-
Posts
6,077 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Blogs
Everything posted by bertrand
-
What is Olive Oil?
-
On the track We Now Interrupt For A Commercial, there is an overdubbed announcement by Mel Furhman on the original LP. On the CD, they restored the original announcement by Dewey which was off-mic. What did they do for the new vinyl reissue? Mel or Dewey? On the CD, I would have included both personally. Vinyl must match the original by Feldman's law, and vinyl is king!
-
That is another example of the studio material being played live, thanks! Good point! I started a whole concert series at the Smithsonian based on this concept. We had concerts dedicated to Grachan Moncur III, Dewey Redman, Duke Pearson, Tina Brooks, Grant Green, Kenny Dorham, Cal Massey, the Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land group, and even Alan Shorter! And of course, some of the big named as well: Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk. Sometimes family members came down: we did two Larry Young concerts two months in a row and his son came down, Emily Remler's sister and her best friend came to that one and Cal Massey's daughter came to that one. I squeezed in several Lee Morgan concerts due to my particular connection (including a few unrecorded songs) and his family came from Philly for that. Now it is moving towards cats playing their own music, which I figured would start happening after 14 years. Too bad I did not get around to everyone I wanted to cover: Bill Lee, Joe Chambers.
-
1. Larry Young in Paris has some tracks from Unity, and what is probably the first known cover of Black Nile. Not sure Night Dreamer had even been released yet. 2. Hank Mobley played a lot of his Blue Note songs live, as evidenced by the various bootlegs floating around. 3. The Breaking Point Freddie Hubbard group was a working band and played some of the songs at Newport. 4. Johnny Coles played Little Johnny C. Material at Newport in 1965. 5. Horace Silver played a lot of his Blue Note material live. One of my many ongoing projects is to compile examples of Blue Note artists playing the material from the classic albums live. Contributions are most welcome!
-
1. The two slower pieces would not have translated well in concert, but it is odd that he never seems to have played Freddie Freeloader live, at least according to the existing set lists. 2. This whole topic of what pieces artists choose to perform live is fascinating to me, and perhaps partially because I get bored of hearing the same standards over and over. Of course, what is in the solos is what really matters. I have always wondered how often the wonderful compositions recorded for Blue Note in the 60s were actually played live by their composers at the time. There are not that many live recordings from that era, so it is hard to gage. One problem is the bands that made those records were usually not regular touring bands, with a few exceptions. There are some examples though:
-
Related to this - it is often said that Frank Wolff was a lifelong bachelor, but according to one of the Blue Note films, a secret wife and kids showed up at his funeral.
-
Now that you say it, I remember reading that. The son with Ike's sister is new to me, but I see that on wikipedia.
-
At the time of the record date he was married or almost married to Ruth. It would have been a wife between Lorraine and Ruth. But those are Ruth's legs on Cool Struttin', so they were already together. She is Ruth Mason on the Byrd/Adams Five Spot set.
-
Lion was married to Lorraine Gordon, then Ruth Mason Lion. Both outlived him. Was there a wife before Lorraine?
-
A lot of young people who buy vinyl apparently never listen to the actual records. It is an artifact to them.
-
No new/bonus tracks, I assume?
-
Thanks! The Visitors and Bartz are also of interest! I don't see the Ashby on your list?
-
Is there a listing somewhere of all their titles? I am not even sure what Jazz Dispensary is.
-
Has Craft been putting out a lot of Fantasy titles as downloads? I missed that - I only knew about LP reissues. So weird about the different versions but the timings on the bandcamp suggest those two tracks are unedited. A quick search already yields two titles I am interested in. 1) Joe Henderson The Elements (cheaper to buy each track at $1.29 than the whole thing at $9.99) 2) Dorothy Ashby (whole album only) Their Vee Jay and Savoy titles do not have the alternates. Makes sense for an LP, not for a download.
-
I have the CD. Looks like I can download both unedited tracks for $1 each. Thanks for the heads up!
-
Where can I get the digital file and which tracks were abridged?
-
So someone has Booker sign a record he was not even on? Wow! Would love to see that. This means he brought the record to the gig and Booker was on the gig, and Muhal also! Would bd great to find out more about this gig. Too bad it was in the days before rampant recording.
-
Which MJT+3 record is Booker Little on?
-
Bill Evans Trio in Norway 1970 (Elemental Music)
bertrand replied to soulpope's topic in New Releases
I have heard about the defects and have even heard that there were massive returns from distributors. It reminds me that we never heard any follow-ups regarding the Kenny Dorham date... Bill Evans trio is great music, of course, but how many of these has Zev put out? Is there really a market for that many Bill Evans trio dates on top of all the multiple box sets? -
The tune Juan Valdez recorded by Richard Davis is the same as Spanish Dancer.
-
Or people like me who know nothing about baseball So what about Ballin'? Surely he can't be so crudely referring to sexual imtercourse.
-
Never understood this song title, nor Ballin'.
-
Thanks. That is probably the story that is related in the Freddie Redd Mosaic booklet.
- 35 replies
-
- cootie williams
- duke ellington
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I have not read this yet, but is Freddie Redd's stint with Cootie Williams mentioned in the book?
- 35 replies
-
- cootie williams
- duke ellington
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I confess that it is kind of hard to tell him apart from Jackie Mac on the Alto Madness record.
_forumlogo.png.a607ef20a6e0c299ab2aa6443aa1f32e.png)