Central Park lake at 103rd Street

I saw two deer on my drive into work this morning. Now I know they live in the H'wood Hills, but I rarely see them, even in the park (coyotes are another story). Most amazingly, the deer - a mother and her fawn - were by the side of the road on the Universal Studos side of the river (and by river I mean concrete, separated by a fence). I've never heard of any being on the lot before. I slowed down and stopped and we looked at each other for a minute or two, no more than ten feet between us.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I freakin' you out 7/4?......

^_^

We had a really bizarre storm blow through, and the cloud formations were surreal. I looked out my window and the water was this awesome shade of purple/pink. The picture doesn't begin to capture it..

Am I freakin' you out 7/4?......

^_^

We had a really bizarre storm blow through, and the cloud formations were surreal. I looked out my window and the water was this awesome shade of purple/pink. The picture doesn't begin to capture it..

Must have been a browser malfunction... :blink:

yes, film doesn't always capture it. But those magenta hues, I see all the time.

I saw two deer on my drive into work this morning. Now I know they live in the H'wood Hills, but I rarely see them, even in the park (coyotes are another story). Most amazingly, the deer - a mother and her fawn - were by the side of the road on the Universal Studos side of the river (and by river I mean concrete, separated by a fence). I've never heard of any being on the lot before. I slowed down and stopped and we looked at each other for a minute or two, no more than ten feet between us.

Wow. I used to have an office righ there: about 1/2 way to Barham Boulevard. Did you ever find out where they came from?

Those storms last night were freakin' wild! We had an outdoor gig from 7 to 9 last night, and the storms held off until about 9:40. Then it came in fast and furious. I think we beat our record for the fastest teardown/van load ever!

I saw two deer on my drive into work this morning.  Now I know they live in the H'wood Hills, but I rarely see them, even in the park (coyotes are another story).  Most amazingly, the deer - a mother and her fawn - were by the side of the road on the Universal Studos side of the river (and by river I mean concrete, separated by a fence).  I've never heard of any being on the lot before.  I slowed down and stopped and we looked at each other for a minute or two, no more than ten feet between us.

Wow. I used to have an office righ there: about 1/2 way to Barham Boulevard. Did you ever find out where they came from?

They were just "backlot deer." There's a family of deer that live up in the hills (southern part of the studio) and can occassionally be seen in the woody areas of the backlot. But I've never heard of anyone seeing them along what is now called "Muddy Waters Dr."

What'd you used to do down here at Uni?

• 9 months later...

In 1884, they laid the cornerstone for New York's first cancer hospital and erected a building inspired by a French chateau. This was the genesis of Sloane-Kettering. The building had become a nursing home by 1963, when I moved into my apartment, but, not long thereafter, the owner was jailed for monumental Medicare fraud. All his nursing homes were closed and we whose hodd this is saw this great building deteriorate from neglect and vandalism. For the past few years, the property has been the subject of much speculation by real estate people. They wanted to tear the building down and erect in its place a tall apartment house. Fortunately, the neighborhood fought this move and succeeded in having the building declared a landmark (it is NYC's oldest hospital building).

For several years, plans were made and abandoned, but now we are finally seeing the compromise get ready to open. Compromise being permission to erect an apartment house on the grounds while restoring the original "chateau." Apartment prices range from $1,670.000 to over 7 million.

Here is the beginning of an item from the May 18, 1884 issue of the New York Times, followed by some photos I took the other day.

Here we see the new apartment building towering in the background--the two buildings are linked, with the main entrance through the original, restored structure. They deliberately chose the tower architecture to make the hospital rooms round and, thus, unable to accumulate dirt.

Here is the front of the building, facing Central Park West. Patients--and, later, nursing home residents--used to sit on the porch and watch the traffic go by.

If you watch "Law & Order" regularly, you might recognize the building--in its state of deterioration, it was frequently used by the show.

Thank you, Gary, for pointing that out to me. The reviewer is correct in saying that I pointed this out years ago (30 years, actually), but he could also have questioned the playwright's claim that Bessie was driven around in an ambulance searching for a blacks-only hospital. She was taken directly there by that hospital's own ambulance.

That said, I might as well add another photo. Here's one showing the north side of the building, the one facing Duke Ellington Boulevard.

Edited by Christiern