BFT # 70 - Listen and discuss

Durium

Okay, I didn’t peek. The only one I can positively ID is 6, and someone should have nailed that one already.

1 It’s a prettified version of one of those vamps from “In a Silent Way.” OK, I’m suitably impressed with the bass player’s nice bow sound and good intonation. Bassist must be the leader, because the rest of the trio sure is deferential to him. Short and slick. Tickles my brain but not my heart. A McBride thing?

2. Nice theme. Nice piano. Nice trumpet or cornet. It’s all so nice. Horn player might have had me, but lost me with the unnecessary quote from “ESP” near the end of his solo. Then the piano player quotes “Emily” and the horn quotes “I Love You” and we’re all showing how smart we are. The ending mostly recovers. But I’m not feelin’ it anymore.

3. I’ll guess Venuti because Grappelli’s intonation was better. Piano doesn’t do much for me. Then, holy crap, is that the real Django or a good imitator?

4. The head sounds like Blood, Sweat & Tears “Spinning Wheel” for a few bars, and then it doesn’t. Which is worse, the tenor’s time or his intonation? And he doesn’t know when to stop. The piano might be enjoyable if the tenor would shut up. Is that an accordion in there? Drummer thinks he’s doing Elvin, but he ain’t.

5. “Nuages” on basses. First solo has too many notes! Make him stop! This is not a few too many, this is waaaay too many! Second solo is better by having some breathing room.

6. Ahh, the antidote. Don Byas and Slam Stewart play “I Got Rhythm,” the recording from Town Hall in ’44 or ‘45. Familiar to a lot of us from the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz. And now I realize how much the tenor solo echoes in the work of others.

7. Love for Sale on guitar and piano, with a few beats disappearing here and there, which I kinda like. Russell Malone & Benny Green? I like the guitar solo’s last bridge. Pianist needs to stop hitting all those notes just because he can.

8. The Flintstones on mallets. The one on the right is a marimba, no? Nice woody ping to it. Cute.

9. Aha, it’s the bass BFT. Here’s somebody showing off his bow prowess and playing a bunch of figures copped from the Bach Cello Suites. A hint of “Night and Day” in the chord changes. Did he really have to keep up the same figuration all the way through? Then the piano comes in and it’s more than a hint of “Night & Day.”

10. It’s like an ‘80s pop song that I’m too square or apathetic to recognize. OK, more technically fine bass playing, but I’m left wanting something besides technique. The electronic percussion leaves me cold. Sounds like something from one of the Brian Bromberg records.

11. I’m thinking some kind of Paquito clarinet project. The cello player is eating this up. This feels good.

12. “Our Delight.” This is that Tommy Flanagan/Hank Jones duet date, isn’t it? I don't seem to have the record anymore.

13. “Crazeology” on tenor and bass. A nice hot edge to the tenor tone. Maybe Junior Cook? Lovely.

14. Two pianos; theme sounds Spanish and vaguely familiar. This could have turned into a festival of banging at the keys, but it didn’t.

15. It certainly is fast. Michael Brecker and Chick Corea? I confess, I don’t like this kind of tenor sound.

Thanks for a couple of hours of head-scratching fun, Durium!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think track 14 is Bebo Vadés and his son Chucho, from this album. (Or possibly from the European edition of the Calle 54 soundtrack, which is 2 discs and has a duo track with these two...)

514uMyvpyiL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

With Bebo starting out. I like his playing much better than Chucho's to be honest... Chucho has always struck me as being a little too flashy, just because he can. (What an acquaintance of mine once referred to as an "All the notes, just for me" approach.)

Edit: I'm going to go with "La Comparsa," from the Calle 54 soundtrack...

31HUydW2bDL._SL500_AA170_.jpg

Edited by seeline

I'm a little late to the party.... I wrote the following before reading any of the thread, but added a few edits based on what I've read.

I've enjoyed listening and like most of the selections. I see a couple have identified already. Is the theme Duos and Cellos?

1. Well, cello there! Beautiful cello sound. Just when the suspended feel was about to drive me crazy, the piece resolved. Very nicely done – nice improvising by the cellist, although his/her arco sound is so good that I wish he/she had continued using the bow throughout.

(Edit - wow - was I wrong about it being a cello? I was so sure....)

2. Nice flugelhorn sound (I think it’s flugelhorn rather than trumpet, but I could be wrong), but he needs to take his horn to the shop – one valve sure is making lots of noise. A lovely seven minutes of music by two accomplished musicians – no forced climaxes; the piece develops organically. I like it a lot.

(Edit - looks like was wrong about the flugel.)

3. Is it an Organissimo requirement that Django must be included in every blindfold test? This is an interesting recording. Since he doesn’t pick up his guitar until well after the violin has finished, I’m guessing that Django is playing the violin as well. Not much technique on violin, but lots of imagination. Stephane on piano?

4. I really don’t know what this is, except some of the synth sounds remind of what Sun Ra was using around 1986-88. Don’t recognize the tenor player – it doesn’t sound like John Gilmore to me. The homespun quality of the recording suggests Ra, also, though. In any case, it’s a pretty sketchy piece – it doesn’t start much of anywhere and doesn’t go much of anywhere. If it’s Ra, I hope he will look down from the cosmos and forgive me for not liking this, because I love much of his music.

