Montreal jazz summer 2009.

As pissed off as i was last year gotta say that just in the pre-sale, they seem to have gotten their act together. So far they have announced Rava-Bollani, Shorter quartet, Chucho Valdes, Maria Schneider :excited: and Ornette Coleman :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Of course they are a few pop acts and some repeats but still it is way more motivating to go get tickets this year, let's hope that when the bulk of the programmation will be announced it remains in the same vein.

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2008/p....aspx?serie=384

• 2 months later...

For those who are interested the whole inside programmation is out. It is certainly an improvement over last year(wasn't hard to beat). Although it still is a bit right wing and a few many repeats ( Brubeck, Oliver Jones, Buddy Guy). There is still some great stuff. And it is possible to build up a great line up listening to mostly jazz

The invitation series brings trumpet player Eric Truffaz who will repeat his latest recorded project which was 3 gigs with differents sidemen in 3 different cities. Joshua Redman will play in three different settings, among them a date with with Joe Lovano, Greg Hutchinson, Reuben Rogers, Sam Yahel he will also try to recreate his CD Compass bringing the two bassist and two drummers. Finally extraordinary master of the double-bass Renaud Garcia-Fons who was the stand out last year will have three nights to showcase his ample talent.

The other top serie this year is of course Jazz dans la nuit, which will allow us to finish our evenings in flying colors, among the top names showcased will be Greg Osby, the duet Bollani-Rava, Baptiste Trotignon with Mark Turner as a sideman, Lee Konitz, Brian Blade and Fellowship, Bojan Z, a duet with Bill Charlap and Houston Person.

The remaining big names of the other series are a bit more on the conventional side but let's mention Organissimo's fav Wynton Marsalis with Chano Dominguez, Wayne Shorter and his great quartet, Rubalcaba with Holland and co,Chucho Valdes, Ornette Coleman, the Maria Schneider Orchestra a few thematic gigs showcasing the music of Miles Davis and plenty of others.

For those who are interested in discovering the local talent that will be showcased, i will single out, two gigs, first pianist Julie Lamontagne who will have as a guest Donny McCaslin, Julie is one of our current best pianist , she has a very modern sound and is quite a good technician . And the one is a guy i've been waiting for years to show his stuff as a top men ,the fine tenor sax Anfré Leroux will finally have his name on the top of the bill as he will showcase music from his first cd as a leader. Check him out because they are very few who have a sound as sweet as him.In the sad news the serie Contemporary jazz does not exist, so any left field music has been evaporated from the programmation, and we'll have plenty of uninteresting singers for lazy people who still need lyrics.

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/program/co...cted=2009-06-30

I'd really like to check out Truffaz, but unfortunately won't be there on those days. The indoor line-up looks strong.

I'll be there for just 2 nights this year - I usually hang out outside and check out the free shows. Not always (or not usually jazz), but I always manage to find something interesting. That little spot near the Theatre du Nouveau Monde generally has some nice jazz performances. I like to check out the Blues stage every night as well.

• 1 month later...

After what was a very good Off Festival held by local musicians who were annoyed by the lack of exposure given to them during the big one and a Suoni per il Popolo who as usual bring intriguing artists. The big one starts tomorrow.

The program is going to be big with three events .

For starters i'll be watching something called Jazzing flamenco

Then things will heat up with the Maria Schneider Orchestra at 8 pm

and at 10h30

Enrico Rava and Stefano Bollani.

The Jazzing Flamenco was quite forgettable, then again care little about dance. The live musical part was bland to my eyes, it sounded like fake exoticism to my ears. The Maria Schneider gig was preceded by a first act that i really did not need, because of him, i miised half of my late show.

Could have done without young guitarist Julian Lage, very gifted technique wise, but he has no artistic sense, no compositions, it was more of a skill showcase. Finally Maria came and i was not dissapointed despite a sound mix that was on the weak side. Fine solos by Ingrid Jensen and Steve Wilson were among the highlights. Of course with this great lady, wonderful compositions and arrangements, especially Sky Blue and Cerulean Skies that were as admirable on stage than it is on CD.

Arrived a bit late to see the Italian duo of Bollani and Rava, they were already in higher gear , while Rava was fored to play the straight man as Bollani showcased his exuberant self, he even quoted the star of the day Stevie Wonder during one of his solos. Rava despite looking a bit under weather was top class, bringing grace and lyricism to the music. Quite a fantastic night that ended with fireworks as we left the Gesu. A smart ass thought it was Bollani who started to play with matches.

