Your Favorite AACM Recordings (no limit now)

paul secor

MI0001404803.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

p00824faoly.jpg

My introduction to any jazz was small book by Barry MacRae "The Jazz Handbook" (1987 Longman). It was the perfect introduction to jazz covering each decade , combining bios, photos and limited recommendations of titles to try. The chapter on the 1960s started with the first image above, the next two pages covered Muhal Richard Abrams and AEC. For the AEC the recommended listening was 1. People in sorrow 2. Message to our folks, 3 With Fontella Bass, 4 Live at Mandel Hall, 5 Fanfare for the warriors and 6 Nice Guys.

I was absolutely intrigued by the text and the imagery. the group photo combined a sense of fun, some seriousness and sense of African identity. The picture of Bowie alone suggested careful listening and serious intent. I had to find something by these guys preferably the first on the list (People in Sorrow) because I assumed it must be the best. Of course being at that time being a "CD only" buyer I failed , until I picked up very cheaply on CD Jackson in your house/ Message to our folks. It was some while later that I found People in sorrow, it indeed probably deserved top billing by MacRae ( if that was his intent) . So my thanks to Barry MacRae for a great little book and getting me intrigued about the AEC.

Any thoughts on his choices, a good cross section of early AEC work ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birth Of A Notion (an amazing record in so many ways). Will look for those, believe it.

if you still have it you will see on the back cover a liitle note: join the shadow vignettes fan club wrte to box.... i found that funny and wrote a short semi-serious fan mail to them from zurich.. i got a short semi serious thank you letter back. later in chicago when i got to know him a bit better i knew that he would play funny little jokes like that; i do'nt know when that's normally done but maybe at the beginning of the second set the mc or the bandleader would say that some musicians would like to make some announcements . one or twp would say when and where they can be heard nexi. one would say that he/she has a new cd coming out etc and wilkerson woul say something like I have a microwave for sale. funny cat and an extremely nice guy too.

somebody made a documentary about the shadow vignettes. you can see a excerpt on the tube. i have it somwhere but i am in a situation like you, i am unpacking so i can't give you more info now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLNM4N2WZpg

Thanks for posting that. I had no idea of the existence of this band. I've just ordered a copy of the LP!