Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

I also give Porcupine Tree my very strongest recommendation. I really don't think of them as "prog," as their last few albums are more like sophisticated pop/rock.

I went through a Porcupine Tree phase before I got into jazz. The Sky Moves Sideways blew my mind (anybody who really likes early 70s Pink Floyd really owes it to themselves to hear it) and I really liked Signify. I kind of lost interest with the studio album after Signify, don't remember what it's called.

Then [Fates Warning] did some more mainstream sounding stuff which is actually quite good until they came out with A Pleasant Shade of Grey, a vague concept album.  They're still around but they keep losing members so I don't know how that's going to work.  They had an album this year called X and it's quite good.

Never really got into Fates Warning but I do have A Pleasant Shade of Grey, which I haven't listened to a lot (might dig it out soon) but remember as being pretty good.

Dream Theater is famous for all those solos and fastness and blindingly impressive (or boring) playing.  There's a lot of contention over the direction they've been taking, but Images & Words and Awake are their masterpieces and, to some degree, pretty much defined modern heavy prog (for better and worse, as there are quite a few imitators out there).  I also happen to think their story-driven Scenes From a Memory is one hell of an album.

Really don't care for these guys. Too slick and a bit too "hair-metalish" in parts.

Spock's Beard were a pretty fun band- very prog but with strong pop sensibilities.  Their best albums are Beware of Darkness, Kindness of Strangers, and V.  They're amateurish and energetic, so they don't always hit the mark, but quite enjoyable when they do.  Unfortunately, their lead singer and songwriter left because Jeesus told him to.

I'm not a huge fan of these guys (only heard the first album). They have a good knack for songwriting (a skill sadly lacking with many modern-day prog bands) but again, the frequent lapses into arena rock are irritating.

If you like these guys I recommend checking out a band named Echolyn. Much better.

Speaking of obscure and weird 70s prog, anyone ever listen to Magma?  :wacko:

Yup. Very Coltrane influenced, IIRC. Never really got into them and got rid of the two albums that I got.

Guy

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Elegy has the shining example of Emerson as a jazz player in "Hang On To A Dream" - and the version of "My Back Pages" is a wonderful reinterpretation of the piece, inspired partly by the Keith Jarrett Trio version on Atlantic.

Mike

I recently went through the ELP albums in my collection for the first time in a few years and had the same impression as Bev: Keith Emerson was REALLY into jazz. I think he even quotes "Misterioso" on the tune "Trilogy". (The quotes of "Tiger Rag" and "St. Thomas" on other tunes are better known -- any other obscure quotes on ELP albums?)

I recently posted on the piano trio section ("Atropos") from the first ELP album, and how it would have made a fun blindfold test in the early 70s.

Guy

I also bought 'Pictures at an Exhibition' alongside the Elegy recording. Another record I originally bought c.1971 and havn't heard since 1973. I must have heard the Mussorgsky/Ravel a hundred times since then, yet found the ELP a great pleasure regardless. The Mussorgsky bits are pretty straight but there are some very nice diversions, especially Greg Lake's almost Spanish song.

A group unfairly maligned, I feel (and I include myself in the culprits!).

I also bought 'Pictures at an Exhibition' alongside the Elegy recording. Another record I originally bought c.1971 and havn't heard since 1973. I must have heard the Mussorgsky/Ravel a hundred times since then, yet found the ELP a great pleasure regardless. The Mussorgsky bits are pretty straight but there are some very nice diversions, especially Greg Lake's almost Spanish song.

A group unfairly maligned, I feel (and I include myself in the culprits!).

I really don't like Pictures (or Brain Salad for that matter). I still think the best stuff they did was the first album, the title suite on Tarkus, and parts of Trilogy.

Guy

I agree that the first album is head and shoulders above what followed (even if great chunks are lifted from Bartok and Janacek...am I right in thinking that the acknowledgements to the latter on the CD reissue were not there on the initial release? I certainly don't recall being aware of the origins until buying classical CDs in the 1980s and thinking 'Now where have I heard that before?').

I lost track with them after 'Trilogy'. I recall trading in all four albums just before going to university - I think I got a Family and Matching Mole LP in exchange! Never heard Brain Salad or the rest.

Yes, Palmer was a plodder!

[i really like the steam powered synth on ELP and Pictures. Such a pity it turned into the ultimate bland-out instrument!]

Edited by Bev Stapleton

True that the credits were added later.

FWIW, despite (or perhaps because of) my love for The Nice, I am not a big fan of the first ELP album. Sounds thrown together - compositions aren't that great (3 Fates is a huge bore), production rather bland. That same material had more vitality in subsequent performances.

Tarkus was at its peak on the triple LP. That 1973-74 period is where the band really hit their stride and technology had evolved enough to make things feasible. I give them high marks for trying things on the earlier records, but don't see unqualified successes on any of those.

Of course by this time, so many other things had gone wrong - as can be seen in the film documentary of the European tour.

