Leno / O'Brien / Kimmel / Letterman

CNN is reporting that O'Brien will sign a deal tomorrow that pays him $40 million to leave NBC and the Tonight Show. The only stipulations are that 1) he has to stop bad mouthing NBC and 2) he can't accept any offers from competing networks for one year. Nice deal. One year should give him just about the time he needs to get a show ready for Fox Television.

$40 million to leave NBC and the Tonight Show????????????WTF, who is in charge of NBC and why do they still have a job..... anywhere.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so right. Conan is too intellectual for a program like the Tonight Show.

I also think Jay is a very nice guy. But he's a very shallow interviewer. He's had many interesting guests and it's frustrating, because they never get into anything interesting. Jay is best when they have something like a dangerous snake and he lets it slither all over him.

Oh c'mon.

Johnny Carson was no brain trust either. He was an entertainer. He interviewed his guests on the lighter side, too. He got laughs and had some fun....with animals, as well. Tonight Show devotees loved it and it worked.

People at that time of the night aren't interested in deep, intellectual discussions. Laughter, unobstrusive laughter, sells to the Tonight Show class of people.

Maybe Conan will find his niche on Fox.

Edited by GoodSpeak

No one wins- my wife is estatic about Leno coming back- I couldn't care less- I like Conan and Letterman over Leno. Leno is for older folks- older than me. Conan is edgy and I like his sense of humor. So we're a divided household. Glad I go to bed at 10:00P- I'm up at 4:30A.

Old folks...?

What...over age 25? :rolleyes:

No one wins- my wife is estatic about Leno coming back- I couldn't care less- I like Conan and Letterman over Leno. Leno is for older folks- older than me. Conan is edgy and I like his sense of humor. So we're a divided household. Glad I go to bed at 10:00P- I'm up at 4:30A.

Old folks...?

I don't think most 25 year olds care for Leno's style of humor at all. In all honesty I think he appeals mostly to people 50+.

not this 50 year old.

I wouldn't expect so, nor most of the people I know. But stated another way, I think people younger than 50 don't care for Leno's humor for the most part.

Heck, the funniest thing about his show IMO are the Jaywalking skits and the Headlines, both of which are funnier than any joke Leno attempts during the rest of the show.

I don't watch any of these shows and I don't really care about the drama of a bunch of millionaires. However...

At least all of the above named gentlemen are talented to some degree or another. Some of them are extremely talented. I'm overwhelmed by the fame of people who do NOTHING AT ALL. People like the Kardashian sisters, Paris Hilton, those knuckleheads on "The Jersey Shore", Jon and Kate, Octomom, etc, etc.

These people are WORSE than untalented. If they were merely untalented you could look at their success and say, "Well, there's no accounting for taste. Obviously these people do something that people enjoy..."

But all of the people I've named do NOTHING. They are famous simply for being famous. They star in reality shows, behave badly in public, have babies, get hair extensions...and what do we do? We lap it up. We beg for more. I mean, I suppose you could argue that multiple births are, in themselves, somewhat extraordinary (remember the Dionne Quintuplets?), so that at least explains the fuss over Octomom and Jon and Kate. But the rest of them? Paris Hilton? The Kardashians? What have they done, other than have the good fortune to have been born into money? And the "Jersey Shore" people...

What is the fascination? Is it merely distraction? I tell you, every time I look at the cover of "People" magazine in the store, all I can think is that they are fiddling while Rome burns...

Old folks...?

I don't think most 25 year olds care for Leno's style of humor at all. In all honesty I think he appeals mostly to people 50+.

I see.

Conan has a Carl's Jr. commercial appeal. Edgy, in-your-face humor. King of the Hill/20-something humor.

So we blithly cast aside anyone over 25 and expect a success story?

Tell me, is "young" the only demographic in this country who spends money? Or, more to the point, has enough money to spend? Or, even more to the point, gives the money to the young ones to spend?

Yeah, you're right. The Boomers don't matter anymore, huh.

Hm.

Time to reassess.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I'm watching Leno now. Looks like the Home Shopping Network to me. He's selling stuff (the movie Avatar, with an interview the director).

So....does Leno have to be just like Conan or can we allow for a variety of comedic styles? Maybe you don't like Leno. Now how about that?

I dunno.

Maybe you lack a sense of humor.

