World Music

porcy62

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I picked up eleven of the fifteen volumes of the Music of Islam series on Celestial Harmonies at a local Half Price Books. Great sound, nice notes & packaging. I am going to get the missing four from Amazon.

Man, I'd love to own that collection.

Someday...

Some of the CDs in that set are very good, but others... you can hear better examples on other labels, especially Institut du Monde Arabe. (distributed in the US by Harmonia Mundi.) I'd post a link, but unfortunately, there isn't one available.

Auvidis and Inedit have some wonderful releases of music from various parts of the Muslim world, too.

Edited by seeline

That's a great album! (Dastgah nava.)

Just posted a track from the following - haven't heard the entire CD yet, but so far, it's a keeper.

51s5lqEhawL._SS500_.jpg

Love this one! Bassekou Kouyate can really play that ngoni. Interesting too that his partner on the record is called Ngoni Ba. :)

A great tribute song to the late Ali Farka Toure here too, and Toumani Diabate joins in with his kora on a track.

Some of the CDs in that set are very good, but others... you can hear better examples on other labels, especially Institut du Monde Arabe. (distributed in the US by Harmonia Mundi.) I'd post a link, but unfortunately, there isn't one available.

Auvidis and Inedit have some wonderful releases of music from various parts of the Muslim world, too.

I was lucky and was able to make copies of that series after a company for which I worked bought them when we made a show called "Inside Islam" for the History Channel.

• 5 months later...

Not to mention some fine representation in the Ocora releases, too. Now there is a whole catalog I wish I owned.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought this gem from a singer i enjoy quite a lot, her previous albums were adaptations of local poets, this one is done entirely in innuit language.

Beautifully arranged, it's a bit folkish, she does not have a powerful voice but has a lot of warmth, you can listen a bit of what it's all about on her Myspace site.

http://www.myspace.com/chloesaintemarie

478661.jpg

Edited by Van Basten II

• 8 months later...

I have a couple of Ocora albums I really like, I wouldn't mind having mo'. :tup

Have been listening to some great Ocora stuff recently, decided to check if there is anything on the label at organissimo, and here I am.

Great label, I don;t have that many discs yet. Here is what I can recommend for the four people who are interested in this stuff here:

• Cordes D'Africue (Strings of Africa) - 3-CD set of string/vocal music from Madagascar / Burundi / Sierra Leone. Available relaitively cheap at amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co...ollectorzcom-21 You will hear where the blues came from :). Get it while it is available, as individual CDs seem to be OOP.

• Albania. Pays Labe. - Plaintes et chants d'amour / Complaints and Love Songs. I am a fan of polyphonic singing, and this is quite unique stuff.

0000440035_350.jpg

• India - Inde: Rajasthan. Les Musiciens du desert. Exhilarating vocal music from Rajahstan (India). Very energetic.

Ocora website: http://sites.radiofr...ion=21&chaine=0

Edited by Д.Д.