(orchestral) Messiaen

David Ayers

It's Easter and I would like to take your opinions on Messiaen's orchestral works. I notice these can be had as a great 10 CD set from DG, most of which I already have.

I am long familiar with Turangalila, Chronochromie and with Eclairs. Just revisiting Canyons. I don't really love Turangalila but know it and have heard it in concert (where it truly takes on its full, mad dimension!). Eclairs I have long liked though now find it less than fully compelling or convincing. The Boulez recording of Chronochromie is a marvel. Coming back to Canyons, which I thought of maybe as yet-more-birdsong and didn't properly absorb, I find myself pretty much at home in it and it moves right up my chart. I didn't get on with Transfiguration and haven't listened to it in some time. Tried again Concerts a quatre (excuse lack of diacritical marks in this post, by the way) but didn't get on with it that much. Other pieces I have yet to return to.

Anybody else have opinions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There are good opportunities to hear Messiaen orchestral work in London this season. Eclairs is being done by BBCSO, Gergiev/LSO weigh in with Ascension and Offrandes oubliees as part of their Scriabin cycle (synaesthesia is the link; and yes, that is all five Scriabin symphonies), LSO also offers Turangalila, and perhaps best of all LPO brings Canyons with Eschenbach. Go Oliver.

• 1 year later...