Popsie Randolph photos

jay2b2

Hi -

First, I'm not associated with this site in any way - I just wanted to point out that there are some very interesting photos viewable at: www.popsiephotos.com. They are the work of the late Popsie Randolph. Highlights of the jazz section include Bird sitting in on tenor with Lionel Hampton as well as Lester Young and Max Roach chatting at the 1953 Metronome All-Stars session.

There are two photos listed under Lips Page - the second one's caption identifies Buck Clayton, but I'm curious if anyone else agrees with me that the photo also includes Leo Parker, Shadow Wilson and Paul Gonsalves.

Enjoy.

yes, it´s leo parker and gonsalves. wilson maybe.

but in the stan hasselgard section it´s not hasselgard on any of that pictures!!

interesting to see the people sitting at the stage in town hall on the lester young concert. and another rare picture of prez with his metal (?) clarinet.

and, of course, bird on tenor with hampton (wow), any broadcasts of this event from the band box? (not known till now...)

keep boppin´

marcel

There are two photos listed under Lips Page - the second one's caption identifies Buck Clayton, but I'm curious if anyone else agrees with me that the photo also includes Leo Parker, Shadow Wilson and Paul Gonsalves.

Enjoy.

Looks like those players, all right! Too bad that missing from the photo - next to Gonsalves - was probably Wardell Gray who was the other tenorsax player with the Basie band at the time!

Thanks for the link. A number of great photos there!