5. “Nuages” by two basses. Or cello and bass – I never could decide about the guy or girl in the left channel. But very nice, whichever. I enjoyed the contrast in the two players’ sounds.

6. Don Byas/Slam Stewart – “I Got Rhythm” from Town Hall, 1945. An amazing display of musical prowess – Byas is all over the saxophone and the changes. When I first heard this years ago, it was the first time I had heard the substitute chords for this tune starting on F sharp and working through the circle of fourths back to B flat. I thought it was extremely hip, and still do.

7. “Love for Sale” in seven. Sounds like the kind of thing Brad Meldau would do, but I don’t really know. Swinging and creative – they never let the seven sound like a gimmick. The guitar player is driving me crazy because I think I recognize him, but can’t come up with who it is – it’s on the tip of my mind.

8. Vibes and marimba playing Sting’s favorite variant of “I Got Rhythm.” (See Bring on the Night if you don’t know what I’m talking about.) I couldn’t decide if this was two people or an overdubbed version. It’s very technically accomplished, but it didn’t do much for me in terms of emotional reaction.

9. “Night and Day” – the harmonies anyway – played very impressively in an arpeggiated fashion by an excellent cellist. The only question is why. I already know the chords of “Night and Day.” I don’t know what to say – it’s impressive and disappointing at the same time. Somebody’s an amazing player, but I’d like to hear him/her do something else.

10. Excellent basses over programmed percussion. It sounds like the kind of thing that Miroslav Vitous might have done at one stage of his career, but I don’t know who it is. I went through a period in my youth when I was accepting, even enthusiastic about programmed percussion, but that faded fast. Even when well done, as it is hear, the music just doesn’t breath with drum machines. Great bass playing, though.

11. Beautiful sounds from everyone (very accomplished cello and clarinet), even if it doesn’t cut very deep. (To me, anyway.) I have no idea who or what this is, but I hate not to hazard a guess on the clarinetist – could it be New Orleanian Tim Laughlin?

(Edit - Ignorant me - I didn't know Paquito sounded so great on clarinet.)

12. I love Tadd Dameron, and these guys do, too. “Our Delight” played by two very good pianists whom I can’t identify. Who needs bass and drums? These guys are swinging – improvising excellently, too.

(Edit - makes sense now!)

13. I don’t know who it is, but it’s good. The tenor player has a lot of soul – I’d rather hear this than someone playing really slickly. The tune is “Crazeology “ – by Benny Harris, not Charlie Parker.

14. Another piano duet I can’t identify. Good interaction between the two players.

15. What the hell is this and why have I never heard it before now? A couple of monster players. Both sound familiar, but I don’t know who they are. This is great – looking forward to finding out more about it.

Looking forward to finding out more.

Edited by jeffcrom

I started to listen to this tonight and thanks Durium: beautiful music. I'm not sure I would hazard any guesses although on the early tracks I'm thinking Django on one and Slam Stewart on another. Found track 2 very contemplative; no idea who however.

Thanks for your nice words, Brad about the music. Your suggestions are very interesting and I'd love to ask you to specify it. In what tracks do you suggest these musicians?

Keep Swinging

Durium

Durium,

I'm thinking that it may Django and Stephane Grapelli are on track 3. Whoever it may be, I like the guitar playing.

I thought it might be Slam on track 6. Sounds really like him. Don't know who the horn player is but he's playing at a heady speed so he must have been influenced by some of the bop players.

I have no idea who is on track 7 but this is an amazing duet on a tune whose name I can't remember (and it's driving me crazy 'cause I should know it). My only objection is that the pianist seems to overshadow the guitarist a little and probably could tone it down a little but I can't wait to find out who this is as I would buy the recording. Even my son who plays guitar was impressed by the playing.

Track 8 made me laugh: Meet the Flintstones. Strikes me as something Red Norvo might have done. Don't know why.

Track 12 must be a Tadd Dameron tune. No idea who's playing but great runs.

That's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks Brad for the more detailed suggestions. Let's have a look.

3. Well - no comment at this moment. I'll come back later with this track .........., but you're right - it's a damn good guitar player. <_<

6. You're right - it is Slam playing the double bass, but who's the horn player?

7. I think both musician will like your observations ...... !!

8. The good old days ........... indeed - The Flintstones, but Red Norvo is not involved in this.

12. It is a Tadd Dameron tune. In fact it was already identified by Thom.

Thanks for your suggestions, Brad. I guess you should listen again to track number 3 to give some more exact information.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Okay, I didn’t peek. The only one I can positively ID is 6, and someone should have nailed that one already.

1 It’s a prettified version of one of those vamps from “In a Silent Way.” OK, I’m suitably impressed with the bass player’s nice bow sound and good intonation. Bassist must be the leader, because the rest of the trio sure is deferential to him. Short and slick. Tickles my brain but not my heart. A McBride thing?

