What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3: Chet Baker

Caught the last half. Not a big Baker fan.

Sonny Stitt next week!

Now on JRR which is shaping up nicely. Enjoyed the Bebop Presservation Society track especially so far.

Edit: Really enjoyable programme from start (Bessie Smith) to finish (a thrilling Joe Zawinul track with the WDR Big Band...I blow hot and cold over Zawinul but 'Brown Street' was just wonderful).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3: Chet Baker

Caught the last half. Not a big Baker fan.

Sonny Stitt next week!

Now on JRR which is shaping up nicely. Enjoyed the Bebop Presservation Society track especially so far.

Edit: Really enjoyable programme from start (Bessie Smith) to finish (a thrilling Joe Zawinul track with the WDR Big Band...I blow hot and cold over Zawinul but 'Brown Street' was just wonderful).

Yes, Alan Barnes on Sonny Stitt should be interesting. You've reminded me that I missed the beginning of today's show and I have never heard the young Chet with Bird, so must try the i-player for that. I think my favourite from JRR was the Dodo Marmarosa track, but then I'm a bebopper at heart!

Jazz Record Requests from BBC Radio 3

Now playing: Max Roach Quintet, "Effi" (1968) from Members, Don't Git Weary

Never heard this disc before, tho' I saw almost the same quintet (Odean Pope instead of Gary Bartz) here in Manchester in about 1968.

Now playing: Max Roach Quintet, "Effi" (1968) from Members, Don't Git Weary

Wasn't that good?

I know the tune from Bobby Hutcherson's 'Patterns' which shares Cowell on piano.

Enjoyed the Sonny Stitt Jazz Library too.

Missed the Barnes/Stitt show. Must catch it on i-player. Too busy this afternoon joining University and Colleges Union members (NATFHE in my day) at the big Manchester anti-cuts rally. Approve, Bev?