A New Game for all of you to take part

Alon Marcus

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta toss out one that I read last night on an album sleeve:

"I think the eighties are going to be a fantastic period for music," says [name deleted], "and I think I'm going to be in the center of it."

No, not who you're thinking. FWIW, this artist appeared on exactly 2 albums both from the summer of 1981 and NOTHING else in the 1980s (or since, I believe). Still around and playing, though.

Mike

Here another one, as well:

"You know what they should call my autobiography: 'I Licked Bird's Blood." When we used to shoot up together, Bird would take the needle out of his arm and hand it to me. Before I could use it, I had to wipe the blood from the needle with my finger, after which I had to lick it off."

Here another one, as well:

"You know what they should call my autobiography: 'I Licked Bird's Blood." When we used to shoot up together, Bird would take the needle out of his arm and hand it to me. Before I could use it, I had to wipe the blood from the needle with my finger, after which I had to lick it off."

Red Garland?

Jackie McLean? (If not Red Rodney.)

Try this one

I treated Charlie Parker as some kind of musical god. As far as the music being difficult, I never thought about it. It just seemed like sounds I never heard before and I knew I'd never hear again.

A little hint to help you, it was said by a woman.

Wild guess:

Sheila Jordan?

Patience dear friends! Do not post too many unguessed quotes simultaneously , otherwise it becomes a mess.

Well, I'm still mulling over who the woman was who thought of Charlie Parker "as a musical god" -- was she a musician? Billie Holiday? Jutta Hipp???????? :)

If she was a writer, it sounds like something Hettie Jones (mother of Lisa, ex-wife of Amiri Baraka) wrote in her autobio How I Became Hettie Jones.

As for the guy who said "the 80s should be great and I think I'll be at the center of it" -- everyone who comes to my mind who's still alive has recorded SOMETHING since 81: Keshavan Maslak????

Try this one

I treated Charlie Parker as some kind of musical god. As far as the music being difficult, I never thought about it. It just seemed like sounds I never heard before and I knew I'd never hear again.

A little hint to help you, it was said by a woman.

Wild guess:

Sheila Jordan?

Correct! :tup:tup:tup

Sheila it was!

I believe that we have only Mike's quote unsolved by now.

Edited by ztrauq22

Since Michael FitzG's quote is still outstanding,

and since this was not said by a famous jazz musician, but rather by his wife,

I won't leave you quessing -- but I thought this was just too funny to keep to myself:

When mildly annoyed with her husband, Nellie Monk was heard to refer to him as:

"Melodious Thunk"

:):):)

I gotta toss out one that I read last night on an album sleeve:

"I think the eighties are going to be a fantastic period for music," says [name deleted], "and I think I'm going to be in the center of it."

No, not who you're thinking. FWIW, this artist appeared on exactly 2 albums both from the summer of 1981 and NOTHING else in the 1980s (or since, I believe). Still around and playing, though.

Mike

This is still killing me.

How about a hint?

Eric Kloss -

from the liner notes to his 1980 album "Celebration" on Muse: The eighties have gotten off to an auspicious start for him; shortly after 'Celebration' was recorded, he moved from his native Pittsburgh, where he was something of a local legend but from where he had never travelled in this country enough to establish a national reputation, to New Jersey. Being close to New York City has obvious advantages for any young jazz musician; Eric sees it as an opportunity to 'be in contact with a lot of inspiring players' who are helping him to 'broaden my scope as a player and a composer. I have a very simple goal,' he says. 'I just want to play the best possible music with the best possible players under the best possible conditions.' (notes by Peter Keepnews)

He played just last night in Pittsburgh.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04365/434433.stm

Kloss has not had an easy time of things.

http://www.erickloss.givengain.org/

But judging by the records I have, he's a wonderful creative player. Wish he had been in the center of music in the 1980s. He'd probably have done a better job than those who were.

Mike

First of all, thank you Mike for the interesting quote.

Now let's continue with the game.

I read the story of how Louis Armstrong got with King Oliver, so I used to practice with my horn aimed out the window, hoping that Louis Armstrong would ride by and hear me and hire me to play with him.

I think this will be easier than Mike's but it's still interesting.

Edited by ztrauq22