2. Nice theme. Nice piano. Nice trumpet or cornet. It’s all so nice. Horn player might have had me, but lost me with the unnecessary quote from “ESP” near the end of his solo. Then the piano player quotes “Emily” and the horn quotes “I Love You” and we’re all showing how smart we are. The ending mostly recovers. But I’m not feelin’ it anymore.

3. I’ll guess Venuti because Grappelli’s intonation was better. Piano doesn’t do much for me. Then, holy crap, is that the real Django or a good imitator?

4. The head sounds like Blood, Sweat & Tears “Spinning Wheel” for a few bars, and then it doesn’t. Which is worse, the tenor’s time or his intonation? And he doesn’t know when to stop. The piano might be enjoyable if the tenor would shut up. Is that an accordion in there? Drummer thinks he’s doing Elvin, but he ain’t.

5. “Nuages” on basses. First solo has too many notes! Make him stop! This is not a few too many, this is waaaay too many! Second solo is better by having some breathing room.

Thanks Spontanous for the hours you spent to listen to my compilation. It's good to learn that you had a lot of fun. Let's have a look to the first 5 tracks.

1. He is a great bass player, but not from the States, so .... Christian McBride is definitely out of the race :mellow:

2. Okay - you seem to be less positive about the musicians in this track then others - I was fascinated when I heard the trrumpet player for the very first time!!

3. Well - like I wrote in Brad's notes: no comments .............. but the violin player is neither Stepane nor Joe. :rolleyes:

4. Well a lot of thought about this rather weird track.

5. You're right - two basses.

Thanks for the first five. Sorry, but I keep my cards closed to my chest for some tracks .............. hope you don't mind - I'll be back later on these issues.

Keep Swinging

Durium

6. Ahh, the antidote. Don Byas and Slam Stewart play “I Got Rhythm,” the recording from Town Hall in ’44 or ‘45. Familiar to a lot of us from the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz. And now I realize how much the tenor solo echoes in the work of others.

7. Love for Sale on guitar and piano, with a few beats disappearing here and there, which I kinda like. Russell Malone & Benny Green? I like the guitar solo’s last bridge. Pianist needs to stop hitting all those notes just because he can.

8. The Flintstones on mallets. The one on the right is a marimba, no? Nice woody ping to it. Cute.

9. Aha, it’s the bass BFT. Here’s somebody showing off his bow prowess and playing a bunch of figures copped from the Bach Cello Suites. A hint of “Night and Day” in the chord changes. Did he really have to keep up the same figuration all the way through? Then the piano comes in and it’s more than a hint of “Night & Day.”

10. It’s like an ‘80s pop song that I’m too square or apathetic to recognize. OK, more technically fine bass playing, but I’m left wanting something besides technique. The electronic percussion leaves me cold. Sounds like something from one of the Brian Bromberg records.

6. You're right - as you suggested in the first lines. This is correct and parts were suggested by Harold_Z and Thom already. A real classic.

6. I Got Rhythm ( George Gershwin) / from L’ HISTOIRE DU – THE HISTORY OF SAXOPHONE JAZZ (10 CD box) (2007)

Don Byas tenor saxophone / Slam Stewart bass

Recorded in New York City, 9th of June, 1945

cd_andre_francis.jpg

I found it on a 10 CD box L'Histoire du / The Story of Saxophone Jazz. It is a live concert recorded in the Town Hall in New York City organized by Timme Rosenkrantz. It was originally released on a Baronet 78rpm recording.

I have always liked Don Byas, maybe because he lived in our country the last part of his life married with a Dutch woman. I've never heard him playing ( yes, I'm that aged already :crazy: ). It is one of those bebop player that should be played more often. Last summer I received from the author a copy of the Don Byas discography, as compiled by Cornelis J. Hazevoet, Ph.D. , better known as Kees Hazevoet, who was a Dutch piano player during the 1960s and 70s. He now lives in Portugal.

Slam Stewart, of course, is remembered for his weird Slim and Slam duos with Slim Gaillard - for me nostalgia from the times listening to programs like The Groove Juice special on VPRO radio. I once posted a blog aboutb this duo titled A Dime a Dozen - just fun ( as it has nothing to do with this track, except that Sam is involved in both tunes) :crazy:

7. No, it's not Russell Malone or Benny Green.

8. Yes, it is a vibraphone and marimba and it's the Flintstone theme. Maybe some can identify the players.

9. It's not a hint ....... the theme is it is Night and Day. Is it player?

10. It's a 80s recording - that's a point for you.

Well - I have to leave for my work now - I'll be back later !!

Keep Swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

11. I’m thinking some kind of Paquito clarinet project. The cello player is eating this up. This feels good.

12. “Our Delight.” This is that Tommy Flanagan/Hank Jones duet date, isn’t it? I don't seem to have the record anymore.

13. “Crazeology” on tenor and bass. A nice hot edge to the tenor tone. Maybe Junior Cook? Lovely.

14. Two pianos; theme sounds Spanish and vaguely familiar. This could have turned into a festival of banging at the keys, but it didn’t.

