Harold Land

Soulstation1

Seriously, after listening to The Fox again, I went through my (no doubt incomplete) collection of Curtis Counce Group records.

Then maybe you can answer a question for me. I was listening to the OJC CD of "You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce" on headphones the other day, and noticed on track 3 ("Too Close for Comfort") that the left channel disappears at 1:28-1:51. Do I have a defective CD, or do you hear it also?

I have the complete Blue Note recordings of Sir John Godfrey.

However, I DO NOT have the Complete Jackie McLean/Sir John Godfrey recordings; apparently, Godfrey is the drummer (no 'sir') on the Charlie Singleton side (Star 719) on which Jackie makes his recording debut (on baritone!): 'Camel Walking' and 'Hard Times Are Coming'.

By the way, has anyone heard this? It looks like it may be out on some Charlie Singleton CD.

Bertrand.

Seriously, after listening to The Fox again, I went through my (no doubt incomplete) collection of Curtis Counce Group records.

Then maybe you can answer a question for me. I was listening to the OJC CD of "You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce" on headphones the other day, and noticed on track 3 ("Too Close for Comfort") that the left channel disappears at 1:28-1:51. Do I have a defective CD, or do you hear it also?

I don't hear it, but I've never listened to that album on headphones.

I balked on a nice LP copy of another Counce on Contemporary. Can't remembere the name right now but it too features Land and Butler. For those in the Bay Area, it's probably still in the new arrivals at the SF Amoeba. I'm leaving town tomorrow so I can't get it either way...

Right you are, it does disappear, only it's more like 1:12 - 2:23. Or to be more precise, it disappears every time the horns aren't playing. The horn mics are either turned off or potted down completely, leaving a very disconcerting mono/right channel only mix. Not like Les Koenig or Roy Dunann to do that. Hmmmm...