Mike

If you like these guys I recommend checking out a band named Echolyn. Much better.

I have their stuff. I like them, but they often get a bit too "quirky" for me and don't grab me personally as much as others. Good band, though.

I kind of lost interest with the studio album after Signify, don't remember what it's called.

I think Stupid Dream came next. Anyway, their most recent stuff is a bit heavier and, to me, much better.

Ah, ELP. Funny how they can inspire such derision from so many. I think their incessant antics are fun and I take it a very much tongue-in-cheek, which is the best way to listen to any rock music.

Well, Emerson's compositions were far more sophisticated and his orchestral concept was vastly improved. So if those things matter, there are gems to be found.

Unless you are only a fan of the so-called "psychedelic" aspect of The Nice (largely the first record).

But if you appreciate Five Bridges, I would imagine you could get something out of Trilogy or Tarkus. And a great deal of Pictures is right in line with Karelia, Pathetique, America, etc.

Mike

I kind of lost interest with the studio album after Signify, don't remember what it's called.

I think Stupid Dream came next. Anyway, their most recent stuff is a bit heavier and, to me, much better.

Yep, Stupid Dream was the next studio album after Signify. Coma Divine was the next album, but was a live recording. There are expanded two disc remastered versions of both Signify and Coma Divine available. Both are great. There's also a two disc remastered version of Sky Moves Sideways as well (got mine autographed at the PTree show in Stuttgart in November 03).

Also, if you like Signify, you might check out "Metanoia". It is a limited edition release of improvised instrumental music that they recorded during the Signify sessions. It's probably hard to find now, I'm guessing it's OOP.

When in 1974?

I saw them in late '73 with Muir; early '74 and again in Late '74.

All three shows were excellent but by the third they were starting to edit their material (LTIA Pt1 especially). It would be nice to hear something from earlier in the year when Bruford was adapting to handling the percussion on his own.

Guest akanalog

how are nektars albums? i was thinking of picking one or two of them up.

is nektar overly "rock"-ey? their name is a little agressive.

i just orderd a pulsar album-"halloween".

hope it is good.

i just got clearlight symphony's first self-titled album. it is awesome. sort of sounds like ECM prog.

Guest akanalog

and actually this sahara "for all the clowns' album which i didn't like at first is pretty sweet too.

i like the bands use of keyboards. and though some of the album is total cheese, i like it. i think some of these guys were previously in the band out of focus, whom i would like to check out though i guess they are more in the krautrock camp maybe.

When in 1974?

I saw them in late '73 with Muir; early '74 and again in Late '74.

All three shows were excellent but by the third they were starting to edit their material (LTIA Pt1 especially). It would be nice to hear something from earlier in the year when Bruford was adapting to handling the percussion on his own.

I'm curious too Bev. I just reported what I saw in the last page of the booklet for the latest Club release (live in Warsaw 2000). I agree with you-that period has some of Bruford's most interesting (not necessarily best) playing

I realised I got the dates wrong, Greg.

It was late '72 (Muir band) and then spring and autumn '73. So this Heidelberg date must be from around the same time as much of The Great Deceiver box.

The Warsaw discs seem to come from the same tour from which 'Heavy Construction' was culled.

Anyone know if there was (or will be) a KCCC release covering the Power to Believe tour? I'd be interested in purchasing that one.

I've looked on the DGM website, but I don't see anything like that (that power to believe box thing isn't apparently a concert recording per say). I could have sworn I'd seen some info on it somewhere.

This one seems to be connected:

ElektriK

Live in Japan 2003

Track Listing:

1 Introductory Soundscape

2 The Power To Believe I: (A Cappella)

3 Level Five

4 ProzaKc Blues

5 EleKtriK

6 Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With

7 One Time

8 Facts Of Life

9 The Power To Believe II (Power Circle)

10 Dangerous Curves

11 Larks' Tongues In Aspic: Part IV

12 The World's My Oyster Soup Kitchen Floor Wax Museum

Recorded at Tokyo, Kouseinenkin Kaikan, April 16, 2003

The first DVD of this set seems to be the same concert:

KING CRIMSON - EYES WIDE OPEN (DVD)

DVD1:

Live in Japan - Tokyo, Kouseinenkin Kaikan, April 16, 2003

Introductory Soundscape - The Power To Believe I: (A Cappella) - Level Five

- ProzaKc Blues - The ConstruKction Of Light - Happy With What You Have To

Be Happy With - Elektrik - One Time - Facts Of Life - The Power To Believe

II (Power Circle) - Dangerous Curves - Larks' Tongues In Aspic: Part IV -

The Deception Of The Thrush - The World's My Oyster Soup Kitchen Floor Wax

Museum

+ Tokyo Sound & Camera Check

DVD2:

Live at the Shepherds Bush Empire - London, July 3, 2000

Into The Frying Pan - The ConstruKction Of Light - VROOOM - One Time

London Improv 1: Blasticus SS Blastica - Dinosaur - The World's My Oyster

Soup Kitchen Floor Wax Museum - London Improv 2: C Blasticum Cage - ProzaKc

Blues - Larks' Tongues In Aspic: Part IV - Three Of A Perfect Pair - The

Deception Of The Thrush - Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream - Heroes

Strong recommendation for the 'Live at the Zoom Club' KCCC release from Oct, 1972. The (audience) recording quality is poor (especially the vocals) but your ears adjust very quickly. David Cross' violin can strain the ears a bit too.

