MLB 2008

I like Chad Finn's comment about the Giants:

The 1962 Mets, reincarnated? The San Francisco Giants, who have Bengie Molina (103 homers in 3,418 career at-bats) batting cleanup and who had 36-year-olds Rich Aurilia, Ray Durham, and Dave Roberts in their Opening Day lineup, along with Randy Winn (34) and Molina (33). If you're going to be brutal, shouldn't you at least be young? Two other questions: Will Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain combine to go 8-33 with a 2.95 ERA? And how does Brian Sabean keep his job?

It would be pretty funny if their two young stud pitchers have a record anywhere close to that. For those who enjoyed Finn's Nine Innings column on foxsports.com last year, you should know that he has signed a deal with Boston.com, to start around April 8. He's got an obvious Red Sox bias but his column for Fox was pretty good - I liked the way he took an old Bill James player rating book and quoted what was thought of famous/infamous guys way back when.

They could both be good enough to keep going out there and have era's under 4 yet still lose 20 games each.

Maybe like Roger Craig in 1963. 5-22 with 3.78 era.

When Brian Kingman lost 20 for the A's in 80 he still had the best stuff on the team. Pitched 10 complete games and had a era of 3.83.

The more I think about that year Carlton had when he won 27 for a team that lost 97 games it still boggles my mind.

Edited by WorldB3

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ooh that does looks cool, what's the eta? who is paying for it, as you know the housing and office space market is a little soft right now.

The new park will happen, and can't come soon enough.

tb_raysballpark_450.jpg

Nice. The Devil part, not going to happen.

It was proposed just recently. Lots of details to be worked out, but I think state and local movers and shakers will make this happen one way or the other. Gov. Crist has already expressed concerne about the state losing clubs to Arizona during spring training. I believe the Marlins have a new downtown stadium proposal as well. Not sure what's going on with that.

They are supposed to break ground on the New Marlins Stadium in November, 2008 and if all goes well it should open in 2011.

Jesus H. Christ! The Phillies lost 1-0 at home to the Nationals. Man, every freakin' year they dig themselves a hole at the beginning of the season - 2006 swept by the Cards. In 2007 it was the Braves. Now the Nats are threatening to do it again this year. WTF?

Did anyone catch the Mets-Marlins game? It wasn't broadcast in the sarasota area. How bad did Pedro's injury look? Mets say they don't know when he'll be back. And how about Andino with a walkoff HR in the bottom of the 10th!

Meanwhile the Red Sox had what I thought of as a "must-win" with Dice-K facing Joe Blanton in a rematch of opening day, before Rich Harden faces Jon Lester again today. That's going to be a tall order so I was glad that they managed the win last night with a stellar performance by Dice. Two hits over 6 2/3, 9 Ks and ZERO walks. Complete turn around from Opening Day, I am sure this was the game he hoped to have in front of the home fans last week. But that was definitely the Dice-K we are hoping to have all season. The one weird point was when Papelbon was called on for a four out save, with no off-day tomorrow. I mean, I thought of it as a must-win game but does this mean that Paps will be used more this season? At least he was back to his dominating self after nearly giving away the game in Tokyo.

Dan,

Great win for the Sox today , Lester looked strong and Papi finally showed up . The Bullpen looks

Great ...its all about pitching.

After all the travel, jet lag and whacked out schedule a 3-1 start is Fantastic.

First the good news: The Giants actually scored two whole runs last night and Cain pitched a great game; 6 IP, 3H, 0 Runs.

Now the bad news: The Giants bullpen.

Nuff said?

Reminds me of a poll I thought about doing:

Who will lose the most number of games this season?

The Giants

The Pirates

The Orioles

The Marlins

My money is on the Giants, who are likely to be terrible for many years to come, regardless of how their young starters do.

Sad, but true.

First the good news: The Giants actually scored two whole runs last night and Cain pitched a great game; 6 IP, 3H, 0 Runs.

Nuff said?

The Giants

The Pirates

The Orioles

The Marlins

My money is on the Giants, who are likely to be terrible for many years to come, regardless of how their young starters do.

Sad, but true.

I think the Giants should have traded Lincecum for Rios of the Blue Jays, or perhaps they should have traded him for Adam Jones if they could have gotten him....He's got great stuff, but I don't know if he can hold up. Cain has a Clemens type build and should be around for a long time. Yeah, you win with pitching...but, when you lose Bonds, and Pedro Feliz, and only add Aaron Rowand...you are going to have problems.

Maybe the Angels will get desperate, and give several of their prospects for Lincecum....one day they will actually trade their surplus!

I'll throw you a bone GS. Last year, the Nationals were thought to be a team that could lose 120 games, and ended up 73-89

Bad news for the Mets - Pedro out 4-6 weeks.

And that could very well be a conservative estimate, regardless of their calling it a "minor" strain. Fact is, I injured my hamstring about six weeks ago - I finally felt ready to get back on the tennis court this week but now I am laid up with a back strain - but I consulted with someone who has a degree in sports medicine and he told me that the lower the strain, the better. My injury was right above the knee - but where did Pedro grab? Right below his glute.

