Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is true, it's a long drive--but I am seriously considering Dallas to Houston for Nicole Mitchell, perhaps followed by Houston to San Antonio for Randy Weston, on the Memorial Day weekend. It is tempting at least, as these opportunities don't come by too often.

Randy Weston is very interesting, I'll grant you that. A true giant of jazz (in more ways than one!). I'm not familiar with Nicole Mitchell's work; any relation to Roscoe?

I'm told that true Texans think nothing of hopping in the car (or Ford F-150, more likely) and driving 5 to 7 hours to get somewhere. I am not yet a true Texan.

I travel to San Antonio (2-2.5 hrs), Austin (3.5 hrs), and Houston (3 hrs) regularly. Occasionally to further destinations like Dallas, College Station, & San Angelo.

When I was in college at A&M we thought nothing of driving 8-9 hours to Lubbock for the football game - luckily that only happened twice, but that's a long haul. Had to plan ahead when we got there too, because Lubbock was dry and you had to drive out of the city/county limits to Pinkie's to buy beer back then.

I do appreciate these regular concert updates that include Austin, Houston, and SA though!

Edited by Aggie87

I was excited to see Bernard Wright solo at a venue a few minutes from my office. Alas, it was not to be; apparently he missed a flight from New York to Dallas earlier in the day. Instead, there was a last minute substitute, a UNT professor who I would say has a penchant for Bill Evans. I wasn't feeling it, so disappointment reigned.

Randy Weston is very interesting, I'll grant you that. A true giant of jazz (in more ways than one!). I'm not familiar with Nicole Mitchell's work; any relation to Roscoe?

I'm told that true Texans think nothing of hopping in the car (or Ford F-150, more likely) and driving 5 to 7 hours to get somewhere. I am not yet a true Texan.

NIcole Mitchell is an AACM artist, but not, I think, related to Roscoe Mitchell. I'm not that familiar with her actually, I only have one CD of hers, but I like it.

Driving from Dallas to Austin for a concert has been in my range for a long while. Traffic is worse now though. Dallas to Houston is a bit far for a turnaround on the same day, but I've done it a couple of times in the last year or so (Wayne Shorter and Dave Burrell). Dallas to San Antonio, that's even farther, too far to come back after the concert.

We got roads for a reason. It's a big place, how else you gonna get to there from here and back again?

5039.jpg

I keep hearing noise about the coming of some bullet trains to connect the main cities. That would be awesome. Fucking awesome, in fact.

In the meantime, I've heard good things about Megabus, it's dirt cheap, non-stop, and supposedly clean, fresh, and safe, but I took a Greyhound local route from NYC to Gladewater in 1980, got as far as Shreveport, and gave up, called the folks, they were there in about an hour, we had lunch, and got back to Gladewater before that damn local did. Swore that I'd never again ride a bus, and so far haven't. But Dallas to Houston for nine bucks (one way, of course), hell, how do you beat that? But then again, after you get there, how do you get THERE?

But a bullet train, that's like, urbanfuture or some shit like that, right? When it comes time to be counted, make mine "in", please!

You want gruelling, try doing a hit-and-run from Dallas to Corpus and back. I used to do that to make the money, but it got to where the money just cost too much. This road dog finally got a little neutered. Just a little, but there was a time when I'd have bet my life that that was a day that would never come. But i can still ride, and I'm good to share the driving to go anydamnwhere! And back again! But mine mine a car please. Never cared for trucks, and the van thing is done only when absolute necessary.

Oh, Nicole Mitchell is something I'm definitely seriously considering. Randy Weston too...when do tickets go on sale?

Randy Weston will be playing with Billy Harper and the African Rhythms @ Ruth Taylor Recital Hall, a 300-seat space with nice acoustics @ Trinity University. Tickets will be free, but we might "sell out" because of the size of the hall. Will be fun. If you come, be sure to say "hi".

Charles

A bullet train would be awesome--a 90 minute train ride from Dallas to Houston, supposedly to be complete by 2021.

The Randy Weston concert is from the same organization that put on the Charles Lloyd concert last year.

