going to san francisco - and the first wiseguy who makes a joke about

I will be in San Francisco from December 29-January 5 for my nephew's wedding, but will have some free time - was wondering if anyone can recommend:

1) good, out of the way places to hear music -

2) places/performance centers to drop my CD and promo stuff (wrapped in a rock, of course)

3) good record/CD stores

4) good places to look at old crappy guitars and amps -

Edited by AllenLowe

I will be in San Francisco from December 29-January 5 for my nephew's wedding, but will have some free time - was wondering if anyone can recommend:

1) good, out of the way places to hear music -

2) places/performance centers to drop my CD and promo stuff (wrapped in a rock, of course)

3) good record/CD stores

4) good places to look at old crappy guitars and amps -

You big thilly.

Oakland's where it's at. And Berkeley. Amoeba aside (there's one of those in SF too), they got the Grooveyard (now on Claremont), Rasputin's (Telegraph), Saturn for vinyl (College), Musical Offering for classical (Bancroft).

SF shopping's been overed in other threads pretty well. Jazz Quarter (on 20th). Grooves for vinyl (Market). Jack's Record Cellar for 78s. A relatively lousy branch of Rasputin's (Powell).

Not exactly crappy old guitars, but 5th String in Berkeley (Adeline Ave) is cool. Two small places I haven't been in years, Guitar-o-Rama (Telegraph) and Flashback Guitars (College).

Live music: Oakland-side it's Jazzschool and Anna's Jazz Island (downtown Berkeley), maybe Cafe van Kleef for jazz. Broader tastes? Freight and Salvage for other mainly acoustic stuff. Eli's Mile High for blues.

San Francisco live music? Rassela's? Pearl's? Les Joulin? Sorry, I don't do the SF live thing much these days. My Bay Area clients are mainly East Bay.

(You'll notice, no mention of Yoshi's. Deliberate.)h