15. It certainly is fast. Michael Brecker and Chick Corea? I confess, I don’t like this kind of tenor sound.

Let's finish your list of suggestions.

11. Sure, this is Paquito d' Rivera and the celllist is Yo-Yo Ma. It was already discussed in a previous post and identified !!

12. It is. This track was aslo discussed in a previous post.

13. You right concerning the title of the tune - it is Crazeology, but it isn't Junior Cook.

14. Right - two pianos indeed and the music has that latin flavor ...................

15. No, not the late Michael Brecker nor Chick Corea.

Thanks Sponttoneous for your comments. It's good to read how you listenend to the music - great - that's why we do this !! :unsure:

Keep Swinging

Durium

I think track 14 is Bebo Vadés and his son Chucho, from this album. (Or possibly from the European edition of the Calle 54 soundtrack, which is 2 discs and has a duo track with these two...)

514uMyvpyiL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

With Bebo starting out. I like his playing much better than Chucho's to be honest... Chucho has always struck me as being a little too flashy, just because he can. (What an acquaintance of mine once referred to as an "All the notes, just for me" approach.)

Edit: I'm going to go with "La Comparsa," from the Calle 54 soundtrack...

31HUydW2bDL._SL500_AA170_.jpg

Thanks Seeline for that - it's correct.

B00005ASYT.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

La Comparsa ( Ernesto Lecuona) / from CALLE 54 ( 2000)

Chucho Valdés: piano / Bebo Valdés piano

Recorded March 2000

I found this great piano det at the Calle 54 soundtrack album - a geat album which contains several of my favorites like Eliane Elias( I heard her live in Rotterdam ( summer 2008), Michel Camiloand Horacio El Negro Hernandez ( He performed here November 2005. )

I heard Chuco Valdes at the piano, more then 12 years ago, in the Porgy en Bess Jazz Club - Terrneuzen as part of the Roy Hargrove Crisol group and then he fascinated me. In the film Calle 54 I found him back with his father Bebo - he must be in his 90s now. He seems to live in Sweden now. I've never seen this film / documentary. I like the way these two generation "communicate" playing the keys - the virtuoso Chucho and the carefully playing Bebo. Mind that Bebo, although he started his musical career in the 1930s and didn't had played for 34 years, when he was rediscovered again in the mid 1990s. five years before these recordings.

Bebo Valdes - Chuco Valdes: Two great piano players

Thanks Seeline for that.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Is #8 by Steve Hobbs, from his "Escape" album?

8. No, I'm sorry, HotPtah - it's not !!

Keep Swinging

Durium

I'm a little late to the party.... I wrote the following before reading any of the thread, but added a few edits based on what I've read.

I've enjoyed listening and like most of the selections. I see a couple have identified already. Is the theme Duos and Cellos?

1. Well, cello there! Beautiful cello sound. Just when the suspended feel was about to drive me crazy, the piece resolved. Very nicely done – nice improvising by the cellist, although his/her arco sound is so good that I wish he/she had continued using the bow throughout.

(Edit - wow - was I wrong about it being a cello? I was so sure....)

2. Nice flugelhorn sound (I think it’s flugelhorn rather than trumpet, but I could be wrong), but he needs to take his horn to the shop – one valve sure is making lots of noise. A lovely seven minutes of music by two accomplished musicians – no forced climaxes; the piece develops organically. I like it a lot.

(Edit - looks like was wrong about the flugel.)

3. Is it an Organissimo requirement that Django must be included in every blindfold test? This is an interesting recording. Since he doesn’t pick up his guitar until well after the violin has finished, I’m guessing that Django is playing the violin as well. Not much technique on violin, but lots of imagination. Stephane on piano?

4. I really don’t know what this is, except some of the synth sounds remind of what Sun Ra was using around 1986-88. Don’t recognize the tenor player – it doesn’t sound like John Gilmore to me. The homespun quality of the recording suggests Ra, also, though. In any case, it’s a pretty sketchy piece – it doesn’t start much of anywhere and doesn’t go much of anywhere. If it’s Ra, I hope he will look down from the cosmos and forgive me for not liking this, because I love much of his music.

5. “Nuages” by two basses. Or cello and bass – I never could decide about the guy or girl in the left channel. But very nice, whichever. I enjoyed the contrast in the two players’ sounds.

Dear Jeffcrom,

Thanks for your list of suggestions. I will discuss each track - some have already been identified., but, as you say. you haven't read the previous posts ...................

1. I agree about the great sound, but, as you say - is it a cello? No, it isn't !!

2. Well - the info on the record says that he plays both Brazilian trumpet and flugelhorn - when I heard him playing he used both instruments.

3. Great ears, JeffCrom !! It's Django ............ sure. One of our listmates said that he found it strange that he heard the violin first and then the guitar. That seems to be strange, as, let's say Stephane, normally played together with the guitar of Django. Isn't it great to learn that this great musician, next year we'll celebrate his 100th birthday, played the violin in

such a great way? A born musician !!