A little word about the free Stevie Wonder gig outside, alhough it rained a bit a huge crowd was on hand. According to some reports, it turned into a little too much of a memorial for MJ. Jazz wise he played All blues and Chick Corea's Spain. Considering his body of work he could have concentrated a little more on his own stuff.

Tonight on schedule

6 pm Julie Lamontagne with guest Danny McCaslin

9:30 A bit of the Monterrey Quartet with Holland, Rubalcaba, Potter and Harland

And will finish the night with Baptiste Trotrignon with Mark Turner, Jeremy Pelt, Greg Hutchinson and Matt Penman

Found a quite good clip of the Orchestra's stuff

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=fr&a...a=N&tab=wv#

Edited by Van Basten II

Last evening started well, went to a new place called l'Astral, not a bad place, although the stage is as big as the room where the customers are sitting, so when it will be packed it will be on the tighter sides of things. Was there to see the Julie Lamontagne trio plus Danny McCaslin. Julie is still improving her piano skills and the cohesion between the group is quite remarkable a nice synergy between her and the rhythm section. Would describe her music, as modern, urban and dynamic. So the guest fiited very well in that group, bringing a Newyorkesque touch. She played all her compositions except for a piece which was an hommage to you know who, she made a nice ballad out of an Billie Jean arrangement.

Saw the Monterrey Quartet, for those not in the know, the memebers are Dave Holland, Chris Potter, Eric Harland and a dude named Rubalcaba. Fireworks were to be expected and fireworks we had. High paced intense music with great soloïng.

So, it was with a bit of regret that i left that gig to see the quintet of Baptiste Trotrignon with Mark Turner, Jeremy Pelt, Greg Hutchinson and Matt Penman, gotta say it bugs me when the festival programs two things which brings interest to the same type of customers, while they are other periods where you have to force yourself to find a gig you might enjoy.

Sorry to say, but changing places was not my greatest decision. After the Monterrey tsunasmi it felt like more like life is a quiet river. They never really found a groove, the fact that they played around in different formats did nol help. No compositions really shined and none of the players really distinguished themselves, lack of energy. Guess it was an off night, a shame because i expected a lot from them.

Tonight is going to be ladies night.

6 Pm Melody Gardot

7:30 Angèle Dubeau She"s a classical violonist who will do a few Phillip Glass pieces

10:30 Esperanza Spalding

The 3rd day was an ecclectic one to say the least.

Started the day with Melody Gardot, she started twenty minutes late, which led this comment from the person siiting next to me whether another car had finished her off...

When she arrived , she told us that Montreal was loaded with handsome men and a lady should always make wait an handsome man, as you can see, she has a stage personna that is quite charming. Music wise it was ok, her stuff is i would describe falsely sloppy, it is soft cozy music that tries to be not calculated and tight, on a smaller stage i would have enjoyed it more but the lady is now big over here. Also because of her condition, the way they set up the lighting makes for a dark stage and you barely see the people on stage which makes for an unique atmosphere. Can't help comment that she dresses in a very sexy but ladylike way and that she is indeed quite a beauty.

Arrived late to the next gig, which was a string ensemble led by violonist Angèle Dubeau doing Philip Glass music, why is it included in a jazz festival, i have no idea.

Knowing nothing about classical stuff i can't really comment on it, all i can say i've mostly enjoyed the pieces originally done in the Movie The Hours. It was also the first time i heard an harp live. Would enjoy to listen more to this instrument.

Finally finished my evening with Esperenza Spalding, first of all , she looks quite young, if i were a doorman in a club, not only i wouldn't let her in but i''d insist that she calls her parents to pick her up. Very dynamic and charismatic young lady, she took over the stage like an old pro. Rapping, singing, scatting while playing with quite a maestria her quite small bass. Her bow work needs more work but the rest she's quite great at laying down the groove.

Not a jazz concert in the strictest sense, but mostly a succession of pieces in different styles, a bit of soul, pop, brasilian music even a bit of jazz fusion done by very enthusiastic young musicians. On an artistical point of view, she is still a young prodigy, she has yet to find somethingto sink her teeth into an artistical project that will help develop.

Meanwhile, it was still a fun gig.

Tonight

Eleni Mandell (Seems i end up with her every year

Aaron Parks Trio

Lee Konitz with Minsarah

The friday night started in a fine fashion with Eleni Mandell, she has nothing to do with jazz but she still remains an excellent artist who has a great record output. Her music is not that easy to describe, it's not pop, it's not rock, it's npt country she has her own brand of music that is bewitching and quite haunting.