Musical Bridges Around the World is proud to offer concerts and performances FREE & OPEN to the public over the course of our 2nd Annual International Music Festival!

mbaw_member_badge-200.pngAs a token of our appreciation, preferred seating is available for members based on availability, RSVP required. Musical Bridges Around the World is a non-profit 501©(3) organization serving nearly 80,000 annually. Members are our lifeblood and your gift—at any level—makes it possible for us to offer:

• Kids to Concerts - FREE, high-quality, TEKS-compliant music education inside San Antonio public schools
  • Musical Evenings at San Fernando Cathedral - FREE
  • International Music Festival - FREE

We appreciate your support and thank you for your generosity! Become a member today by clicking here or by calling Diana Tatu at 210-464-1534 or click here to email Diana

Edited by kh1958

Randy Weston will be playing with Billy Harper and the African Rhythms @ Ruth Taylor Recital Hall, a 300-seat space with nice acoustics @ Trinity University. Tickets will be free, but we might "sell out" because of the size of the hall. Will be fun. If you come, be sure to say "hi".

Charles

No advance tickets? So we could make the trip and not get in.

May 24 is a Sunday, and the next day is Memorial Day. I'm considering it, but would like an assured seat.

For Charles Lloyd last year, I recollect mailing them a donation and getting an admission pass in the mail.

Edited by kh1958

I called and there two options. Make a $250 donation and you get a preferred reserved seat. If you don't wish to do so, then call the nice woman at the number listed above and get on the RSVP list. Then as long as you show up by a prescribed time (she said she would call me in a couple of weeks to let me know the exact time), you will get a seat in priority over the general public.

I called and there two options. Make a $250 donation and you get a preferred reserved seat. If you don't wish to do so, then call the nice woman at the number listed above and get on the RSVP list. Then as long as you show up by a prescribed time (she said she would call me in a couple of weeks to let me know the exact time), you will get a seat in priority over the general public.

Thanks; that's very useful and will influence my decision.

A bullet train would be awesome--a 90 minute train ride from Dallas to Houston, supposedly to be complete by 2021.

It's by no means a done deal, and in fact there's a decent chance that it may get (ahem) derailed. A lot of rural landowners/farmers are lining up against it, and they've managed to raise enough of a stink to get the attention of the Legislature, which has resulted in the proposal of several ill-conceived bills designed to hamstring the project.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/04/meet-the-opposition-to-texas-high-speed-rail/390576/

When I read stuff like this:

The champion of the bill, Will Metcalf, has given several reasons for opposing the plan. But one of his statements makes clear that he just doesn't see trains as a viable transportation alternative. Via the Star-Telegram:

Metcalf isn't alone in this sentiment. Another elected official, Ben Lehman of Grimes County, has questioned whether the train will attract enough riders. He's also been quoted as saying that the 18 million people who drive between Houston and Dallas each year have "gone through this decision-making process" and concluded "it's more feasible to drive."

"We need more roads for citizens to travel to ease our existing roadways,” Metcalf said. "We do not need a high-speed railway in Texas that will only benefit a few, while at the same time disturbing thousands of citizens within its path.”

I'm thinking, like, wherever the deepest part of Fuck You Hell is, that's where they need to be moved. Not necessarily the people, just these assholes mouthpieces.

Apart from the genuinely concerned and/or truly anti-progress faction (of which I'm sure there's a handful) this has If You Want My Support, Get Off Your Ass And Come Pay And Me For It and/or Too Late - The Airlines and/or The Highway Lobby Have Me In Their Pocket written all over it.

People who don't live in big states with a lot of roads might not grasp just how powerful the highway lobby has been in Texas for at least the last 75 or so years (and not without some good outcomes. Some...). And don't think that highways and oil don't fit together like the end of a hot night with Desi & Lucy before it all went bad. That's a symbiotic relationship if ever there was one.

Don't misunderstand me - all you have to do is cross the state line into Oklahoma or Louisiana to realize that all the money we spend on highways, no matter how rigged the game might be, is not without its meaningful positive implications. But still - "It's more feasible to drive"? Uh, not when i want, or even need, to do a down and back it ain't. And the easier that down and back gets, the more I'll do it, and that ultimately means I spend some money in some places I wouldn't spend it at otherwise, just not alwaysat a Buckee Beaver or some such, but that's, like, OK, ya' know? Stuckey's died right on the fucking Interstate, dig? And now we got Buckee Beaver. If that ain't progress rising from the ashes of death, I don't know what is.

The "down and back" will cost you probably the equivalent of what a roundtrip airline ticket would cost from Dallas to Houston though. And takes longer than a flight - though I'll grant that the time getting to an airport early these days adds quite a bit too. So maybe the time difference between a plane and a train between the two cities is basically a wash.

So what's the gain to be had for investing the $$$ to make this train system a reality, and are there really enough travelers that would prefer that to a flight or to driving? Who is the customer base? Business travelers? Vacationers? I can't imagine Houstoners vacationing in Dallas/Ft Worth specifically, or vice versa. But either way they're going to need a rental car or something once they get to the train terminal at the other city.