I'd be really surprised if Pedro pitches before June. With the injuries and the fact that they gave away their AAA starters for Santana, this is a very bad spot the Mets have found themselves in.

Did anyone catch the Mets-Marlins game? It wasn't broadcast in the sarasota area. How bad did Pedro's injury look? Mets say they don't know when he'll be back. And how about Andino with a walkoff HR in the bottom of the 10th!

Meanwhile the Red Sox had what I thought of as a "must-win" with Dice-K facing Joe Blanton in a rematch of opening day, before Rich Harden faces Jon Lester again today. That's going to be a tall order so I was glad that they managed the win last night with a stellar performance by Dice. Two hits over 6 2/3, 9 Ks and ZERO walks. Complete turn around from Opening Day, I am sure this was the game he hoped to have in front of the home fans last week. But that was definitely the Dice-K we are hoping to have all season. The one weird point was when Papelbon was called on for a four out save, with no off-day tomorrow. I mean, I thought of it as a must-win game but does this mean that Paps will be used more this season? At least he was back to his dominating self after nearly giving away the game in Tokyo.

Dan,

Great win for the Sox today , Lester looked strong and Papi finally showed up . The Bullpen looks

Great ...its all about pitching.

After all the travel, jet lag and whacked out schedule a 3-1 start is Fantastic.

Agreed - though it would be nice if Lester cut down some more on the wildness. It felt like he had the right team up there to come up big. I'm not sure he dominates the Yankees the same way with the same stuff. But I'll take it! And with Wake in the dome in Toronto on Friday, the way he's been pitching he should do very well, and Beckett returns Sunday.

And since it will be the seventh game of the year for the Tigers, we miss their ace when we see them at Fenway next week. :g

Nice first-win for the Astros last night at the Padres. Down 6-5 in the 9th, 2 out.

Jose Cruz Jr. draws a leadoff walk against Trevor Hoffmann after working a full count. Then Michael Bourn singles, followed by Hunter Pence. Pence's hit scored Cruz to tie it. Then Lance Berkman (who had struck out against Hoffmann the night before to end the game) drove a 3-1 pitch over the fence in center field, for a 9-6 lead and win.

I think the Astros have the makings of a powerhouse offense - Bourn, Pence, Berkman, Lee, Tejada, Loretta/Blum, Wigginton, Toles/Ausmus is a pretty decent set of hitters. Problem is their starting pitching is pretty weak overall.... or at least suspect at this point.

We'll see how that translates in the standings, but they're gonna have to win a bunch of 7-5, 8-6 type of games it looks like.

Nice first-win for the Astros last night at the Padres. Down 6-5 in the 9th, 2 out.

Jose Cruz Jr. draws a leadoff walk against Trevor Hoffmann after working a full count. Then Michael Bourn singles, followed by Hunter Pence. Pence's hit scored Cruz to tie it. Then Lance Berkman (who had struck out against Hoffmann the night before to end the game) drove a 3-1 pitch over the fence in center field, for a 9-6 lead and win.

I think the Astros have the makings of a powerhouse offense - Bourn, Pence, Berkman, Lee, Tejada, Loretta/Blum, Wigginton, Toles/Ausmus is a pretty decent set of hitters. Problem is their starting pitching is pretty weak overall.... or at least suspect at this point.

We'll see how that translates in the standings, but they're gonna have to win a bunch of 7-5, 8-6 type of games it looks like.

The Central in the NL is going to be very tough as well....Seeing the Pirates play against the braves the last few days, they look to be a far improved team, at least a sound fundamental team...of the broadcasters(Joe Simpson) said he didn't think they would finish in last place this year. So...with the offense you are describing....with the Reds being improved....that means the Cards are the most likely team to end up in last place....but, Tony LaRussa seems to stay out of last place....should be very interesting!

Oh, and now Jose Cruz Jr. has finally made it to the team his Father had so much success with??? :excited: Oh man, I feel old....Now the son is an old man near the end of his career.

Oh, and now Jose Cruz Jr. has finally made it to the team his Father had so much success with??? :excited: Oh man, I feel old....Now the son is an old man near the end of his career.

I know what you mean! I remember how popular Cruz was back in the old Glenn Davis/Mike Scott/Nolan Ryan/Phil Garner era.

Cruz is the Astros' 1st Base Coach now, so it was kinda neat to see them together when Cruz Jr. got a hit and was at 1st.

Cruz_Jose_04.jpg311xInlineGallery.jpg

Nuff said?

The Giants

The Pirates

The Orioles

The Marlins

Sad, but true.

I think the Giants should have traded Lincecum for Rios of the Blue Jays, or perhaps they should have traded him for Adam Jones if they could have gotten him....He's got great stuff, but I don't know if he can hold up. Cain has a Clemens type build and should be around for a long time. Yeah, you win with pitching...but, when you lose Bonds, and Pedro Feliz, and only add Aaron Rowand...you are going to have problems.

Maybe the Angels will get desperate, and give several of their prospects for Lincecum....one day they will actually trade their surplus!

I'll throw you a bone GS. Last year, the Nationals were thought to be a team that could lose 120 games, and ended up 73-89

Thanks, Berigan.