Seems to me that we are comparing apples to oranges in order to justify Conan's comedy against Leno.

I'm watching Leno now. Looks like the Home Shopping Network to me. He's selling stuff (the movie Avatar, with an interview the director).

So....does Leno have to be just like Conan or can we allow for a variety of comedic styles? Maybe you don't like Leno. Now how about that?

I dunno.

Maybe you lack a sense of humor.

Seems to me that we are comparing apples to oranges in order to justify Conan's comedy against Leno.

Nah. I'm sure Conan's selling something, too.

I see.

Conan has a Carl's Jr. commercial appeal. Edgy, in-your-face humor. King of the Hill/20-something humor.

Tell me, is "young" the only demographic in this country who spends money? Or, more to the point, has enough money to spend? Or, even more to the point, gives the money to the young ones to spend?

Hm.

Time to reassess.

"Young" is the demographic the advertisers want. Not "old". "Young" are the ones more influenced by the commercials than "old".

Leno going back to do the Tonight Show isn't going to bring in the younger viewers - they'll watch Letterman and O'Brien, wherever he ends up.

I don't watch any of these shows and I don't really care about the drama of a bunch of millionaires. However...

At least all of the above named gentlemen are talented to some degree or another. Some of them are extremely talented. I'm overwhelmed by the fame of people who do NOTHING AT ALL. People like the Kardashian sisters, Paris Hilton, those knuckleheads on "The Jersey Shore", Jon and Kate, Octomom, etc, etc.

These people are WORSE than untalented. If they were merely untalented you could look at their success and say, "Well, there's no accounting for taste. Obviously these people do something that people enjoy..."

But all of the people I've named do NOTHING. They are famous simply for being famous. They star in reality shows, behave badly in public, have babies, get hair extensions...and what do we do? We lap it up. We beg for more. I mean, I suppose you could argue that multiple births are, in themselves, somewhat extraordinary (remember the Dionne Quintuplets?), so that at least explains the fuss over Octomom and Jon and Kate. But the rest of them? Paris Hilton? The Kardashians? What have they done, other than have the good fortune to have been born into money? And the "Jersey Shore" people...

What is the fascination? Is it merely distraction? I tell you, every time I look at the cover of "People" magazine in the store, all I can think is that they are fiddling while Rome burns...

Apparently, you have not seen Kim Kardashian's epic butt! :crazy: Not to take anything away from her all natural :eye: :eye:

But yeah, the world would be a better place if we had never heard of the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, Jon and Kate, etc, etc...

I see.

Hm.

Time to reassess.

"Young" is the demographic the advertisers want. Not "old". "Young" are the ones more influenced by the commercials than "old".

Leno going back to do the Tonight Show isn't going to bring in the younger viewers - they'll watch Letterman and O'Brien, wherever he ends up.

And that's fine, too.

When they get to be "old folks" too, I imagine they will tire of the Conan schtick.

Heck, the funniest thing about his show IMO are the Jaywalking skits and the Headlines, both of which are funnier than any joke Leno attempts during the rest of the show.

That's all I ever saw; I never stuck around for the interviews.

As for Conan, I haven't watched him since Andy Richter left. Not due to Richter leaving, it just worked out that way.

And those of you who say Leno is for older people, remember, we gave up on the whole tonight show thing when Carson retired.

As for Conan, I haven't watched him since Andy Richter left. Not due to Richter leaving, it just worked out that way.

Just as an FYI, Andy has been Conan's announcer/foil/right hand man for the past 7 months. I think he'll stick with Conan wherever O'Brien ends up, too.

I don't watch reality shows- my life is all the reality I need! :) I like it enough!

I'm not awake to watch anything past 10:00P so I miss everything. I'll DVR Conan and skip to the skits. Leno is "comfortable" to a lot of people because he's been on so long- just like Johnny Carson was with our parents- depending on how old you are of course. Letterman is my preference- always has been since he hosted a morning show in the 80s. Frankly, I wish Conan never left the 12:30 slot- I liked him there.

Jon Stewart FTW, as they say.

Jon Stewart is an absolute scream!

Nobody funnier right now, IMHO.

I think "Headlines" was the best part of Leno's show—and it came from the viewers.

I agree, "Headlines" was the best part of Leno's Tonight Show. The interviews were either a snooze-fest or painful.

Oh c'mon.

It isn't that bad.