It should be easy now for our fellow listmates to find out who the other(s) (?) are / were. Chapeau JeffCrom :blush2:

4. No, it isn't Sun Ra, but it is from ca. 1970. This man made some great recordings 5 years earlier, in which he didn't use a synth, but he loved to experiment ............ and that sounds really great :crazy:

Maybe I'll give you some hints later ................

5. Two basses - two syles of playing - great: it makes this track ( this album) very enjoyable. You're right about that.

Keep Swinging

Durium

6. Don Byas/Slam Stewart – “I Got Rhythm” from Town Hall, 1945. An amazing display of musical prowess – Byas is all over the saxophone and the changes. When I first heard this years ago, it was the first time I had heard the substitute chords for this tune starting on F sharp and working through the circle of fourths back to B flat. I thought it was extremely hip, and still do.

7. “Love for Sale” in seven. Sounds like the kind of thing Brad Meldau would do, but I don’t really know. Swinging and creative – they never let the seven sound like a gimmick. The guitar player is driving me crazy because I think I recognize him, but can’t come up with who it is – it’s on the tip of my mind.

8. Vibes and marimba playing Sting’s favorite variant of “I Got Rhythm.” (See Bring on the Night if you don’t know what I’m talking about.) I couldn’t decide if this was two people or an overdubbed version. It’s very technically accomplished, but it didn’t do much for me in terms of emotional reaction.

9. “Night and Day” – the harmonies anyway – played very impressively in an arpeggiated fashion by an excellent cellist. The only question is why. I already know the chords of “Night and Day.” I don’t know what to say – it’s impressive and disappointing at the same time. Somebody’s an amazing player, but I’d like to hear him/her do something else.

10. Excellent basses over programmed percussion. It sounds like the kind of thing that Miroslav Vitous might have done at one stage of his career, but I don’t know who it is. I went through a period in my youth when I was accepting, even enthusiastic about programmed percussion, but that faded fast. Even when well done, as it is hear, the music just doesn’t breath with drum machines. Great bass playing, though.

Let's run through track 6 up to 10.

6. Very well - a great comment. It is, of course Don ByYas and Slam Stewart. It was discussed before and identiefied.

7. Thanks for your nice words about these great musicians -'I think they are rather iunknown in your part of the world ........... The piano player just released a record, recorded at our club recently.

8. Sure - vibes and marimba ................... not overdubbed, but, I agree, a bit a hodge-podge of sounds !!

9. This cello player made a lot recordings and it is great to be at a concert in which he participates .............. You're right - the tune is called Night and Day, although the theme is not very well clear.

10. Okay - an excellent programmed percussion, but is it all "programmed"? I wonder ......

I hope I'm not making you to much puzzling now ........................ if so - sorry for that !!

Keep Swinging

Durium

11. Beautiful sounds from everyone (very accomplished cello and clarinet), even if it doesn’t cut very deep. (To me, anyway.) I have no idea who or what this is, but I hate not to hazard a guess on the clarinetist – could it be New Orleanian Tim Laughlin?

(Edit - Ignorant me - I didn't know Paquito sounded so great on clarinet.)

12. I love Tadd Dameron, and these guys do, too. “Our Delight” played by two very good pianists whom I can’t identify. Who needs bass and drums? These guys are swinging – improvising excellently, too.

(Edit - makes sense now!)

13. I don’t know who it is, but it’s good. The tenor player has a lot of soul – I’d rather hear this than someone playing really slickly. The tune is “Crazeology “ – by Benny Harris, not Charlie Parker.

14. Another piano duet I can’t identify. Good interaction between the two players.

15. What the hell is this and why have I never heard it before now? A couple of monster players. Both sound familiar, but I don’t know who they are. This is great – looking forward to finding out more about it.

11. No it isn't Tim Laughlin. I think you know both soloists. It has been identified in as previous postig, but if you like: give it a second chance.

12. Indeed - two great piano players. also identified in a previous post. Two really great veterans who don't need a fulkl orchestra ...... or even a small rhythm seciton. :excited:

13. Sure -the title is correct including the composer.

14. These father and son ( !) were identified in omne of the previous posts.

15. I'm sure you must remember this piano player.

Thanks, JeffCrom - for your remarks. It feels good to do this - listening and discussing music with friends.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Dear friends,

It seems as if the discussion needs some impulses or maybe I should lift a corner of the veil?

2. I hope to hear this trumpet player soon in concert.

4. The leader of this group debuted in The Netherlands as the curtain-raiser of the Jay Jay Johnson Quintet more then 50 years ago in a group labeled as the American Jazz Sextet.

15. He's a great piano player, but a head shorter than me

Well enough for now. Hope it helps to float the ship :crazy:

Keep Swinging

Durium

BFT70

Sorry to be so late Durium – so much going on in the run-up to Christmas. But here we go.

1 Well, here’s one I don’t know for a start! Sounds like a feature for a bass player. Well, it IS a feature for a bass player. I was going to say Ray Drummond, before he stared bowing. A very funky piece of bowing, I must say. And it AIN’T Paul Chambers!

2 Nice, quiet, attention-grabbing start to this. The pianist sounds pretty familiar. The trumpet player sounds a bit like Freddie Hubbard, but in a quiet mood, that’s somewhat unlike him. What seemed to be wrong with the trumpet solo is that it was a series of nice phrases strung together, rather than a flow of melody. The pianist is rather better, but still he’s stopping to get a new set of ideas each chorus. It’s a pity, I think, because it would have been a great piece for a sustained lyrical improvisation. Someone like Woody Shaw would be all over a song like this, never ceasing to flow. And a number of pianists from all periods of jazz would have done the same.

3 This is a pretty nice piece. I don’t know who these people are, though the guitarist sounds like Django – which doesn’t mean anything; I’ve even seen Julian Bream playing like Django – and the violinist like Stephane – which also doesn’t mean anything.

4 What a funny sounding sax. Accordion accompaniment, or some kind of synthesiser? If you’ve heard this sax player a time or two, you’d probably guess him, but I know I’ve never heard him before.

5 Two bass feature – or bass & cello – on a tune I think I recognise – it’s not “Through the courtesy of love”, though it’s like it. I think it’s a jazz original. This is bothering me so much that I’m not really paying attention to the players. So I’ll forget what tune it is. At least, it’s a cello and bass. And vey nicely played, if mainly interesting to those with a specialist ear.

6 “Rhythm” – tenor & bass duet. Fast. Major Holley styled bass solo with vocal. Don’t think it’s him, though; voice is different and this is – well, it’s a little bit more modern than Major went. And a bit boring as a whole, really.

I think I’ve guessed your theme, though. These are all bits of combos – not a full rhythm section among them.

7 “Love for sale”. Is this Rene Thomas? Or somebody Guerlay? (Roger?) Both the guitarist and the pianist, whom I can’t even take a shot at, are doing me a lot of good over here. This is really interesting to listen to. Those guys are really together. So fine.

8 “Flintstones theme”! Yay! A little bit of research and I could nail this one. Can’t be many vibes players – no, it’s a xylophone, isn’t it? – who’ve tried this one out. And it’s nice, too.

9 This seems to be a classical piece.

10 Oh, I’m liking this one all right. Reminds me of Dave Holland a bit, but he wouldn’t, I feel, play any music like this – or would he?

11 This is lovely – but it seems to have a full rhythm section behind it. Not the foggiest idea of who this is but I might start to buy their records. Booful.

12 “Our delight” by a solo pianist. Too much piano.

13 One of those Bird tunes I recognise but usually can’t remember the title of. Can’t say this made much impression on me.

14 Now this one is! I know the tune, again, but can’t place it. This reminds me of that Cuban pianist Bola de Nieve, but, didn’t he always sing? I liked that one a lot. There’s a lot of that music I haven’t heard.

15 I thought this was going to be a vocal. And out races this bit of bop! Well, it’s interesting, but really doesn’t grab me.

Well, that was interesting and in some places most invigorating. Thanks Durium. Looking forward to reading all about it.

MG

BFT#70

1. Big thumbs up on this track from me, I enjoy everything about it. Reminds me of the compositions on Coltrane’s Giant Steps album, which was one of my first loves in jazz.

2. More beautiful piano. I don’t own any piano/trumpet duos, so I really dig this.

3. I’ll guess Django Reinhardt and Stepphane Grappelli. Great stuff, I have only recently been exploring such music.

4. Really dig this one. Can’t ID the comp, but I feel like I know the song. All the players really hitting on all cylinders here.

5. Nice bass to open this one, I’m intrigued from the jump. Two basses? Really cool. No clue.

6. Feels ornery somehow, I like that. Isn’t it Slam Stewart who does that bass/humming thing?

7. Kenny Burrell? “Love For Sale?”

8. Meet The Flintstones, lol! Johnny Lytle?

9. Bowed bass intro is edgy, I’m enjoying that. Wondering if the whole track will progress this way, and it appears to be. This is beautifully different from anything else I own. Oh wait, a piano out of nowhere. Good stuff.

10. Some punchy drum machine-type percussion, that’s different. I’m under the impression there’s someone on electric bass and then someone on a piccolo bass over the top. I like it, it’s fun. No guess.

11. Sweet, almost too sweet. Violin and clarinet (I think), definitely not something I have a lot of. It’s dreamy, not really my bag, but very deftly played. A huge contrast from the previous track in some respects, perhaps reflecting overproduction in others…

12. I have no hope of identifying this one. Dazzling playing. The style would have me guess it’s very old, but the recording is very clean so it can’t be.

13. No duos of this sort in my collection either. The whole jam has a playful bounce that doesn’t let up. A great little conversation.

14. You’ve definitely got a taste for the cats who tickle keys, Durium. Remarkable pair of hands here. No guess.

15. Another duo! I’m not going to try.

A fun listen overall, thank you very much for taking the time to put this together, Durium. I’m always more amazed just to read the more-informed listeners make their guesses on these BFTs, since they always notice stuff I don’t/can't/won't. :)

BFT70

Sorry to be so late Durium – so much going on in the run-up to Christmas. But here we go.

