Washington, DC folks, what's the best way to get to the Naval Academy in Annapolis?

I'll be in DC for a couple of days next month, staying in a hotel near the National Mall. Really want to visit the NA Museum in Annapolis. Unless I'm missing it, there is no convenient way to do it via public transportation. Not crazy about renting a car, but is this the only sensible way to do it, for a 1/2-day trip? i was under the impression that the DC and environs are served very well by the rail system.

Naah, way too much hassle. I just reserved a rental car, although I can imagine the traffic is going to be mad.

What's going on jazz-wise in DC? Just saw that the Bohemian Caverns is closing at the end of March.

Oh, and what's the best record store in town? Got to get me some more vinyl. :g

Edited by Dmitry

Yeah, the MARC train would only take you to Bowie, I think, and that's probably the closest you'll get using public transportation. The area is served well if you need to get to the immediate DC suburbs, or between DC and Baltimore. Anything west or east of that immediate corridor and you're on your own.

I was just in Baltimore a few weeks ago, and used the Light Rail and MARC train to get from my hotel in Baltimore to my next hotel in DC. I had never realized (or maybe just never checked) just how close they are. Took about 45 min or so to go from Baltimore to DC. 

No idea about record stores in DC, although I did see a FYE in Union Station!

• 3 months later...

Ended up renting a car, came out cheaper than hopping from train to bus, and infinitely more convenient. Naval Academy is a must for a history buff. That museum is something else! If you're into naval history, you have to make an effort to visit. The John Paul Jones' crypt is a solemn and beautiful memorial.

DC is an expensive place, but no more so that most large metropolitan areas in the US. We'll be back next year, god willing. Got to hit some other national museums.