If I'm a business person going up for a meeting it would almost be easier to drive, since you then have your car and can get to your business destination without having to take the time to get out of the train station and to a rental car location, rent the car and then drive to where you're headed. And then reverse that process for your return trip.

Unless and until a bullet train seat is as cramped as an airplane seat and the air as stuffy as an airplane cabin, bullet train FTW.

And business traffic between DFW & Houton...immense. Same thing for sporting events, concerts, never mind northern members of the Katrina Diaspora heading south to check on fellow Diasporites (and I am not at all kidding about this...who has yet done the true story of the Katrina Diaspora?).

I cannot image a bullet train stop without any number of ways to get a ride outta there to get to get to the actual destination. There's a LOT of money to be made there, and besides, if you have family/friends/coworkers (and who doesn't, although not necessarily in Houston) it's a moot point.

Plus - driving into Houston on 45 sucks the biggest of all possible donkey dicks. Although driving in Dallas is rapidly coming up on it.

If they build it, I will come. Repeatedly, and in buckets. But not on the train, that would be too much like a bus.

So...why am i thinking that Southwest either has or is ready to have some discrete influx of fundage into this opposition? Hell, they don't need it, they to freakin' NEW YORK now, what do they need with those commuter flights except maybe they're not ready to move outta that just quite yet?

Ultimately, progress happens when those who have the most to lose are no longer in a position to be worried all that much about losing it. Either that or there's a freakin' war and shit.

I'd Take A Bullet For The Bullet, there ya' go, there's a bumper sticker for when thing start getting too contrarian!

April 24, 2015: Vieux Farka Toure, Festival Internationale de Louisiane, Lafayette, Louisiana

April 24, 2015: Randy Brecker, Denton Jazz and Arts Festival
April 24, 2015: Nicholas Payton, Kidd Jordan, Lagbaja, Larry Garner, Kent Jordan, Kenny Neal, Snarky Puppy, Maurice Brown, Jason Marsalis, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival
April 25, 2015: Rahul Sharma (santoor), Waldorf School, Austin
April 25, 2015: Paquito D'Rivera, Brazosport College, Lake Jackson, Texas
April 25, 2015: Cassandra Wilson, Kenny Garrett, Vieux Farka Toure, Robert Cray, Ellis Marsalis, Calvin Johnson, Sonny Landreth, The Wee Trio, Donald Harrison with Lonnie Smith, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival
April 25, 2016: Tal National, Noura Mint Seymali, Kinobe, Lagbaja, Festival Internationale de Louisiane, Lafayette, Louisiana
April 26, 2015: David Boeddinghaus and Dr. Michael White's Tribute to Jelly Roll Morton, Victor Goines and Faubourg Quartet Present Charlie Parker with Strings, Irwin Mayfield and New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Little Freddie King Blues Band, Donald Harrison's NOCCA Alumni Jam, Rebirth Brass Band, Bill Summers and Jazalsa, NOJHF
April 26, 2016: Tal National, Noura Mint Seymali, Kinobe, Lagbaja, Festival Internationale de Louisiane, Lafayette, Louisiana
April 26, 2015: Tutu Jones, Denton Jazz and Arts Festival
April 28, 2015: Tal National, Sahara Lounge, Austin

April 29, 2015: Tal National, Lumber Yard, Marfa, Texas
April 30, 2015: Monty Alexander, Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials, NOJHF

April 30, 2015: Rob Mazurek & Black Cube SP and Sao Paulo Underground, North Door, Austin

April 30, 2015: Jason Moran, Discovery Green, Houston
May 1, 2015: Delfeayo Marsalis & Uptown Jazz Orchestra, Christian Scott, James Rivers Movement, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Doreen's Jazz New Orleans, Terance Blanchard, NOJHF
May 2, 2015: Charles Lloyd Quartet, Terance Blanchard, Calvin Johnson, Henry Gray, NOJHF
May 2, 2015: Niladri Kumar (sitar), Aditya Kalyanpur (tabla), Allen Public Library
May 3, 2015: Niiadri Kumar, Waldorf School, Austin
May 3, 2015: Buddy Guy, Christian McBride Big Band, Jason Marsalis, NOJHF
May 7, 2015: Brotzmann/Drake/ Parker Trio, Eldorado Ballroom, Houston
May 9, 2015: Niladri Kumar, University of St. Thomas,Jones Hall, Houston

