Thad & Mel Solid State Fans

A little bit of reverb on these compared with the Mosaic but both well worth picking up at that price. The first Solid State set is worth having for Thad & Mel's sleeve notes and the photos alone. 'Poutpouri', on Philadelphia International is also a real sleeper of an album. This one really grooves !

:rsmile:

I think the reverb's more noticable on the atudio album than the on the Vanguard one. Both are KILLER albums though, and the fact that one of them is still sealed and going for only $9 is kinda hard to believe (if in fact it hasn't already been sold).

You know, having grown up in the record (as opposed to CD/tape) era, there's an element of nostalgia in stuff like this, but there's also a bit of "archaeology" as well - this is how these albums were originally released, and having the tactile sensation of seeing the records & their jackets, full size and in their ACTUAL colors (something rarely catured on reissues of any sort, but especially CDs) just adds a bit of historical resonance to my personal perception appreciation of the music. It's the same reason I did seeing 10" LP jackets and hearing decent condition 78s. The current CD format is obviously superior for portability, durability, and sound (SOMETIMES ;) ), but it's still a replica (or a historical repackaging/recontextualization) when it comes to older stuff like this. Something to be said for at least having an awareness of the way things were in their day, I think.

Or maybe I'm just a geek...

You know, having grown up in the record (as opposed to CD/tape) era, there's an element of nostalgia in stuff like this, but there's also a bit of "archaeology" as well - this is how these albums were originally released, and having the tactile sensation of seeing the records & their jackets, full size and in their ACTUAL colors (something rarely catured on reissues of any sort, but especially CDs) just adds a bit of historical resonance to my personal perception appreciation of the music. It's the same reason I did seeing 10" LP jackets and hearing decent condition 78s. The current CD format is obviously superior for portability, durability, and sound (SOMETIMES ;) ), but it's still a replica (or a historical repackaging/recontextualization) when it comes to older stuff like this. Something to be said for at least having an awareness of the way things were in their day, I think.

Or maybe I'm just a geek...

I totally agree. There's something about having the original LP of releases such as this (brilliant as the Mosaic and its sound quality is, CD and LP versions) that adds another dimension to the listening experience. The first Solid State album is a good example. Nice gatefold sleeve with track-by-track notes by Thad & Mel, piccies of the band and Manny Albam, Phil Ramone (interesting !) and Sonny Lester at the recording booth and all those 'period piece' comments about the joys of fully transistorised sound ;) . I've seen at least two versions of the Solid State - a colleague has the mono issue without gatefold.

It was one of the happier days of my life when I stumbled across the first two Solid States and 'Potpourri' all in mint vinyl at about £6-7 each. :rsmile: :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

• 15 years later...

This is my 5*Fifth page List of Vinyles,L.P's..of.,*Thad Jones , Mel Lewis.,Jazz Orchestra,+,Musicians* All  Autographed  by Session Musicians*.. If ''YOU'' see Records,L.P. of your interest to get/receive,  ,E-Mail ,, fabiodrummy@gmail.com  
Have a nice day,. Ciao fabio ,.

1- jones+lewis  ,,featuring ''Thad Jones , Mel Lewis.,Jazz Orchestra''....by Solid-State,18003..,x- mel Lewis ,pepper Adams , joe farrell...-
2- jones+lewis  ,,central park North,, by Solid-State,18058..,
x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna , joe farrell..,Jimmy knepper...-
3- jones+lewis  ,,monday night,,Live Village Vanguard,,by SolidState18048.x-mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .,Jimmy knepper...-
4- jones+lewis  ,,,Live Village Vanguard,,by SolidState18016..
x-mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna , joe farrell...-
5- jones+lewis  ,.featuring,,Miss Ruth Brown,, by SolidState18041..
x- mel Lewis ,pepper Adams ,Sir Roland Hanna ..,-
6- jones+lewis  ,.presenting,,JOE WILLIAMS,.blues,, by SolidState18008.x- mel Lewis ,pepper Adams ,Sir Roland Hanna .joe farrell.,-
7- jones+lewis ,,Potpourri,, by KZ,Recod,33152.,,
x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .Jimmy knepper.,george Mratz,bassist..cecil bridgewater....-
8- jones+lewis ,,New Life,,dedicated to ''Max Gordon'',,by Horizon,707..x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .Jon Faddis.,george Mratz,bassist..cecil bridgewater....-
9- jones+lewis .,,,First Jazz Suite - Brasserie,, by PRT.,Recod,.122..-
x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .Jon Faddis.,george Mratz,bassist..cecil bridgewater.,Jimmy knepper.,..-
10- jones+lewis ,,Live in Munich - in Monaco,,by Horizon,724..
x- mel Lewis ..-
11- jones+lewis ,,Suite for ..Pops.,*Louis Armstrong,,by Horizon,701,x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .Jon Faddis.,george Mratz,bassist..cecil bridgewater.,.Jimmy knepper.,..-
12- jones+lewis  ,,One More Time,,Live in Poland.,vol1*by PolJazz,0697.x- mel Lewis..-
13- jones+lewis ,,Thad Jones , Mel Lewis.,Jazz Orchestra ,meets..:
,,Manuel De Sica *Italian jazz composer-arranger,,by PA/LP,63..-
x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .Jon Faddis.,george Mratz,bassist..cecil bridgewater.,.Jimmy knepper.,..-
14- jones+lewis ,,Jones+Lewis with..:U.M.O.*Finland Jazz Big Band.by RCA,Masters,40096,. x- mel Lewis...-
15- jones+lewis  ,,Live in Tokyo ,1974,, by Denon,Japn,7557..-
x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna .Jon Faddis.,george Mratz,bassist..cecil bridgewater.,.Jimmy knepper.,..-
16- jones+lewis  ,,consummation,, by Blue-Note,84346..,-
x- mel Lewis ,Sir Roland Hanna ,.Jimmy knepper.,..-

- , -

-