"Ella Swings Gently With Nelson"

Larry Kart

Ronnie Lang is credited in the liner notes, but that's it. Muted trumpet sounds like Sweets, natch, but I'm curious about the pianist and the powerful open trumpet on "I Can't Get Started" (sounds like someone from a ways back, maybe Mannie Klein?) -- and everyone else if possible. Ella was in great voice here, very relaxed.

Even Michel Ruppli's Clef/Verve discography doesn't give any personnel listings. The recordings were made in LA on November 13-14-15 and December 27, 1961 and April 9-10, 1962. The sessions were released on 2 LPs, Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson (Verve V-4054 mono/V6-4054 stereo) and Ella Swings Gently with Nelson (Verve V-4055 mono/V6-4055 stereo).

Ronnie Lang is credited in the liner notes, but that's it. Muted trumpet sounds like Sweets, natch, but I'm curious about the pianist and the powerful open trumpet on "I Can't Get Started" (sounds like someone from a ways back, maybe Mannie Klein?) -- and everyone else if possible. Ella was in great voice here, very relaxed.

Wish I knew, but I suspect that Edison wasn't on the date - by that point Riddle's trumpet features were typically reserved for Cappy Lewis or Shorty Sherock.

Wish I knew, but I suspect that Edison wasn't on the date - by that point Riddle's trumpet features were typically reserved for Cappy Lewis or Shorty Sherock.

Thanks -- Lewis sounds look a good bet for warm, big-in-tone unmuted trumpet on "I Can't Get Started."