200+ Jazz LPs Blue Note Prestige Riverside Impulse etc.

jaybreezie

Thanks again for the welcomes from everybody. I know it would be a dereliction of message board etiquette to not jump on the new guy, so I'm not too upset. The hip hop thing just bugs me for some reason.

Good point Connoisseur about how the selling is taking place outside the community. I guess I have just mistakenly taken for granted that most dealers who sell online almost always do so through ebay, so of course that's where the marketplace usually is. I agree set sales are great when you have a relatively small number of items and don't want to hassle with ebay and its fees (again some really great records get sold in this manner on Soulstrut and Waxidermy). My thing, however, requires putting up a few hundred records at a time, and if I'm going to go through the trouble of all that, I'd prefer just listing each record once and knowing almost all will sell and I'll have a relatively certain amount of money at a relatively certain time so that the bills can get paid on time.

For whatever its worth, I've spent some time getting a feel for things here and chimed in on a few threads in other places on the board where I had a little insight. Like I said I'll probably never be a huge poster, but would hope I can come here to poke my head in every once in a while and advertise an auction when I have some jazz up. I can tell there's some deep knowledge on the board so I'll no doubt be checking back!

permit me to state the obvious. the reason i believe we have encouraged selling among established members is trust. someone who takes the time and effort to become a part of a community is, in theory, less likely to rip you off than someone who pops in for no other reason than to make money. if a member fails to live up to his part of a transaction, he risks being pressured by his peers on the board to make it right or to leave the community. that might not sound like a big deal to an outsider, but i think it can be fairly effective for members who are invested.

frankly, i don't care for the double standard practiced by some members, i.e., if a newbie is selling interesting titles at a good price then it okay, but someone asking too much for ordinary cds is almost certainly in for a rash of shit (or a shit-rash?). personally, i don't have a need for dealers coming here just to hawk their wares. i usually can find most of the titles on my want list if i'm patient and take the time to look around. at the same time, i no longer feel the need to criticize dealers who do come here just to sell, because it's obvious some members are okay with it. for example, jazzmusicdepot continues to do business here, even though he has dismissed our repeated encouragement to become a "part of the community." maybe it's time for jim, randy, and joe to decide what's cool and what's not so we can stop having this same discussion every time a newbie dealer enters the scene.

permit me to state the obvious. the reason i believe we have encouraged selling among established members is trust. someone who takes the time and effort to become a part of a community is, in theory, less likely to rip you off than someone who pops in for no other reason than to make money. if a member fails to live up to his part of a transaction, he risks being pressured by his peers on the board to make it right or to leave the community. that might not sound like a big deal to an outsider, but i think it can be fairly effective for members who are invested.

frankly, i don't care for the double standard practiced by some members, i.e., if a newbie is selling interesting titles at a good price then it okay, but someone asking too much for ordinary cds is almost certainly in for a rash of shit (or a shit-rash?). personally, i don't have a need for dealers coming here just to hawk their wares. i usually can find most of the titles on my want list if i'm patient and take the time to look around. at the same time, i no longer feel the need to criticize dealers who do come here just to sell, because it's obvious some members are okay with it. for example, jazzmusicdepot continues to do business here, even though he has dismissed our repeated encouragement to become a "part of the community." maybe it's time for jim, randy, and joe to decide what's cool and what's not so we can stop having this same discussion every time a newbie dealer enters the scene.

...like Jim Dye <_< !

Well this post saved me a lot of typing. I'm not one of the hardcore original members and I don't post as often as some but I do respect this place a lot and the above post explains my core feelings here. Because this community is smallish and so, pretty tight, it seems odd or rude to some that someone comes here primarily to sell their wares. If we had a lot of people doing it, it could change that level of trust that members here have with each other. It would be a shame to lose that.

Re: the O.P.'s journey through hip hop, some of us, myself included came to jazz from another genre. For me it was rock and roll and to some extent my dad's meager lounge music and very limited jazz albums. Though I'm not a fan of hip hop or even music created through samples of records, it doesn't matter to me that someone comes to jazz from that part of the music world. Frank Zappa helped me find jazz. :ph34r: