Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmilovan

Jimmy Dorsey

33 posts in this topic

just as a footnote - the Dorsey recording of Drop Me Line, a ballad with vocal, contains the opening phrase that is uncannily similar to the intro to Round Midniight and also matches the line "than you would realizze" in Dameron's "If You Could See Me Now" -

Edited by AllenLowe

Hey Allen,

what is approx. recording date of "Drop Me Line"?

Oh, somewhat kind of addition to this can be the fact that Thelonious Monk often recorded "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You"...

Edited by mmilovan

I believe it's 1942, but would have to check -

Allen -- On what album can "Drop Me A Line" be found? Haven't been able to track it down myself.

Drop Me A Line was recorded for Decca on December 3, 1941. Don't know of a reissue beyond one of those crappy Ajaz lps.

Larry, I don't know of a reissue version - I have a copyof the 78, which I originally transferred for the reissue that never happened - I'm just setting up my studio again, so if I can find the 78 and if I get ambitious, maybe I can transfer it - it's also possible I have it on a CDR somewhere - will look around and get back to you -

Some interesting Jimmy Dorsey via YT:

Some Marcello trivia:

My ex-wife's great - grandfather, Joseph LaCalle, wrote "Amapola".

krebs3.jpg

Some of his children lived off his royalties for all of their lives.

"A popular recorded version was made later by the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra with vocalists Helen O'Connell and Bob Eberly; this was released by Decca Records and arrived on the Billboard charts on March 14, 1941, where it stayed for 14 weeks and reached #1. "

Edited by marcello