But Lincecum is just about the only reason to go to the ballpark these daze. Pedro "Always swings at the first pitch" Feliz is no loss. He blew more rallies and lost more games at the plate then I care to remember. Bonds was done anyway....bad knees and inability to run after flyballs and he couldn't go a full schedual anyway.

I get your point though, Rowand is not much of an improvement at the plate.

Besides, when did 33 become "old" ?

Edited by GoodSpeak

BTW...Giants did manage to avoid a sweep and beat the [hated] Dodgers 2-1 in last night's rain delay game.

May be all we can root for this season: Hey! We avoided the sweep! Yippie!!!!

Grrrrr :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Re Pedro: Someone was talking about how Pedro still thinks he can pitch like he did 3-4-5 years ago, and so he refuses to adjust his pitching style (ie: learn some junk pitches). In addition, he generally doesn't take conditioning that seriously, apparently. His injury(ies) may be the result of him still trying to pitch the way he has in the past, rather than change as he ages. If this is the case, in all likelihood he'll be susceptible to injury again, whenever he returns. ... Hey, it sucks getting old sometimes. The Mets might be wise to plan on Pedro not being around much this season, or beyond.

Late-inning loss for the Rays last night smelled awfully familiar. ... Damn.

Edited by papsrus

Pedro needs to learn some junk pitches? He dominated an era because he had an upper 90s fastball, a low 70s changeup and a low 80s breaking pitch. Two-thirds of his repertoire has been junk since he entered the league. :rolleyes:

Now Pedro has an upper 80s fastball, and if he doesn't understand that he is a different pitcher, then we would have seen him keep throwing that 88 mph fastball like its supposed to be getting swings and misses. I think its bullshit to say that he thinks he is still a power pitcher. He'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise, and Pedro is one of the smartest pitchers around. He'll throw his curveball and his changeup and hope that he can spot his fastball when he needs it. He's been doing that since his final years in Fenway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know enough to say anything about his conditioning but his arm injuries were the direct result of the wear and tear he put on it when he was younger, and the fact that he's not exactly a big, hulking guy. The Red Sox knew that his labrum and rotator cuff were unlikely to hold up so they let him go - and they were not only proven right in the end, they drafted Clay Buchholz with the pick they got from the Mets. And his latest injury - hamstrings go on some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. I think its ridiculous to say that any of his injuries have anything to do with his diminished skills or any "failure" to recognize the state of those skills. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In short, if you were talking to a friend or heard this on the radio, they don't know squat.

Since you started the thread, what say you get rid of "baseball" from the thread title?

Thank you in advance,

Society for the Prevention and Elimination of Redundancy and Unnecessary Repetition

Sure....but how?

Go to the first post in the thread. Click "edit". That will bring up both the post itself and the thread title/subtitle. Change accordingly and click "complete edit" or whichever the choice is.

Since you started the thread, what say you get rid of "baseball" from the thread title?

Thank you in advance,

Society for the Prevention and Elimination of Redundancy and Unnecessary Repetition

Sure....but how?

Go to the first post in the thread. Click "edit". That will bring up both the post itself and the thread title/subtitle. Change accordingly and click "complete edit" or whichever the choice is.

Done and done.

Thanks, Dan.

Pedro needs to learn some junk pitches? He dominated an era because he had an upper 90s fastball, a low 70s changeup and a low 80s breaking pitch. Two-thirds of his repertoire has been junk since he entered the league. :rolleyes:

Now Pedro has an upper 80s fastball, and if he doesn't understand that he is a different pitcher, then we would have seen him keep throwing that 88 mph fastball like its supposed to be getting swings and misses. I think its bullshit to say that he thinks he is still a power pitcher. He'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise, and Pedro is one of the smartest pitchers around. He'll throw his curveball and his changeup and hope that he can spot his fastball when he needs it. He's been doing that since his final years in Fenway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know enough to say anything about his conditioning but his arm injuries were the direct result of the wear and tear he put on it when he was younger, and the fact that he's not exactly a big, hulking guy. The Red Sox knew that his labrum and rotator cuff were unlikely to hold up so they let him go - and they were not only proven right in the end, they drafted Clay Buchholz with the pick they got from the Mets. And his latest injury - hamstrings go on some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. I think its ridiculous to say that any of his injuries have anything to do with his diminished skills or any "failure" to recognize the state of those skills. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In short, if you were talking to a friend or heard this on the radio, they don't know squat.

Yeah, think it might have been the ESPN dudes. Maybe radio. Can't be sure, honestly. Last few days (weeks) have been a bit of a whirlwind. The general point was that he's getting older and not adjusting. And his continuing injuries might bear this out. Doesn't seem like too crazy of an idea. ... Was it a fastball that he injured himself on?

Pedro "Always swings at the first pitch" Feliz is no loss. He blew more rallies and lost more games at the plate then I care to remember.

Man, last night Feliz came up w/ the bases loaded and swung at the first pitch and popped up. Rally over. Phils lose 1-0. Mind you this was against the same pitcher who lost the game today by throwing 4 straight balls w/ the bases loaded. :rmad: