Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lazaro Vega

Joey DeFrancesco

4 posts in this topic

Since re-invigorating international interest in the sound of the Hammond organ in the 1980's, Joey Defrancesco grew from prodigy to standard bearer, and we featured a wide variety of his celebrated music (including his trumpet playing) Friday night during Jazz From Blue Lake, which you'll find here: www.bluelake.org/ondemand

joeydefrancesco_lameziajazz2012_01.jpg

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Amazingly talented organist who has not always been well-served by either the hype machine or by some his own taste/decisions.  At his best on record, he's incredible.  I've never seen him live, even though I have lived within five  miles of the Balligomingo Inn for 40 years.

I saw him once in Pat Martino's trio (Billy Hart on drums) with Eric Alexander sitting in.  Though there's a chance I saw him with Miles somewhere in the '80's (Pier 47 in NYC, if anyone remembers that).

He opened a concert for the Manhattan Transfer that I covered for the Grand Rapids Press -- big show, DeVos Hall. After his set he was introducing the band, finished, then someone in the crowd shouted, "Who are you?" He seemed a bit surprised, recovered, said his name and played the band off. 

With Hope College's Jazz Program now offering an Organ Major -- a degree in jazz organ -- I'm betting Joey D's going to be coming around.