Went to see Aaron Parks with his trio, and as someone mentionned in the thread about him, the jury is still out. Not sure if he is aiming for being a modern collective trio à la EST, a few tunes seemed to aspire to that, he has not yet found the hypnotic abilities of the late group. Technique wise, he is solid but not spectacular, which can be a good thing but i gues it's a YMMV. Also the drummer sounded like a guy who was in an electronica band.,which at times was a bit distracting and also it made a rhythm section that did not really swing, so it was a bit on the weird side, either they have not matured yet into the sound they want to acheive or they are one of those musical cerebal band that too often leave me cold.

To end the night i saw Lee Konitz playing with a formation i never heard before called Minsarah. Was quite an enjoyable gig, Konitz did what he usually does by bringing his soft lyrical brand of alto music, the trio played behing him a soft and subtle swinging music which gave Lee plenty of room to solo in. Not sure that putting an acoustic set even in a small place like the Gesu is a great decision. People coughing and the chairs squeaking were too often louder than the musicians. A nice cozy way to end the night.

Today

André Leroux :excited:

Gerald Clayton trio (That i know very little about)

Brian Blade and the Fellowship

Edited by Van Basten II

Saw André Leroux with his band, was quite nervous at first, it took a few tunes to settle down. Music wise as expected it was great, however he is far from a guy who takes these gigs as opportunities for career advancement. So, the way they picked what they're going to play was a bit à la bonne franquette and when the nerves calmed it turn into an anonymous usual gig in a small bar . It shows a bit why this talented musician never worked as a frontman. Managing does not seem his strong suit.

Enjoyed a lot Gerald Clayton, very elegant playing, his rhythm section was quite dynamic but not in a swinging way, they seemed to have more of an european influence which gelled well with the pianist, although the drummer kinda got on my nerves by falling in love with his cymbal. When they arrived, i thought they switched places with Burning Spear as all three sport dreadlocks.

Finally saw Brian Blade, great warm, intense and spiritual music led by one of the most fascinating drummer of our day. The whole band was great, let's mention Myron Walden on alto offered a few fantastic solos. One of the best gigs i've seen so far.

Today

Joshua Redman, Sam Yahel, Gregory Hutchinson and Reuben Rogers with special guest Joe Lovano

and

Branford Marsalis Quartet

Edited by Van Basten II

Saw André Leroux with his band, was quite nervous at first, it took a few tunes to settle down. Music wise as expected it was great, however he is far from a guy who takes these gigs as opportunities for career advancement. So, the way they picked what they're going to play was a bit à la bonne franquette and when the nerves calmed it turn into an anonymous usual gig in a small bar . It shows a bit why this talented musician never worked as a frontman. Managing does not seem his strong suit.

Enjoyed a lot Gerald Clayton, very elegant playing, his rhythm section was quite dynamic but not in a swinging way, they seemed to have more of an european influence which gelled well with the pianist, although the drummer kinda got on my nerves by falling in love with his cymbal. When they arrived, i thought they switched places with Burning Spear as all three sport dreadlocks.

Finally saw Brian Blade, great warm, intense and spiritual music led by one of the most fascinating drummer of our day. The whole band was great, let's mention Myron Walden on alto offered a few fantastic solos. One of the best gigs i've seen so far.

Today

Joshua Redman, Sam Yahel, Gregory Hutchinson and Reuben Rogers with special guest Joe Lovano

and

Branford Marsalis Quartet

glad you enjoyed one of our favorite sons in L.A., Gerald Clayton. he's been developing into a fantastic musician and he's still a young man.

Brian Blade, indeed, is one of the most incredible drummers around. i never tire of hearing/watching him.

hope the Branford Marsalis Quartet is as good as they were a few years ago! they were magnificent at the Monterey Jazz Festival.

enjoy and thank you for sharing with us.

The festival is great on paper and it delivers on stage also.

Gig with Redman and Lovano was quite simple, it was basically a jam session, played mostly well etablished tunesby the likes of Tristano, Shorter, etc. ask the rhythm section to stay on course and let the two stars blow. And they did it in quite spectacular fashion. Rarely heard Redman in such a dynamic fashion. Small bummer was hoping to see Yahel on the B3. One hell of a ride though.

Brandford Marsalis was also quite satisfactory, small lament Jeff Tain Watts departure he was replaced by an 18 year old drummer called Justin Faulkner quite talented he has not exactly the same style than Watts, a little more nervous and a less heavy sound. Great modern music playing with one of the most underrated pianist in Joey Calderazzo. They played almost 2 hours without intermission which was quite generous.

Both gigs finished in fine style with Body and Soul for Redman and St-Louis Blues for Marsalis.