I think this release is particularly interesting as it is the 72-74 band in the throes of creating their music - much looser than it later became when you tended to have set pieces interspersed with improvs. The whole of this 2CD has a making-it-up-as-you-go-along feel. Interesting to hear Easy Money sound almost cheery! Fripp plays some very choppy, funky guitar across the disc.

I must have seen them a few weeks later and don't recall them being quite so free-wheeling. Perhaps they'd settled some of the arrangements by then.

A marvellous band.

Anyone know if there was (or will be) a KCCC release covering the Power to Believe tour? I'd be interested in purchasing that one.

I've looked on the DGM website, but I don't see anything like that (that power to believe box thing isn't apparently a concert recording per say). I could have sworn I'd seen some info on it somewhere.

Of course there will be a Club release covering this period eventually. Every other period has been covered. Even the ProjeKcts have been! ElektriK is a good disc, by the way. I prefer the Power to Believe songs on that disc to the studio versions. And that tour box came in the mail yesterday-it's an audio CD housed in a DVD case, with press conference and interviews interspersed with some demos (Happy with what you're happy.... is on it in demo version) and Fripp soundscapes. The booklet is interesting as it show each player's gear, with lots of technical detail, if you're into that kind of thing. And there are some (as usual) exhausting but fascinating comments by Fripp about the frustration of it all!!

Guest akanalog

anyone listen to the french prog band pulsar? i just heard their 1977 album "halloween". pretty cool. though the suite idea seems kind of forced as some of the parts don't really connect, just sort of fade in and out. good keyboard textures and some nice riffing though.

Some recent "semi-prog" rock that's worth checking out.

d37549v9s46.jpg

Ty Tabor (King's X) - Guitars, Vocals, Producer, Mix & Mastering

John Myung (Dream Theater) - Bass

Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater) - Keyboards

Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs) - Drums, Percussion

As the title suggests, this is not an "overly-serious" album, a nudge nudge wink wink mood prevails on many selections. This is really a stylistic homage to a variety of 70's era prog groups, some overt, some subtle.

The album is split about evenly between instrumentals & vocal tracks. Of the songs with vocals, "Nothing To Say" is easily the best piece of songwriting. Very similar in style to Tabor's solo work, with a nice extended instrumental section in the middle. "I'm With You", with it's opening riff homage to Carry On My Wayward Son, is a very Kansas influenced heavy rocker. "Willie Brown" starts as a bluesy rocker before going wonderfully over the top, almost like Ten Years After on crack.

The real meat is in the instrumentals though. Of course it's all still in the tribute mode, so it's easy to pick out the influences. "Platt Opus" & "Rock Balls/Destination Unknown" are the epic tracks, going through multiple changes in time, feel, etc. Of course there are lots of great solos, especially by Tabor who really cuts loose, playing very differently than he does with King's X (which emphasizes songs over solos). Chimes is an almost new age track, a morgenstein feature. My favorite track is the album closer "What About The Merch?". It sounds like a missing track from Blow By Blow, this group REALLY nails the Beck vibe on this one, Tabor is phenomenal.

*note* If you listen to samples off the internet, ignore the first track, it's unfortunately a throwaway and the weakest song on the album*

There is another Platypus album and 2 more by the splinter group The Jelly Jam which I will discuss later......

Edited by Shawn

Okay, Yes fans, you've probably spent a chunk of your early years staring at those Roger Dean album covers, regardless of what state you were in B-)

Now Roger Dean is planning to make a 3-D animated feature film, "Floating Islands", based on his artwork for the album covers (see yesworld.com). :rolleyes: It is supposed to appeal to anyone who has liked Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Princess Mononoke. For varying levels of sponsorship, you the loyal Yes fan can get to help bankroll this venture. ($200 up to $25K).

The thing I find most funny is that there has apparently been a "secret story embedded in the art", and apparently "millions" have already figured this out.

The story is described as follows:

The story is of a boy Loki, growing up, his imagination fired by the myths and legends his uncle had read to him as a child. One story in particular, about a tiny planet that breaks up and is rescued by a hero who builds a space ark, inspires him.

As a young man, visiting his uncle, Loki tells him that he wants look for the missing space ark and asks his uncle for help. His uncle at first refuses, telling him of the incredible difficulties, the very real dangers, the immense scale of the task. Eventually his uncle relents but will only help if Loki takes very seriously his preparations for the journey. The film is about a coming of age, a quest and a love story.

Edited by Aggie87