May 14, 2015: ICP Orchestra, North Door, Austin
May 15, 2015: Vijay Iyer, solo and with Brentano String Quartet, Tobin Center, Alvarez Studio, San Antonio

May 15, 2015: Shelley Carrol, Free Man, Deep Ellum

May 16, 2015: Edmar Castaneda, San Fernando Cathedral, San Antonio
May 23, 2015: Nicole Mitchell Indigo Trio, Meca, Houston
May 24, 2015: Randy Weston and Company, Trinity University, San Antonio

May 29, 2015: Shelley Carrol, Free Man, Deep Ellum
June 4, 2015: Eric Gales, Guitar Sanctuary, McKinney
June 5-6, 2015: Eric Gales, T Bone Walker Blues Festival, Longview

June 7, 2015: Eric Gales, Hat Tricks, Lewisville
June 13, 2015: Marcus Miller, Granada Theater, Dallas

June 18, 2015: King Sunny Ade, Annette Straus Square, Dallas

June 20, 2015: Bill Evans, Brookhaven Village, Norman, Oklahoma

July 17, 2015: Buddy Guy, Moody Theater, Austin
August 1, 2015: Indradeep Ghosh, Houston

September 17, 2015: Billy Hart Quartet, Fort Worth Public Library

Fall, 2015: T.N. Krishnan (violin), Austin

October 11, 2015: Zakir Hussain, Dave Holland, Amit Chatterjee, Shankar Mahadevan, Riverbend Centre, Austin

October 24, 2015: Arthur O'Farrill Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra, Cullen Theater, Houston

Novermber 6, 2015: Azar Lawrence with Jeff Tain Watts, Cullen Theater, Houston

December 5, 2015: Melissa Aldana and Crash Trio, Cullen Theater, Houston

March 19, 2016: Guillermo Klein Y Los Guachos, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 16, 2016, SF Jazz Collective, Cullen Theater, Houston

Edited by kh1958

When I read stuff like this:

The champion of the bill, Will Metcalf, has given several reasons for opposing the plan. But one of his statements makes clear that he just doesn't see trains as a viable transportation alternative. Via the Star-Telegram:

Metcalf isn't alone in this sentiment. Another elected official, Ben Lehman of Grimes County, has questioned whether the train will attract enough riders. He's also been quoted as saying that the 18 million people who drive between Houston and Dallas each year have "gone through this decision-making process" and concluded "it's more feasible to drive."

"We need more roads for citizens to travel to ease our existing roadways,” Metcalf said. "We do not need a high-speed railway in Texas that will only benefit a few, while at the same time disturbing thousands of citizens within its path.”

I'm thinking, like, wherever the deepest part of Fuck You Hell is, that's where they need to be moved. Not necessarily the people, just these assholes mouthpieces.

Apart from the genuinely concerned and/or truly anti-progress faction (of which I'm sure there's a handful) this has If You Want My Support, Get Off Your Ass And Come Pay And Me For It and/or Too Late - The Airlines and/or The Highway Lobby Have Me In Their Pocket written all over it.

No doubt. Although there are apparently a fair number of folks who just don't want a high-speed train running through their land, with the rationales for such opposition ranging from safety to noise to "Fuck Those City-Dwelling Suits, Let 'Em Drive, And Stay the Hell Off Of My Property". I can't see anyone who's ever seen a bullet train in operation seriously mounting a noise objection. We're not talking about a friggin' BNSF freight train here, the bullet trains are much quieter.

And in the Houston area, there's already been a bunch of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching over one of the proposed routes for a downtown terminus, from the neighborhoods through which that route would pass once inside the city limits. Northwest Mall at 290 and 610 has been proposed as an alternative terminus, but that presumably wouldn't be quite as convenient for business travelers as downtown would be (recognizing that lots of business travelers have destinations outside of downtown).

The "down and back" will cost you probably the equivalent of what a roundtrip airline ticket would cost from Dallas to Houston though. And takes longer than a flight - though I'll grant that the time getting to an airport early these days adds quite a bit too. So maybe the time difference between a plane and a train between the two cities is basically a wash.

Don't underestimate the attraction of not having to subject oneself to a TSA cavity search in order to board a train. Although I'm sure they'll eventually try to expand their reach to passenger rail as well, if it ever becomes a popular alternative mode of travel again.

For the vast stretch between Dallas and Houston, the rail route would probably parallel I45. So we're probably just talking about getting into downtown in both cities. At least in Houston, there are a lot of freight rail lines that perhaps could be repurposed or shared.