Hard Bossa ?

Jim R

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm hardly a compilation collector myself, but emi brasil has a wonderful series of 5, featuring almost every artist recently discussed here, that are stone excellent.

i found them for $6.00 a piece via amazon...

here's the coverart (which hardly represent the quality inside):

zzsbossanovavol1emiod_101b.jpgzzsbossanovavol2emiod_101b.jpgzzsbossanovavol3emiod_101b.jpg

zzsbossanovavol4emiod_101b.jpgzzsbossanovavol5emiod_101b.jpg

please know that it's referred to as the "esso e bossa nova" series (which is not notated anywhere on the artwork...).

regards,

-e-

ps: track listings can be found h e r e...

Edited by etherbored

• 3 months later...

DRG is releasing this month (tomorrow maybe? maybe already out?) one of the greatest of the Jobims, never before released except briefly in Brazil, now called "The Unknown Antonio Carlos Jobim."

http://www.drgrecords.com/details.asp?PID=31611

Fantastic stuff from that band with Paulo and Ana Jobim, the Morelenbaums, Maucha Adnet, Danilo Caymmi, etc.

Now available on iTunes.

• 2 weeks later...

A good and classic hard bossa album, if by that you understand rythm driven groove-bossa, is Joao Donato A bossa muito moderna. It's an instrumental piano trio with added percussion. More on the jazzy side. A very nice record and available on CD through Universal. At least as a Japanese and Brazilian editions.

B0000ZFZW8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1101461411_.jpg

[i've seen a different Polydor cover, but this is the one I have]

Edited by Bluesnik

What little I've heard from Donato I've loved. For a guy who spent twenty years in the US, doing studio work I guess, his CDs haven't been commonly found here.

In 1971 I got an album of his on the Blue Thumb label called A Bad Donato. I still enjoy it from time to time. Not really jazz, but fun to listen to.

• 1 month later...

As much as I admire a lol of Menescal's earlier exploits as a composer and musicain, I kind of cringe when I see his name listed as producer. At some point, smooth jazz became his accompaniment style of choice for a lot of fine artists down there (and no doubt other producers have shown the same tendency), and it's been that way for too long, imo. Sound like maybe I'm wrong in this particular case (not sure what you mean by "clubby"), and maybe things are changing, but I've almost been too afraid to find out... ^_^

yeah, might be a tad of smoove here but was this music not the basis for it all ... where would kenny be if it weren't for... :g

organissimolinkycdnuniversey

i do like her voice.

her other set is on Schema as well and has a bit too much of that mod-redundant-pigeon-head-bob-club-beat to pop it into so called dance music.

yeah, might be a tad of smoove here but was this music not the basis for it all...

Uh... no. "Hard Bossa"? "Bossa Nova"? Brazilian music? No, I'd say no. No moreso than Miles, Paul Desmond, Ernie Watts? I dunno. Maybe start with David Sanborn and Grover Washington. (but I think it's more complicated than that). ;)

...where would kenny be if it weren't for... :g

for...?

I listened to a few samples, and I'm pretty impressed. Doesn't sound like the slick/smooth Menescal productions I referred to. She's got a nice voice, although I think I'd be more drawn in by the songs and the soloists (lots of nice voices out there, and it takes somebody with a really outstanding sound and style to grab me).

• 3 weeks later...

JimR ...

just listening to a "surreptitious" blog comp w/ Trio 3D doing "Consolacao" and O Trio 3D doing "Tamanco n Samba"... both just kicking major butt floss. finding nothing much on the googling so I'll defer ... please. ;)

:tup Yeah, and thanks for reminding me- I haven't pulled out their CD for awhile. So... did you want help finding the CD, or more info about them, or...?

I'm not sure about the current availability (don't see them at Dusty Groove), but they do appear here (never ordered from there myself).

Some info from Bossa Online:

