Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stefan Wood

Carl Nielsen Symphonies box on broinc

7 posts in this topic

Berkshire music has this wonderful 3 cd set of Carl Nielsen symphonies, conducted by Ole Schmidt on Regis for $11.97. Highly recommended and at a good price! :tup

Berkshire music has this wonderful 3 cd set of Carl Nielsen symphonies, conducted by Ole Schmidt on Regis for $11.97. Highly recommended and at a good price! :tup

I have these on separate LP from the 70s. They were my first exposure to Nielsen and drew me in.

Stefan's right. Impressive performances. I'm especially fond of the Fourth and Sixth in this set.

The Regis remastering is an improvement over the earlier CD mastering on Unicorn.

Great price. Can't speak for the performances. I own the Blomstedt/San Francisco Symphony collection and I'm pretty happy with them.

The Schmidt and the Blomstedts are considered the best of the bunch. I prefer the Regis cds as I feel the performances are a bit stronger.

I can't for the life of me understand why the Blomstedts are so highly rated. To me, he seems to miss a lot in this music, especially the humor.

But his San Francisco set is much better than his first one, for EMI.

I can't for the life of me understand why the Blomstedts are so highly rated. To me, he seems to miss a lot in this music, especially the humor.

But his San Francisco set is much better than his first one, for EMI.

I'm with you there but I only know the EMI recordings from the lp box. The Schmidt set is dandy - I had it in the original Unicorn lp box and have had the Regis set for a few years.