Tonight only one gig Jimmy Cobb doing an hommage to Miles Davis with bandmates Wallace Roney, Vincent Herring, Javon Jackson, Larry Willis.

Saw the Jimmy Cobb band last night, not a bad evening. It was something between a revival and a live concert. They played at a more dynamical pace than the album. Roney was obviously fine. But considering the level of playing i've heard lately, it pales a bit.

Still miffed that the Lorau, Bojan Z and co gig was taken away.

Tonight all the focus will be on the big outside show, which will focus on Rocksteady. Will take a break.

Edited by Van Basten II

Looks like someone didn't like the Maria Schneider concert... This one's under discussion on Doug Ramsey's Rifftides... http://communities.canada.com/montrealgaze...-bare-arms.aspx

Things are heating up, many people including well-known musicians blasted the column for the mysoginistic point of view and overall idiotic tone of the article, Mara Schneider herself wrote a comment, the writer replied back, and he keeps on getting criticized. Usually they are always some people who are dissenting, but so far none yet, it's pretty impressive in this day and age to have 100 % of people having the same opinion about something.

Today, the inside gigs are resuming. It's a good thing because the weather has been quite shitty in Montreal. Tonight a doubleheader with Charlie Haden and friends followed by the Bill Frisell quartet

It was an all-American music night as Charlie Haden offered his bluegrass project. On the positive side of things Charie was quite happy which is always an uncommon site. Also he brought good musicians with him and it was a sweet show and since we rarely have access to this kind of music here, it's was still fun.

On the less positive side of things, well we barely could hear Charlie play, the musicians played on the safe side of things, the members of the Haden family were mostly there because they were members of that family, the Hadens are not gonna make us forget the Carters, they are decent at singing in harmony but none were exactly bringing down the house..

The festival works with names, that means that people buy tickets in function of the headliner, whether they heard of him and has a great rep no matter what he has done lately or what his project might be. So in this case, when the music started and people saw it was that kind of music with violins, dobro and all that stuff we saw people who could not find fast enough the exit.

The Bill Frisell quartet will have to be considered as one of the top gigs of the festival, great interaction with the very fine members of his band , the repertory was mostly usual Frisell stuff, moon river, lovesick blues etc. Frisell was on his a game with his brand of impressionist americana Let's mention the members of this group because they deserve proper recognition Ron Miles cornet, Tony Scherr bass and Rudy Royston drums.

Tonight Renaud Garcia-Fons (He will do three different gigs in three nights)

and

Ornette Coleman

Sad news item to pass along, not sure if he's well known here to make a thread about him. Jazz writer, photograph Len Dobbin was declared clinically dead last night, he was at the Upstairs bar to attend the Felix Stussi/ Ray Anderson gig when he suddenly colapsed.

Len was a great friend of the jazz community, Pepper Adams even wrote a song in his honor titled Dobbin.

RIP

Edited by Van Basten II

Sad news item to pass along, not sure if he's well known here to make a thread about him. Jazz writer, photograph Len Dobbin was declared clinically dead last night, he was at the Upstairs bar to attend the Felix Stussi/ Ray Anderson gig when he suddenly colapsed.

Len was a great friend of the jazz community, Pepper Adams even wrote a song in his honor titled Dobbin.

RIP

Oh man, there should be a thread, he's done some great jazz photography and writing.

I see there's but one article on the web that mentions his death. :(

Saw the Jimmy Cobb band last night, not a bad evening. It was something between a revival and a live concert. They played at a more dynamical pace than the album. Roney was obviously fine. But considering the level of playing i've heard lately, it pales a bit.

That's interesting to hear. Cobb's 'Kind of Blue' band is playing the Tower of London (!) in September in recognition of the 50th for the album. Would you recommend it?

It depends of your expectations, a YMMV kinda thing going. For me it was a good hors d'oeuvre but i still needed some more meat after that.

It was good music but nothing out of the ordinary, if you demand musicianship you'll be dissapointed, but if you enjoy watching guys covering the past with a certain level of pleasure while playing within their level of confort you might enjoy it.

It depends of your expectations, a YMMV kinda thing going. For me it was a good hors d'oeuvre but i still needed some more meat after that.

It was good music but nothing out of the ordinary, if you demand musicianship you'll be dissapointed, but if you enjoy watching guys covering the past with a certain level of pleasure while playing within their level of confort you might enjoy it.

Thanks !

RIP

Oh man that's terrible news. I talked to him last week at Upstairs. He was there for the Jensen Five concert.

This guy was the father of jazz in Montreal.

Very sad news indeed.