Eric Dolphy

mrjazzman

A recording like this would represent a turning point in my jazz buying/collecting habits in the last few years. Early on, I would have snapped up something like this, thinking I needed to have every little scrap by my favorite artists. More recently I've decided I'm perfectly happy with the sessions I love, and don't need tinny recordings of someone like Dolphy from his garage. Maybe if I was writing a book about him, but certainly not just for the enjoyment of listening to him.

That said, I haven't heard it myself.

I disagree - Dolphy is such a major figure than any early scrap, no matter how tinny, is valuable -

You're right, we do disagree. Again, this is without my having actually heard the recording in question. I do agree it would be interesting to hear once, as it would be interesting to read a grammar school essay by Faulkner for instance, if such a thing existed.

But there are so many other albums by artists that I love in their mature prime, and which I still don't own, that I dare say those would be far higher up on my list of things I need to buy.

Since we disagree, maybe you can be the one who buys it, and then send me a copy for free? :D

I heard these, once - as someone was seeding more discs of live unreleased Brownie and most were better music, actually - and my impression then was that it's ok but that, yes, I'd rather listen to Dolphy from 4-5 years after and onwards. Not all that distinctive and playing in a style where I'd find a good deal of others preferable to him. I'm with chuckyd4 here, I think, I try to buy more as a fan of this music and less like a collector/completist.

it has nothing to do with being a completist - any musician as important as Dolphy goes through several musical stages - in his case we have virtually no documentation of this period - so it is essential - just like Bird fom 1940-1942 - we need to see what he was doing at a formative stage - it's called natural intellectual criousity

Allen, what you say is fine for completest freaks, historians and other "nut cases". I say that with great affection for completest freaks, etc, but for listening pleasure it's a hard sell for folks without 25 Dolphy cds.

Also, FWIW this is not the equivalent of Bird in '40-42. Earlier Dolphy in decent sound is out there.

research done - there are recordings in 1948 and 1949 that Dolphy is apparently on, but not identifiable as a soloist - next is 1958 with Chico Hamilton - so something like this from 1954, when he is working toward maturity is, as I've said, absolutely essential -

Edited by AllenLowe

it has nothing to do with being a completist - any musician as important as Dolphy goes through several musical stages - in his case we have virtually no documentation of this period - so it is essential - just like Bird fom 1940-1942 - we need to see what he was doing at a formative stage - it's called natural intellectual criousity

Again--to stress an already exhausted point--to whom does this apply? May we speak in degrees? I don't think that many would argue that this sort of pseudo-bootleg esoterica (the Dolphy/Brownie album in question) is as "essential" as "Out to Lunch." At the risk of dissolving into semantics, what is "essential" anyway? Essential to he "in-crowd," or essential to everyone? Does the lay-collector--especially of the sort just beginning to listen to Dolphy--really need this material?

Moreover, does knowledge of the entire history of an artist--from cradle to grave--really constitute a comprehensive "understanding"? Or can you really, truly "get" Dolphy from a few seconds of "Hat and Beard"? I know of enough individuals with an intelligent, passionate "feel" for Dolphy, none of whom have gotten past the canonical "five-star" albums. As far as I'm concerned, that sense of musician/listener communion is of paramount importance--far more valuable than whatever may be divined from a few low-fidelity home recordings.