1 Well, here’s one I don’t know for a start! Sounds like a feature for a bass player. Well, it IS a feature for a bass player. I was going to say Ray Drummond, before he stared bowing. A very funky piece of bowing, I must say. And it AIN’T Paul Chambers!

2 Nice, quiet, attention-grabbing start to this. The pianist sounds pretty familiar. The trumpet player sounds a bit like Freddie Hubbard, but in a quiet mood, that’s somewhat unlike him. What seemed to be wrong with the trumpet solo is that it was a series of nice phrases strung together, rather than a flow of melody. The pianist is rather better, but still he’s stopping to get a new set of ideas each chorus. It’s a pity, I think, because it would have been a great piece for a sustained lyrical improvisation. Someone like Woody Shaw would be all over a song like this, never ceasing to flow. And a number of pianists from all periods of jazz would have done the same.

3 This is a pretty nice piece. I don’t know who these people are, though the guitarist sounds like Django – which doesn’t mean anything; I’ve even seen Julian Bream playing like Django – and the violinist like Stephane – which also doesn’t mean anything.

4 What a funny sounding sax. Accordion accompaniment, or some kind of synthesiser? If you’ve heard this sax player a time or two, you’d probably guess him, but I know I’ve never heard him before.

5 Two bass feature – or bass & cello – on a tune I think I recognise – it’s not “Through the courtesy of love”, though it’s like it. I think it’s a jazz original. This is bothering me so much that I’m not really paying attention to the players. So I’ll forget what tune it is. At least, it’s a cello and bass. And vey nicely played, if mainly interesting to those with a specialist ear.

Well, that was interesting and in some places most invigorating. Thanks Durium. Looking forward to reading all about it.

MG

Thanks MG for your comments. Sorry that I didn't reply promptly - Christmas preparation at my work too :crazy:

Well let's give it a spin .............

1. No, you're right - it isn't Paul or Ray - As I'm trying to give some hints now and then I 'll do so for this bass player: He won a prestigious jazz award early this year.

2. Thanks for analyzing this track. Maybe you should read my hints I posted some days ago .........

3. You're right - the guitar player sounds like Django, but the violin player ........ ?

This track was already identified, but maybe you love to search for the truth .... post your suggestions, or have a look in one of the previous posts ........ you'll be surprised !!

4. I'm sure you heard about him. I gave some hints in my last post.

5. No - two basses !!

Up to the next five ............

Keep Swinging

Durium

BFT70

6 “Rhythm” – tenor & bass duet. Fast. Major Holley styled bass solo with vocal. Don’t think it’s him, though; voice is different and this is – well, it’s a little bit more modern than Major went. And a bit boring as a whole, really.

I think I’ve guessed your theme, though. These are all bits of combos – not a full rhythm section among them.

7 “Love for sale”. Is this Rene Thomas? Or somebody Guerlay? (Roger?) Both the guitarist and the pianist, whom I can’t even take a shot at, are doing me a lot of good over here. This is really interesting to listen to. Those guys are really together. So fine.

8 “Flintstones theme”! Yay! A little bit of research and I could nail this one. Can’t be many vibes players – no, it’s a xylophone, isn’t it? – who’ve tried this one out. And it’s nice, too.

9 This seems to be a classical piece.

10 Oh, I’m liking this one all right. Reminds me of Dave Holland a bit, but he wouldn’t, I feel, play any music like this – or would he?

MG

Next five ..........

6. No it isn't Major Holley.

7. Just a hint ..... The piano player belongs in the series George Shearing, Ray Charles and Art Tatum ........ and he has something in common with the bass player in track one !!

8. No, there is no vibraphone. It's only one instrument?

9. If Cole Porter is a classical composer?

10. No it isn't Dave Holland.

Keep Swinging

Durium

BFT70

11 This is lovely – but it seems to have a full rhythm section behind it. Not the foggiest idea of who this is but I might start to buy their records. Booful.

12 “Our delight” by a solo pianist. Too much piano.

13 One of those Bird tunes I recognise but usually can’t remember the title of. Can’t say this made much impression on me.

14 Now this one is! I know the tune, again, but can’t place it. This reminds me of that Cuban pianist Bola de Nieve, but, didn’t he always sing? I liked that one a lot. There’s a lot of that music I haven’t heard.

15 I thought this was going to be a vocal. And out races this bit of bop! Well, it’s interesting, but really doesn’t grab me.

MG

The last episode - track 11 up to 15.

11. You're right - it has a rhythm section behind it and in fact it enfeebles the theme - I had selected another track, .......... but, you're right - it's beautiful.

You know the two soloists and I'm sure you've seen the artist playing the strings live on your TV set eleven months ago..............

BTW: This track was already identified, but .......... give it a new spin and try to identify the two major soloists. BTW2: Their records are sold by millions I guess already.

12. One?

13. It isn 't a bird tune, although the title suggests so ..........

14. It's from cuba - you're right. And identified already, but I'll give you a hint: The musicians are relatives.

15. No, they are not singing. It is part of a special CD that contains music and an interview ...........

Well, MG - Thanks for your comment. Know that several tracks have been identified already, so you could thumb to the first coments of yuor listmates, but of course yopu're invited to go in replay.........

