My New Album...

ep1str0phy

Thanks for the kind words, folks! Making music for your muse and making music for others can be two completely different things, but I'm genuinely glad when people take to our more agonizing creative choices...

Speaking of which, the White Album thing (as a model of length and eclecticism) was something that occurred to me in the process of editing and sequencing the album, and I was wondering if someone thought the same. We actually left off some of our favorite live pieces--music that is fun to play/in the ethos but completely derailed the momentum of the album (ex. a more explicit head/improv/head free jazz duo piece, a somewhat drawn out Marion Brown tribute, a solo piano piece, etc. etc.).

Maybe it's because sprawling epics like The White Album have been burned into our aesthetic consciousnesses, but it can be easy to take for granted just how tightly constructed and internally coherent some of these grab bag kind of projects actually are. Another way of putting it--it's in certain ways absurd how songs like "Not Guilty" and "Circles" can get left off of an album when "Wild Honey Pie" and "Good Night" avoid the chopping block, but there's a lot to be said for the complexity of composing an album itself (a process that entails, in macrocosm, any number of the normal musical variables--key and intervallic relations if you're intense like Coltrane, but really anything like space, orchestration, tempo, etc.). I'm squarely of the mind that the most successful album constructions--like The White Album or even something briefer and more deceptively simple, like Tago Mago or Songs for a Tailor--are as eloquent and wonderful as the most revered album length pieces (A Love Supreme, People In Sorrow, Afternoon of a Georgia Faun, Freedom Now Suite, etc.).

Edited by ep1str0phy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...