Ross Tompkins RIP

Stereojack

Los Angeles Times

July 1, 2006 Saturday

Ross Tompkins, 68; Longtime Pianist for 'Tonight Show' Band

Ross Tompkins, 68, a pianist who played with Doc Severinsen's "Tonight Show" band for more than 20 years,

died of lung cancer Thursday in St. Augustine, Fla., according to his partner and friend trumpeter/vocalist Jack Sheldon.

A native of Detroit, Tompkins also played with a long list of noted jazz musicians including Zoot Sims, Wes Montgomery, Herb Ellis and Eric Dolphy. In recent years Tompkins and Sheldon performed in clubs in Southern California.

R.I.P. :(

I remember a classic Tonight Show moment: Johnny and a guest were discussing whether to pronounce the word, PEE-anist or pe-ANN-ist. Johnny turns to the band and asks Ross. Ross says, "It depends on how good you are." big laugh. Then Johnny comes over the top with, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Ross Tompkins, our PIANO PLAYER." :tup

makes all that Leno-Eubanks stuff seem even weaker...

R.I.P. :(

I remember a classic Tonight Show moment: Johnny and a guest were discussing whether to pronounce the word, PEE-anist or pe-ANN-ist. Johnny turns to the band and asks Ross. Ross says, "It depends on how good you are." big laugh. Then Johnny comes over the top with, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Ross Tompkins, our PIANO PLAYER." :tup

makes all that Leno-Eubanks stuff seem even weaker.

Ha. 'Deed it does. I miss Johnny terribly. Late night TV is interchangeable and forgettable host and guest-wise these days.

RIP, Ross. So many great players in that band over the years. CT, Snooky Young, Pete Christlieb,etc. Good charts, too. And Doc had style and panache and was crazy like a fox to allow himself and his wardrobe to become grist for the Carson zinger mill.

An era I can only remember fondly now.