Thanks

Keep Swinging

Durium

BFT#70

1. Big thumbs up on this track from me, I enjoy everything about it. Reminds me of the compositions on Coltrane’s Giant Steps album, which was one of my first loves in jazz.

2. More beautiful piano. I don’t own any piano/trumpet duos, so I really dig this.

3. I’ll guess Django Reinhardt and Stepphane Grappelli. Great stuff, I have only recently been exploring such music.

4. Really dig this one. Can’t ID the comp, but I feel like I know the song. All the players really hitting on all cylinders here.

5. Nice bass to open this one, I’m intrigued from the jump. Two basses? Really cool. No clue.

A fun listen overall, thank you very much for taking the time to put this together, Durium. I’m always more amazed just to read the more-informed listeners make their guesses on these BFTs, since they always notice stuff I don’t/can't/won't. :)

Thanks Noj for your coments. It's fun to read what you like .......... and you're right - there is a lot of music you haven't heard !!

Wel - I'll give you some comments about the first part. Mind that I also give some hints now and then to help you and your listmates.

1. I fully agree - a great bass player.

2. I don't think they often played together.

3. Django is on this track, but who is the violin player?

This tracks has already been identified. You could give it a second chance or thumb back ... and be surprised.

4. This track seems to be a breanteaser, but I gave a hint a few days ago - maybe that helps ........... The leader of this group debuted in The Netherlands as the curtain-raiser of the Jay Jay Johnson Quintet more then 50 years ago in a group labeled as the American Jazz Sextet.

5. Sure, two basses.

Thanks Noj, up to now.

Let's have a look at the next five suggestions.

Keep Swinging

Durium

BFT#70

6. Feels ornery somehow, I like that. Isn’t it Slam Stewart who does that bass/humming thing?

7. Kenny Burrell? “Love For Sale?”

8. Meet The Flintstones, lol! Johnny Lytle?

9. Bowed bass intro is edgy, I’m enjoying that. Wondering if the whole track will progress this way, and it appears to be. This is beautifully different from anything else I own. Oh wait, a piano out of nowhere. Good stuff.

10. Some punchy drum machine-type percussion, that’s different. I’m under the impression there’s someone on electric bass and then someone on a piccolo bass over the top. I like it, it’s fun. No guess.

Tere we go ........

6. You're right - it's Slam playing the bass. But who's the reed player? Mind that this one was identified too before ..........

7. No and Yes.

8.No, not Johnny Lytle- it's European ( hint ) :rolleyes:

9. Yes - correct - there is a piano, but do you hear a bass?

10. I don't hear a piccolo bass - in my opinion there is only one person playing the bass.

Well - up to the final list of suggestions.

Keep Swinging

Durium

BFT#70

11. Sweet, almost too sweet. Violin and clarinet (I think), definitely not something I have a lot of. It’s dreamy, not really my bag, but very deftly played. A huge contrast from the previous track in some respects, perhaps reflecting overproduction in others…

12. I have no hope of identifying this one. Dazzling playing. The style would have me guess it’s very old, but the recording is very clean so it can’t be.

13. No duos of this sort in my collection either. The whole jam has a playful bounce that doesn’t let up. A great little conversation.

14. You’ve definitely got a taste for the cats who tickle keys, Durium. Remarkable pair of hands here. No guess.

15. Another duo! I’m not going to try.

Let's face the last five tracks ...........

11. There is no violin player ......... and the man polaying strings is not a jazz musician ...... should that be the reason that you find it too sweet?

The other soloist is a clarinnet player. This track has already ben identiefied and I gave MG an additional hint that he had seen the string player eleven months ago - and so did you ... and you .... and you....... ( and billions others wordl wide) :blink: .

12. If the 1970s is old I must be a greybeard ........ This one has already been identified too.

13. Nobody has a complete collection ............. I always14. tell my wife.

14. Thanks Noj - mind that these two guys are relatives. This track has also been identified.

15. Maybe you're ready to try to launch a suggestion for the theme?

Thanks Noj for your commends. Minds that these BFT are not made to check the members' knowledge in jazz, but to share some great unknown music with others.

Thanks again!

Keep Swinging

Durium

Ah, so I have two possible candidates, from Europe.

The less likely one is Orphy Robinson - this doesn't seem to be his thing, but he does seem to be a guy who could branch out and do something odd, so you never know.

The more likely one is Danny Doriz.

I tried researching this but came up with nothing likely. I was amazed at how many jazz versions of the Flintstones theme there were, however :)

MG

Ah, so I have two possible candidates, from Europe.

The less likely one is Orphy Robinson - this doesn't seem to be his thing, but he does seem to be a guy who could branch out and do something odd, so you never know.

The more likely one is Danny Doriz.

I tried researching this but came up with nothing likely. I was amazed at how many jazz versions of the Flintstones theme there were, however :)

MG

Sorry MG - zero points :blush:

Who says it's only one player? :rolleyes:

Keep Swinging

Durium

• 2 weeks later...