Anyone ever have this problem!

Jazztropic

Any advise would be great.Sold a NAD amp on ebay that worked great.Buyer emaild it is dead does not work wants refund.Within one day of email cross fire he says was damaged by shipper and has taken it apart to discover broken circuit board.Wants me to refund him money and dispute with UPS.Any words of wisdom?

Doesn't UPS have standard insurance of like $100? That should defray the loss. Probably like USPS, he'd have to do the claim though. Is a broken circuit board likely to happen without outside damage? My guess is that he's scamming you but I don't really know.

I started out open and offered to look into what are the options for this.Once he said he took it apart he lost me.And Yes outside damage is a good indication of inside damage.Yet he never stated that in the begining.I hope paypal or ebay sees this.He wont contact UPS wants refund and for me to contact.Thanks

\

Thanks for your input.

Ouch. "Taken apart" scares me as well. Still, if the box was damaged, he should have refused to accept it. Sounds like his complaint is with the shipper, not you. And unless the chassis is really messed up, a broken circuit board sounds fishy as well. A circuit board in the chassis is pretty hard to break, unless you're talking about some kluge setup thrown together at home...

i could be wrong, but i thought it was the shipper who had to file any damage claims. everyone here seems to suspect a scam, but it ain't necessarily so. and "taken apart" could simply mean that he opened the chassis (easily done) and discovered the damaged board. personally, i'd assume everything is legit until you have proof otherwise. and by that i mean that the buyer has some burden of proof to show you that the board is damaged and the amp is inoperative. you haven't made it clear whether the box and/or the amp showed signs of visible damage. if not, maybe the buyer could bring the amp to a technician to verify that the board is indeed damaged and offer an opinion as to what the possible cause might be. otherwise, he could ship it back to you and you could have it inspected. if the amp is broken and there is no evidence of foul play, i assume you would refund the original purchase price and all shipping costs.

of course, i offer this advice under the assumption that the amp isn't too old and is still worth some money. if not, you may want to just write it off and get the amp returned to you before forking over any money. although i try to be a trusting soul, there's no way i'd issue a refund just on the buyer's say-so, allowing him to keep the "damaged" amp.

• 4 weeks later...