Mini guitar amps?

skeith

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

IMO there's a difference between digital reverb on a pedal and spring reverb on an amp or a head unit like the Fender or Shreyer Audio reverb units. I prefer the latter for the most part for what I do on and with guitars. But it's a personal preference. . . we're all different. 

Never tested it, but I can't imagine you'll ever get a "true" spring reverb sound from anything electronic. If you're a reverb purist or anywhere close to one that's not going to cut it, I'm sure.

I have a Schertler.The model is Giulia. It weighs 11 pounds, has 50 watts, and I've used it in groups with drums. It has a 'warm' switch, which really is warm. On one gig it distorted when I played chords---maybe that was an aberration.(No battery capability). I recommend it. Link: http://www.schertler.com/en_US/shop/amplifiers

I also have (and have had before) a Roland Microcube. It weighs next to nothing, and I can carry it long distances on my shoulder with a strap I improvised from a guitar strap. Sound is pretty good, though a little thin. Has reverb and effects (which I ignore) It mostly is indicated for outdoor playing (AC/DC), but could be easily used on solo or duo gigs. With drums is pushing it a bit. Very nice product for what it is. I get lots of use out of it.

don't recommend---and find overrated---AER amps. I bought one once, primarily b/c it had a switch for North European current, and I was moving to Holland. It's pretty portable, too. It sounded so sterile, though, that I really hated it. Unloaded it when I got back home (fortunately I recouped most of my $). Many would disagree, and I'm by no means saying it's a bad amp or product . That was just my experience.

Edited by fasstrack

• 4 weeks later...

For the record I ended up buying the Fender Champion 20 ($99) and have had it for a couple of weeks...and it is serving the purpose.  I came very close to getting the Roland Microcube as it sounded very  good but it was 50% more and I was afraid I might need more power.

The Champion 20 is one of those modeling amps with all the pluses and minuses-the latter being that is has about a dozen classic amp sounds-but probably none of them quite get it exactly.  But it is small enough (I would have preferred even smaller) and packs a lot of power for its size....it easily gets too loud for an apartment.  The reverb on it may not be the greatest and you have a choice of different reverb sounds.....but the whole amp is cheaper than any reverb pedal and I get sick sometimes of so many chords and outboard devices.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Edited by skeith
spelling error