Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One O'CLock Lab Band with Billy Harper and the Cookers

The One O’Clock Lab Band welcomes back one of its own on February 6, 2014 when tenor sax phenom Billy Harper returns as the Glenn E. Gomez Endowment guest artist for 2014. Now known as “one of the last great tough-toned tenors from Texas” (JazzTimes), Harper made history in the 1960s as the first African-American member of the One O’Clock Lab Band, and went on to work with jazz greats like Max Roach, Donald Byrd and Gil Evans. The first half of the concert will feature Harper playing with his current project, jazz supergroup The Cookers. Then they’ll all join the One O’Clock Lab Band for a set featuring original charts by Billy Harper himself. Tickets are $15/$10.

One O'Clock Lab Band: Glenn E. Gomez Endowment Concert Room: Winspear Performance Hall Building: Murchison Performing Arts Center When: 2-6-2014 @ 8:00 PM

One O'Clock Lab Band, Steve Wiest, director

with Guest Artist Billy Harper, tenor saxophone and

The Cookers

David Weiss, trumpet

George Cables, piano

Cecil McBee, bass

Billy Hart, drumset

February 7, 2014, The Cookers are in Houston at the Cullen Theater, Wortham Center.

And at the same venue on April 4, 2014, Wayne Shorter Quartet.

Thanks. I got tickets for both.

I ordered tickets to the Wayne Shorter concert--by hook or by crook I will make it to Houston that Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

February 6, 2014: Billy Harper and the Cookers, Winspear in Denton

February 7, 2014: The Cookers, Houston, Cullen Theater

February 18, 2014: John Raymond and Tim Green at Scat Jazz, Fort Worth, and February 19 at Dan's Silverleaf, Denton.

February 19, 2014: Kahil El Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble with Hamiet Bluiett, Austin

February 21, 2014: Pat Metheny Unity Group at House of Blues, Dallas

February 22, 2014: Charles Lloyd and Gerald Clayton duo at Trinity University in San Antonio

February 27, 2014: Tutu Jones at Keys Lounge, Fort Worth

March 19, 2014: Kalmon Balogh at Poor David's Pub, Dallas

March 23, 2014: Bobby Bradford, Austin

March 25, 2014: Bobby Bradford, Houston

April 4, 2014: Wayne Shorter, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 5, 2014: San Francisco Jazz Collective, Jo Long Theater, San Antonio

April 16, 2014: Eric Johnson and Mike Stern, Granada Theater, Dallas.

May 15, 2014: Nicholas Payton at Fort Worth Public Library,

May 17, 2014: Jason Moran's Fats Waller Dance Party, Jo Long Theater, San Antonio

July 11-12, 2014: Lucky Peterson at Clarence Muse Theater, Dallas.

Edited by kh1958

Tickets to the Billy Harper/The Cookers concert in Denton can now be purchased online.

Were, please?

And...does anybody know how long this San Antonino thing has been going on? Or are those three events being promoted separately of each other?

The DFW area's inability to get something going to give the groups that play Houston and/or Austin (and now, possibly, San Antonio) an area venue (which would no doubt increase booking opportunities for all...many people are more willing to make two or three gigs in an area for a little less per gig guarantee in return for a little larger gross for the overall trip) is very discouraging....but not surprising, not really.

Jim, go to:

https://mpactickets.entausa.com/WebPages/EntaWebPerformance/PERFORMANCELIST.ASPX

Then scroll down and select "One O'Clock Lab Band Glenn E. Gomez Endowment Concert (Spring 2014)"

It's a convoluted process, and to see the seating chart you have to download (or already have installed) Silverlight. Good luck! I'll see you there.

Tickets to the Billy Harper/The Cookers concert in Denton can now be purchased online.

Were, please?

And...does anybody know how long this San Antonino thing has been going on? Or are those three events being promoted separately of each other?

The DFW area's inability to get something going to give the groups that play Houston and/or Austin (and now, possibly, San Antonio) an area venue (which would no doubt increase booking opportunities for all...many people are more willing to make two or three gigs in an area for a little less per gig guarantee in return for a little larger gross for the overall trip) is very discouraging....but not surprising, not really.

I'm not sure. I went to a meeting in San Antonio a few months back and reset an iPhone app called Bandsintown to my geographic location of San Antonio and was quite surprised to find such a list (Lonnie Smith, Jason Moran, Lionel Loueke, San Francisco Jazz Collective). The events at the Jo Long Theater appear to be part of a series. The Charles Lloyd concert is separate, I just found out about it from Charles Lloyd's twitter. Lonnie Smith is playing at the Walton Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas the next day after his San Antonio concert.

Edited by kh1958

Jim, go to:

https://mpactickets.entausa.com/WebPages/EntaWebPerformance/PERFORMANCELIST.ASPX

Then scroll down and select "One O'Clock Lab Band Glenn E. Gomez Endowment Concert (Spring 2014)"

It's a convoluted process, and to see the seating chart you have to download (or already have installed) Silverlight. Good luck! I'll see you there.

Yeah, I got into it and figured I'd have more fun ordering by phone. I was right, and now I have.

What I didn't figure on was getting $15 tickets for $10 because I was a "senior" (a.k.a over 55). For a split second after she asked "are you a senior", my response was instinctively gonna be "hell no, I graduated in 1979", but then I realized she was referring to age,. OOPS! But once the door of discount gets opened...I asked if being an alumni could get that $10 down to $5, and of course, no. But that was good for a mutual laugh, as was when she told me that the MPAC would be easy to spot from the interstate, that it looked like an armadillo, and then I asked her shouldn't it be in the middle of the road then?

So yeah, if anybody's still looking to get tickets, call the box office instead. (but only between 1-5 PM!). Good, possibly even delightful, people will go about getting you all hooked up.

Jim, go to:

Yeah, I got into it and figured I'd have more fun ordering by phone. I was right, and now I have.

What I didn't figure on was getting $15 tickets for $10 because I was a "senior" (a.k.a over 55). For a split second after she asked "are you a senior", my response was instinctively gonna be "hell no, I graduated in 1979", but then I realized she was referring to age,. OOPS! But once the door of discount gets opened...I asked if being an alumni could get that $10 down to $5, and of course, no. But that was good for a mutual laugh, as was when she told me that the MPAC would be easy to spot from the interstate, that it looked like an armadillo, and then I asked her shouldn't it be in the middle of the road then?

So yeah, if anybody's still looking to get tickets, call the box office instead. (but only between 1-5 PM!). Good, possibly even delightful, people will go about getting you all hooked up.

Too late, I have already been overcharged $5 by the cold, cruel website (which cared not a whit of my age).

The Internet is your friend, but not all websites are. Some, but not all.

I always look forward to having a choice, though. If the phone rep is gonna be a waste, oh well, gotta go, CLICK! And then, CLICK!

But often enough, you get really interesting, amusing conversational twists when speaking to a live person in real time. Then, it's fun. And discounts, hey, icing!