New Year's Resolutions

Try to be nice to everyone, even people that I don't really like/respect.

Read a lot of stuff: books, newspapers, magazines, journal articles, etc.

Do a lot of writing.

Hang out with people who mean something to me.

Weed out the bullshit in my life (a continuation of the last six months or so).

Complement others who deserve to be complimented.

I used to resolve to be more patient, but that never worked out too well. I don't even bother anymore.

I do resolve to go to the gym more, and hopefully in the process lose some weight.

Turn my dissertation into a book (or at the least have it under contract by the end of the year)

Give as much to charity as I spend on CDs and DVDs. Books don't count, since they are part of my "job." This one will probably be the toughest to keep, though I am doing ok so far ...

• 1 month later...

To finally realize that  loud cell phone users have won.  No amount of evil eyes, head shakes and/or sotto voce cursing will ever stop them.  It's their world now, the bastards.

Depends how you define 'won'. I see these avid cyclists stopped on the bikepath all the time either fielding a call or stopping to make one....and they're really not even able to enjoy a half-hour bike ride without the cell ball & chain. Just a short while ago, I'm out there watching 60-70 canadian geese splash about and do their thing in the canal and one guy is standing there bitching at someone about e-mailing some document..and then cycling off in a major huff, unable to enjoy the moment. :lol: Sadly, it's always like that...weekends, holidays, weekdays.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I form no more resolutions regarding cd purchases...think I've got it all under control. I buy what I want; and I don't want too much.

lemme see...

--fire my neighbor's dogshit back into his yard (via snow shovel) on a daily basis. (Had a good headstart on that one.) Maybe my aim will improve and I can hit his front window...

--enjoy my job this time. (things going well so far.)

--return to chess tournaments (first one scheduled end-March)

--see if I can harass the Firefly into making Organissimo a weekly guest.

--could use some more exercise

--big one: get better use out of my free time (that means more beer! ;) )

--do a better job of saving money. Damn, I've got just about everything I want. Why all this consumerism?? :blink:

--read more (for sure!)