Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bread.

Hmm!

So do you all cover your bread with roast beef and gravy?

Stranger by the minute.

RoastBeefLunch.jpg

You can also buy Yorkshire Puddings the size of a plate with meat and gravy inside; or even a cumberland sausage! A meal in itself.

Now a close relative of the YP is Toad-in-the-Hole.

tith3.JPG

Same batter mix. Different arrangement with bangers in the middle.

Is this a "dinner roll" too?

Bev: As a matter of fact we do put our meat and potatoes on bread! It's called a hot roast beef/chicken/turkey (take your pick) sandwich. You put slices of bread on the plate, meat on the bread, plop mashed potatoes in the middle, and cover it all with gravy. Haven't had one of these in probably 20 years.

(insert licking chops smilie here)

That's so cute you didn't know what a dinner roll is. A dinner roll is a small lump of yeast bread. They are baked individually and you can buy them in bags in the grocery store or refrigerated dough you pop in the oven. Maybe you call them buns? The idea is to slather them with butter or use them to mop up the gravy/juice on your plate.

Toad in the hole. I've heard of that. That sounds like a Mexican quesadilla made from tortillas and cheese (sometimes meat) or the Central Americana version called a papusa, which is much better and is actually a stuffed tortilla. Then there are calzones, knishes, Chinese pork buns, gad, now I'm hungry.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's so cute you didn't know what a dinner roll is. A dinner roll is a small lump of yeast bread. They are baked individually and you can buy them in bags in the grocery store or refrigerated dough you pop in the oven.

That sounds more like a Yorkshire Pudding!

You can also buy them frozen ('Aunt Betty's'), pop them in the oven for a few minutes and pow....nice Yorkshire puds.

The rest of your examples sound way too exotic to stand alongside Toad in the Hole! Toad in the Hole is eaten by gruff Yorkshire farmers after a day ditch digging or castrating bulls. Actually, given what toad in the hole looks like I don't want to follow that image any further...

Back on topic, really good Chinese food. With so much good Southeast Asian food in this area, it's getting harder to find a really good Chinese restaurant. Sometimes a plate of yang chow fried rice is all I need.

Speaking of Southeast Asian food, the Phnom Penh restaurant in Oakland. This place has EXCELLENT food and after 15 years or so, the quality hasn't declined a bit. Plus the people there are really nice. One of my favorite places to eat in or take out.

Bev are you sure you didn't want the Argggghhhhhh thread?

Not at all.

I've always loathed dairy products - milk, cream, yoghurt, butter, the lot (touch me and my bones turn to powder!).

But for some reason I've loved Dairylea since a kid. A cracker, a bit of Dairylea, a slice of tomato and a dash of pepper and salt. Mmmm!

I realise Dairylea is the Kenny G of cheeses but there you go. Maybe that's why I can't get worked up about people buying Kenny G records!

I 'taught myself' to like cheese whilst at university. I can take stilton every now and then. Prefer white stilton with strawberries in (the Stacey Kent of cheeses!!!).

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Okay, explain this to the clueless yanks, please.

(It looks like that pastuerized cheese food stuff that comes in little foil packages.)

That's more or less it. Its a soft, spreadable cheese.

Originally it came in little foil triangles that were as hard to get into as shrink wrapped CDs. You can buy it in tubs now. Much easier.

Very popular with kids (of all ages!).

Here's another one of the great culinary treats of the world:

DSCN4599.jpg

A pasty! Is that Australian? There used to be a place here, Noble Pies, that made world class pasties and fruit pies.

AUSTRALIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you never tasted a CORNISH pasty!!!!!

Please read:

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/history/pasty.htm

I will be setting questions later!

Pasty shops are springing up all over the UK at present - three have appeared within thirty miles of me in the last three years! Only a matter of time before they drive out MacDonalds in the States!

(Cornwall's the toe of England on the left hand side - like Wales, Scotland and Ireland it retained its Celtic character when the rest of Britain was overrun by Romans, Angles, Saxons etc. It has a very distinctive character - even had its own language until it died about 100 years back.

My Dad comes from Cornwall, I lived there for 4 years and spent many a holiday there. So I'm a bit fond of it.

You should have tasted my Auntie Roslyn's pasties!!!)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - another British pudding for Rainy Day - Steak and Kidney Pudding....

wi138-steak-kidney-pud.jpg

Now this is one of the few things that could make me emigrate.

Whoever thought of eating kidneys?

Yuch!

Steak and potato? Now you're talking!

(Watchy out, Rainy Day. Phil will be trying to win you over to tripe next!)

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Rognons is kidneys here.

I know that to my cost.

My French is minimal but when abroad I play this game of ordering things from the menu that I just like the sound of. This normally leads to nice surprises.

One day in Normandy in about 1982 rognons sounded nice.......

One of the things the Irish have donated to the cullinary cookbook is 'bacon and cabbage'! Hmmm!

Now you're talking Bev. Tripe and onions. I think tripe's pretty popular in France too. Years ago a mate of mine worked on a vineyard in France for a few months when he left college and it turned out tripe was the specialty of the lady of the house where he stayed so he got served it near enough every day. Needless to say he was over the moon. Great stuff Rainy Day....

hookpope-main1c.jpg

Brownie have you ever tried Devilled Kidneys?

devilledkidneys_65960.jpg

They're fried with Worcester sauce, mustard powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper and traditionally eaten for breakfast. I know croissants are nice but they really don't stack up against a plate if these on toast first thing in the morning.

Edited by Phil Meloy

Brownie have you ever tried Devilled Kidneys?

devilledkidneys_65960.jpg

They're fried with Worcester sauce, mustard powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper and traditionally eaten for breakfast. I know croissants are nice but they really don't stack up against a plate if these on toast first thing in the morning.

That looks yummy. Never seen these in the British restaurants I visited.

As for tripes, they are dozens of versions of that national dish. I have tried a couple dozens of then and still exploring the delicacy :P

Now you're talking Bev. Tripe and onions. I think tripe's pretty popular in France too. Years ago a mate of mine worked on a vineyard in France for a few months when he left college and it turned out tripe was the specialty of the lady of the house where he stayed so he got served it near enough every day. Needless to say he was over the moon. Great stuff Rainy Day....

hookpope-main1c.jpg

Tripe=chitterlings, yes? No way, Jose.