Tunes you wouldn't expect some artists to play.

Hardbopjazz

Jimmy Ponder - 'The creator has a master plan'- on 'Smething to ponder' (Muse)

Gloria Lynne SINGING Kenny Burrell's 'All day long' (with her own words) on 'This one's on me' (HighNote)

Tommy McCook playing a Reggae version of 'Take five' (from 'Instrumental' - Justice) on FLUTE!

Buddy Guy playing 'Moanin''

Baby Washington singing 'Doodlin''

Harold Mabern playing Earth Wind & Fire's 'Fantasy' (Venus) - and on the same album, 'Lollipops & roses'; Donnie Hathaway's 'Harlem dawn' and the Sesame Street theme.

Africando singing 'La vie en rose' on the album 'Baloba' (Syllart)

Coumba Gawlo singing 'Fa fa fa fa fa fa' and the title track on the album 'Pata pata' (RCA France)

The Mar-Keys playing 'Sack o' woe' on their first LP 'Last night' (Stax)

MG

Buddy Guy was interviewed on the Tavis Smiley Show recently. He talked about how he listens to mostly gospel and jazz, along with some country and western, but very little blues . For him, it is about learning how to incorporate the unique bits from others' playing into his (stealing licks, as he put it.)

He mentioned being happy when his sets used to get over in time for him to go see Gene Ammons play.

Buddy Guy was interviewed on the Tavis Smiley Show recently. He talked about how he listens to mostly gospel and jazz, along with some country and western, but very little blues . For him, it is about learning how to incorporate the unique bits from others' playing into his (stealing licks, as he put it.)

He mentioned being happy when his sets used to get over in time for him to go see Gene Ammons play.

That's nice. Makes me smile a lot.

MG

• 5 years later...
On 10/9/2012 at 1:23 AM, GA Russell said:

We have discussed in the past the Rhino album Golden Throats, which featured...

Jack Webb singing Try a Little Tenderness, and

William Shatner singing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

I came across the album Movie Stars Sing! today, and of course I thought of Golden Throats right away.

TTK, do you have this one?  It has songs sung by Vince Edwards, Troy Donohue and Ricardo Montalban!
https://www.oldies.com/product-view/67446O.html