Matthew Shipp interview

This interview makes it seem more ambiguous; it can still be read as the 'slowing down' will lead to a complete stop once those ESP albums come out. I've read other recent interviews where it's been more explicit that he's got recordings (i think already in the can but i can't remember) coming out on Rogue Art and ESP and then that's it. Still, quite mercurial, isn't he? I think that it's very possible that he will record again at some point. I hope so anyway, but if not, maybe he has said all that he has to say.

Listening to "Piano Song" now and it's a very strong recording and will be a good one to end with if that is indeed the case. The interview is fairly ambivalent as I read it. Seems to me that he feels a break is a positive move at the moment. He's left us enough very good music to listen to and as long as he pops over to London every now an again so be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another recent interview, and a very interesting one (nice one Clifford!). Thought i'd post it here rather than starting a new thread (there's a lot of Shipp interview threads!).

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/matthew-shipp-piano-phases

Great to have some of his thoughts on Allen Lowe and working with him documented. 

So interesting to hear his admiration of, and desire to work with, Kool Keith and Madlib, two of my favourites from my hip hop obsessed days. Antipop Consortium and El-P were also favourites, and it cracks me up that i was completely oblivious to Shipp when he worked with them. As in, i didn't go "who's this Shipp guy?" and investigate further. Now i'm as obsessed with Shipp's music as i was with El-P et al 15-20 years ago.