

4   Aladim  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

5   Era um dia assim  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

6   Estrela caindo  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

7   Eu e você  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

8   Sem me olhar  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

9   Fui olhar pra você  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

10   Mesmo céu  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

11   Você é muito mais  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

12   Tarde azul  

(Marcos de Castro - Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

13   Apareceu na tarde  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas) 

14   O navio e você  

(Pacífico Mascarenhas - Wagner Tiso)

Marcus, your post reminds me... there are many MP3 samples of some very good (and obscure) recordings at the Whatmusic website: http://www.whatmusic.com/musicstore/Brasilian_cd_1.php

The site also includes extensive historical and biographical info on the albums and the artists, as well as liner notes. Really a well-run operation. I would recommend spending some time there for anyone who is interested in this music.

it seems that the partners of whatmusic had a big fight and the activities are very slow right now. Durval Ferreira has also terminated his relationship with them

it seems at least that the artists were paid for the reissues and their remasterings are good

the releases of Copa 7, Edison Machado & Dom Salvador Trio are now OOP on CD according to their website.

i think they are not overpriced in UK but here in Rio i should pay between 20,66-26,33 USD to have them

Marcus

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not exaclty "hard bossa," but has anyone been enjoying Celso Fonseca?

Just listening to some snips on iTunes and boy if he ain't Veloso then I don't know what. Is he part of Bossacucanova, too?

I see Cibelle is on one cut at least. I like her very much.

Always good to have more Brazilian tips as it just hit 80 here in the northeast. B-)