Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teasing the Korean

Question for the Organ Experts

7 posts in this topic

Can any of you organ experts tell me the type of organ that you sometimes hear on 1960s European soundtracks? You typically hear it doing single note lines in a lower register, and it has a fat, distorted kind of sound. Nino Rota used it. I think some of the other Italian film composers, like Piero Piccioni and Piero Umiliani used it too, along with Peter Thomas.

What is it?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Can any of you organ experts tell me the type of organ that you sometimes hear on 1960s European soundtracks? You typically hear it doing single note lines in a lower register, and it has a fat, distorted kind of sound. Nino Rota used it. I think some of the other Italian film composers, like Piero Piccioni and Piero Umiliani used it too, along with Peter Thomas.

What is it?

Jim? :w

Piccioni, Umiliani ...

don't know 'bout the equipment BUT:

Antonello Vannucchi is da man!!! :tup and he just used a Hammond or a Lowery. (?)

I am totally dumb and ignorant about the issue BUT, back in the days, the main italian manufacturer of electric organ and keyboards was FARFISA. No idea if it was the instrument are you referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farfisa

Edited by porcy62

I've played Farfisas and Vox Continentals, but I've never been aware of them making the particular sound I'm referring to, unless it was run through an effect. I will post a link to a sound sample if I can find one.

Thanks for the replies.

I have discovered that the organ in question is an Elka combo organ, info courtesy of Brother Cleve.