Keith Jarrett: Somewhere

CJ Shearn

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal fav is "Still Live" as well as all the video sets, which were smartly packaged by ECM as twofers. John Kelman of AAJ says this ranks with "Still Live" to him, so would that be a fair assessment Lon? Other titles from the trio that rank highly for me are the above mentioned "My Foolish Heart", "Whisper Not" "Up For It" and the Live @ the BN box (which sadly I no longer own).

Like all the others - personally, I'm quite content with that. Three superb musicians bringing out different shapes from much loved tunes.

If you require recordings to trace a line of development or 'get better' then you might be disappointed. If you take it on its own terms, a very pleasurable hour.

I especially like the two Bernstein tunes.

My personal fav is "Still Live" as well as all the video sets, which were smartly packaged by ECM as twofers. John Kelman of AAJ says this ranks with "Still Live" to him, so would that be a fair assessment Lon? Other titles from the trio that rank highly for me are the above mentioned "My Foolish Heart", "Whisper Not" "Up For It" and the Live @ the BN box (which sadly I no longer own).

Well it's been a long time since "Still Live" and these are three different musicians now with all these additional years of experience. I don't know if you'll like this one as much as the earlier one. I don't really tend to rank recordings. I think I'll play this one a bit more often than a few of the ones this century, but ti's early to tell.

Cool, thanks. I really like the three point ride cymbal Jack plays these days. It's really amazing how these guys still play together as a unit. All of the recordings I've heard of this band are good, so it's a matter of what I feel like in the moment.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Like all the others - personally, I'm quite content with that. Three superb musicians bringing out different shapes from much loved tunes.

If you require recordings to trace a line of development or 'get better' then you might be disappointed. If you take it on its own terms, a very pleasurable hour.

I especially like the two Bernstein tunes.

Totally agree. Perhaps not the one I would choose at this point if I could only take one, but it's very good and very enjoyable. ("Whisper Not" would be my choice, I think).

Edited by John Tapscott

I still gotta get that one, was Motian subbing for Jack a one time thing in that band? I love "Changeless". "Endless" is one of the most beautiful tracks I've ever heard, one of my closest friends who has played piano (not jazz) since she was 3, I sent her the YT link for and she loved it. Just ordered a copy of "At the Deerhead Inn" from Amazon Marketplace for $4

Edited by CJ Shearn

What about Motian irks you, Lon? Is it his completely resonant bassdrum sound with no deadening, his free time approach? I think he adds something very very special to that recent Chick Corea trio with Eddie Gomez, which I must listen to again. I share your enthusiasm for Jack with Keith, I get the KJ trio albums as much for Keith as I do Jack, and anyone who says Jack is too loud as a drummer isn't listening to any of these sides carefully. There's so much to listen to, I will get "Deer Head" another time

But still to this day, At The Deerhead Inn is the standard by which all other Jarrett trio albums are measured.

Really? I'm not that much of a Motian fan (as a drummer he just irks me) and I play that one least often.

Yep, it is truly my favorite. Not really sure why, but that one just resonates the most with me.

And I'm a huge DeJohnette fan.

So do you like any of the Standards Trio albums more yet?

I'm not sure how to explain my irritation with Motian, I just rarely connect with him and something about the way he tunes his kit and maneuvers around it just. . .irks me. It's a personal thing and I think if I weren't a drummer, it wouldn't be much of a big deal, but I really don't enjoy his playing much.

I've loved Jack's playing ever since I first heard him (on "Miles Davis at Fillmore.") I bought a Sonor kit 25 years ago just because he plays them. :)

I understand Lon. His implied swinging and dealing with time takes getting used to, as it does with Jack, but Jack locks into a groove so much even when he's not outright swinging or playing a deep in the pocket funk or rock. One of the tunes that's so great on "Whisper Not" is that gorgeous "Poinciana". The great thing Lon when I saw Jack live back in 2008 with Pat Metheny and Larry Grenadier was I was literally right in front of Jack, those drums sound amazing! The heads sound close to calfskin, and you'd think those cymbals make for a better sound recorded but they sound so wonderful live, ironically enough.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Agreed on Whisper not. Standards In Norway, Tokyo '96, and The Out-Of-Towners are all excellent as well.

But still to this day, At The Deerhead Inn is the standard by which all other Jarrett trio albums are measured.

Agree with this totally. I forgot about Deerhead because I was thinking of the ones with Jack. Deerhead Inn may well be the best, IMO. Motian is quite different than Jack, of course, but he swings like crazy on this one. Great, great CD.