Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baryshnikov

Rare Bluenote

10 posts in this topic

<_< Can anyone enlighten me as to the George Wallington Quintet, please, paul uk.

I don't know the disc in question but basically anything by George Wallington is worth hearing. He was a fine composer & sparkling bebop pianist.

I have a Japanese Blue Note LP with a George Wallington septet on one side, and a Hank Mobley Quartet on the other - both were originally issued as 10" LPs. Not sure if that's the Wallington you're referring to. I haven't listened to it in years and years, so perhaps this will be a good time for me to relisten.

Edited by paul secor

The George Wallington and his Band album on BN was a septet date (Dave Burns, Jimmy Cleveland, Frank Foster, Danny Bank, Wallington, Oscar Pettiford and Kenny Clarke, arrangements by Quincy Jones).

A really excellent session.

I have a Japanese BN CD from 1990 which includes four additional alternate takes to the Wallington/Mobley LP.

That was Wallington's only session on BN with the exception of a Gil Melle sextet date!

This session was reissued domestically, with alternates, as part of the short-lived Blue Note 10-inch 2fer series. It is coupled with a Frank Foster Quintet session (Benny Powell, Gildo Mahones, Percy Heath, Klook).

d43153bu56s.jpg

Wallington led several quintet sesions for Prestige. The bands included players like Donald Byrd, Jackie McLean, Phil Woods, Paul Chambers, Teddy Kotick, Art Taylor and Nick Stabulas. I believe this session was originally issued on the Progressive label, but was eventually picked up by prestige and reissued as a OJC "limited edition". Good stuff, if a little raw in places.

f53032gvo26.jpg

Edited by Joe

Just listened to the Wallington septet - nice session, but not something I'd want to go crazy searching for.

The Wallington BN date was overpowered by some "average" charts by Quincy Jones. Nice but never essential.

:D Thanks for enlightening me, after 25 years im still learning, lp is on eBay at present, cheers Paul Uk.