A Booker Little question!

Alexander Hawkins

On the BBC around 10 days ago, there was a radio documentary about Booker Little. Towards the end of the show, there was a wonderful piece - but I don't know what it was. It is driving me crazy(!) that it isn't listed on the BBC website, because as soon as I heard it, I knew it was a must-have for me! Anyway, I was wondering whether some kind person with a better knowledge of Booker Little than myself could help me identify the piece, please?

It was very slow, almost rubato tempo-wise. The whole extract was a solo trumpet solo, with occasional chordal interpolations from (I think) a tenor and a trombone. It was characterised by wide, angular melodic leaps, and a real melancholy feeling.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks as always.

You can't go wrong with Booker Little. Get his "4 & Max Roach" (Bluenote CD), "And Friend" (Bethlehem, also reissued on CD) and "Out Front" (Candid, CD too). There was a fourth LP of his (which I don't own) on Time, I think. "Far Cry" (by Eric Dolphy, a Prestige/OJC release) is a further good one.

If you get this stuff, you will most probably find the track you were talking about, and you will find quite a lot to marvel about, too!

ubu

Originally posted by king ubu:

"Far Cry" (by Eric Dolphy, a Prestige/OJC release) is a further good one.

Wonderful recording!

From his work with Dolphy, I´d add the two Prestige volumes "At the Five Spot" (1961) and "Memorial album" (1961).

He was included in Coltrane´s Africa/Brass sessions too!

I'll stick my neck out and suggest that it was "Man of Words" (dedicated to Nat Hentoff) from Out Front]. Ron Carter bows and Eric Dolphy sustains notes on Bass Clarinet on that track, so it is not impossible for it to be the music in question.

Thanks for all the help.

Actually, Philip, maybe you're right: I wasn't really thinking, and because I didn't hear an alto in the mix, thought that it would be the tenor/'bone front line rather than the Dolphy one. Shame on me for forgetting his other instruments!

I've just managed to plug some working speakers into my computer, so I'll try to find some sound clips to help!

• 2 weeks later...

A really excellent selection of music on this programme, honourable mention also for the extract from the 'Five Spot' date with Dolphy. A shame that there was nothing from the quartet session on Time (also reissued I recall on vinyl as 'The Legendary Quartet session' on Island). Having said that, a very good overview of a musician whose importance increases with every year that goes past.

Enjoy ! If you like those you'll definitely want to pick up the 'Five Spot' disks too.

The Eric Dolphy 'Complete Prestige' box is a good way to acquire these on CD. On vinyl, it may be possible to pick up the 3-LP Prestige green label set second hand..

Or even an original deep groove .. :o:lol::g

There are 4 LP's under Booker Little's leadership that I know of. Add another session or two that he played on, and you'd have a real nice Mosaic Select set.

Recently I've been listening to "The Fantastic Frank Strozier" CD (Vee-Jay reissue on Koch.) Nothing wrong with Strozier, but if anyone's fantastic on that session it's Booker. Man, he digs deep into the blues!