What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Please advise? Both about the composer and the recording, as well as a good starting point, should one be desired.

Please, advise!

I'm just beginning. I was enticed by Rott's Wiki entry - for example "Rott began to evidence persecutory delusions. In October 1880, while on a train journey, he reportedly threatened another passenger with a revolver, claiming that Brahms had filled the train with dynamite. Rott was committed to a mental hospital in 1881, where despite a brief recovery he sank into depression. By the end of 1883 a diagnosis recorded "hallucinatory insanity, persecution mania—recovery no longer to be expected." He died of tuberculosis in 1884, aged 25. Many well-wishers, including Bruckner and Mahler, attended Rott's funeral at the Zentralfriedhof in Vienna."

Edited by Chuck Nessa

24 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I'm just beginning. I was enticed by Rott's Wiki entry - for example "Rott began to evidence persecutory delusions. In October 1880, while on a train journey, he reportedly threatened another passenger with a revolver, claiming that Brahms had filled the train with dynamite. Rott was committed to a mental hospital in 1881, where despite a brief recovery he sank into depression. By the end of 1883 a diagnosis recorded "hallucinatory insanity, persecution mania—recovery no longer to be expected." He died of tuberculosis in 1884, aged 25. Many well-wishers, including Bruckner and Mahler, attended Rott's funeral at the Zentralfriedhof in Vienna."

So, Phil Spector personality meets Mahler music...I am intrigued by that oversimplification and am interested in fleshing it out with some reality from down here on the 21st century ground. Thanks!.

Re-listening to and weeding out a  good many LPs, I was a bit surprised by how much I liked Ormandy's Sibelius 2 (the circa 1957 Columbia recording) -- a piece that has a special meaning to me. My performance of preference has long been Hannikainen's, and I'll stick with that, but there's a rhythmic sweep to Ormandy's reading that is hard to deny -- one feels that the Philadephians found that their virtues and the nature of this piece were a perfect match.

Another vintage gem was the Concert-Disc recording of the Mozart (K. 452) and Beethoven Piano Quintets with Frank Glazer and the New York Woodwind Quartet (David Glazer, Arthur Weisberg, John Barrow, and Jerome Roth). I have about five recordings of K. 452 (a favorite piece), and this one IMO is the best.