Tema_3D.jpg

RCA, 1964

Consolaçao 3:46 Vinicius de Moraes - Baden Powell

Clouds 3:51 Mauricio Einhorn - Durval Ferreira

Ceu e Mar 2:54 Johnny Alf

O Amor em Paz 3:36 Tom Jobim - Vinicius de Moraes

Samba do Som 2:17 Oscar Castro Neves

Garota de Ipanema 2:35 Tom Jobim - Vinicius de Moraes

Tema 3-D 2:54 Antonio Adolfo

Samba de Uma Nota So 2:05 Tom Jobim - Newton Mendonça

Manha Sem Voce 3:12 Arisio Rabin - Heloisa Brandao Orosco

Fly me to The Moon 4:36 Bart Howard

A Morte de um Deus de Sal 3:17 Roberto Menescal - Ronaldo Boscoli

Berimbau 4:52 Baden Powell - Vinicius de Moraes

Convida.jpg

RCA, 1965

Agua de Beber 3:41 Tom Jobim - Vinicius de Moraes

My Heart Stood Still 3:53 Richard Rodgers - Lorenz Hart

Preciso Aprender a Ser So 3:06 Marcos Valle - Paulo Sergio Valle

Tamanco no Samba 2:49 Orlan Divo - Helton Menezes

Reza 4:54 Edu Lobo - Ruy Guerra

Batucada Surgiu 3:12 Marcos Valle - Paulo Sergio Valle

So Tinha Que Ser Com Voce 2:55 Tom Jobim - Aloysio de Oliveira

Minha Namorada 3:31 Carlos Lyra - Vinicius de Moraes

Tema 3-D 2:04 Antonio Adolfo

Bye, Bye Blackbird 2:43 R. Henderson - M. Dixon

O Passarinho 2:32 Francisco L. Feitosa Filho - Luiz Freie

Peter Samba 3:39 Durval Ferreira - Mauricio Einhorn

Hope this helps...

Oh, the core trio was: Antonio Adolfo -p, Cacho or Carlos Monjardin -b, Nelson Serra- d

Edited by Jim R

thanks very much JimR. :tup

i scoured for a while thinking that maybe the "O" made this a different group, which in a way it did. found various hints but did not check HMV ... never ordered there either so i will wait it out.

don't believe i have heard anything from this group's trio members in the past so a grail it will be. fantastic in the two cuts i did hear and the crackling epitome of your hard bossa sound!

• 4 months later...

Just bringing this back up to mention something very important to all fans of Brazilian music. It really deserves it's own announcement in a new thread, but I know we have to be low-key about blogs and downloading (but this is no ripoff site... read on). If you've never been to LORONIX, be prepared to have your mind blown (the vast majority of what's being shared there is really obscure, way out of print stuff). Bossa, Brazilian jazz, and much, much more (you'll just have to sift through it and sample it for yourself). It's run by a human being, but the mascot who appears to be in charge is a beautiful green parrot named zecalouro. Both the bird and the human are exceptionally warm, generous, and dedicated. Seriously, it's quite an amazing site in terms of the quantity, attention to detail, and consistency of effort put into it. Obviously a labor of love.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

bumpity bump...

I wonder, has anyone seen CéU live? She'll play a club here on Friday night and I think I have to go... but then I'm not sure what to expect: an attempt (bound to fail?) to re-create the electronic aspects of the music in the live setting as well, or more of a groove oriented, actual "live" concert?

Also has anyone checked out her new disc? It came out last week but local shops are just too expensive as far as new releases are concerned... will look for it in the internets sometime later.

I can't quite put it in words... but the album is so lovely and I'm not sure to risk spoiling that by a mediocre concert experience... It's like with favorite books - it's not always (I'd even say: not often) a good idea to meet (or just see in person) the artist behind it.

But then this is about music (and hence about performing), so my doubts are likely unnecessary.

What Lon said!

I'd run and see her!! Her band does catch the electro vibe bit live very well - saw her at the MFA Boston at the time of her debut ... much less a DJ outing than using a table to wash the sound of the other instruments. do get as close as possible ... she's very, very easy on the eyes. :wub:

Her new one is more subtle and less upbeat than the first - but do check out Sonantes (sp) with her guest vocals ... very nice.

Here's the sanitized version of a little review I sent to a friend immediately after the concert... I'm still living on it! :)

------------

Sort of electro brasil bossa trip hop or some such, with CéU (or Céu or céu or however) something between a goddess and a crazy chick, dancing around, shaking her booty... and a nice band: good bassist with an old (I think) fender bass and great "felt"-bass sound, fine crappy drummer doing weird fills, then the dj guy (doing some scratching, some sounds, and having the studio albums on the turntable to provide some background vocals where needed - Céu overdubbed those for the albums), and a great guy playing keys (an old synthesizer with great fender, organ and wurli sounds... no idea what it was exactly, I was on the other end of the stage), guitar, and accordion.

One of the highlights was their take of "It Takes Two to Tango" - I fell in love with that songs when I first heard Lester Young do his own version (with additional slippery lyrics) on an outtake/rehearsal from the Pres Plays with Peterson/Collates date on Verve.

Holy, holy, I'm quite enthusiastic although I can see that the music of Céu can easily be dismissed as being just some young ones toying around with grown-up stuff that they don't really understand... but who cares, it's fun, it grooves like mad, and it sounds great, lots of good vibes and stuff...

------------

and in the meantime I have played her second album about seven times or so, and I think it's even better than the first (although it's very similar in overall "design")

Here's the sanitized version of a little review I sent to a friend immediately after the concert... I'm still living on it! :)

-----------

Holy, holy, I'm quite enthusiastic although I can see that the music of Céu can easily be dismissed as being just some young ones toying around with grown-up stuff that they don't really understand... but who cares, it's fun, it grooves like mad, and it sounds great, lots of good vibes and stuff...

:tup nice! I do hope she comes back to the states soon.

There are lots who know the deal much more than me, so I defer, but

seemed to be toying a bit back in the day with the old trad much like Céu does now. She sure the heck beats Bebel who I want to like but seems utterly bored in comparison.