sax set up....what's yours?

tonym

Do you mean the Bb, or the Eb?

By the way, the range of the Eb contra would make it a more versatile choice than the more regular Bb bass clarinet. But I haven't blown one, so I don't know how cumbersome it would be. Not something you see every day.

You're right about these things not being easy for soloing. When I first tried a Bb bass clarinet, I was full of Eric Dolphy (those Prestige "In Europe" LPs especially) and I was bursting with excitement, after having wanted to get my hands on one for a long time. I was very disappointed when I found that it loses volume after you go above the "break" to B and upwards, and you can't really push it. The drums tended to drown it out - I had no mike where I was playing. It did get louder again for the top register (top D and upward). My admiration for Dolphy increased after that experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I paid a deposit today on a one year old Selmer Series II. It is bloody fantastic, I should be picking it up next week.

It comes with the Selmer mpc and ligature. I have set my mind on a Link HR with Rovner ligature. The opening on the Selmer mpc isn't too big so i'll try the Alexanders again.

Needless to say, i can't wait.

Thanks for the advice by the way. Feel free to keep talking about all things above though.

cheers, tonym.

• 4 weeks later...

Mnytime,

I'm just a beginner (since December) like your cousin's child and one option you may want to consider (what I'm doing) is rent. I have a Selmer Altosax and like it (of course, I have no basis for comparison). I also like the Vandoren reeds (2, which is probably good for a beginner).

Slightly off topic, but I find that practicing gets my mind off stressful activities of daily life. You can't properly practice and be thinking about other stuff (one of the first lessons I learned from my teacher, who plays jazz).