Brahms Lieder

bertrand

I believe you were misinformed; Brahms owned volumes of Lenau poetry but never set it.

Schumann Sechs Gedict von N. Lenau you know, of course; there was in the late '90s/early '00s a Czezslaw Marek revival of sorts-- his Fünf Lenau-Lieder is out there somewhere.

I have not heard nor read Albert Moeschinger's TWO Lenau cycles but if so inclined-->

http://www.musinfo.ch/index.php?content=maske_personen&pers_id=177&setLanguage=en

I was told that Brahms wrote lieders based on poems by Hungarian poet Nikolas Lenau. Is this available on CD? A google search proved inconclusive.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

• 3 weeks later...

Please do-- I'm still skeptical but haven't read all German literature. I'm also not with my Brahms lied disc but don't see any evidence here--

Brahms's Song Collections

Researching The Song: A Lexicon

Liszt and R. Strauss used Lenau texts yes but... Moms' incipient menopause might explain it.

Turns out there are a couple of Brahms lieders based on Lenau poems. I will get the reference later, but there is a CD out there. Schumann does have a lot more, though.

Bertrand.